A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial for Coffee Dye/Paint  (Read 10459 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftyhandbags
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007 05:29:35 PM »

I saw this while having breakfast (and COFFEE!!!) this morning before work.  I've been thinking about it ALL DAY.  I'm planning to reduce some coffee this evening.  Can't wait to try it! 

I'm already envisioning doing mendhi designs on fabric to see if I can. 

I don't think I mentioned this before, but i LOVE the fabric/clutch you made!  The almost-tone-on-tone is so subtle but beautiful. 
Thank you so much, I was going for an elegant, simple look.  Hurry up and do it already, so I can see what you do! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

I have an etsy!!!  http://craftybagsetc.etsy.com
subloke
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007 07:26:06 PM »

Hurry up and do it already, so I can see what you do! Grin

The coffee sludge dye is cooling in the fridge so I can experiment...  patience?  what's that? 

Have you tried dying other types of fabrics?  I've been thinking about t-shirt designs with the coffee dye this afternoon...  hmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
craftyhandbags
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007 07:53:17 PM »

I haven't tried any other fabrics, but I bet anything natural would work.  I got a really good deal on the muslin, so I've just been doing that.  Oh!  I did try it on canvas, and that worked.  Not painting canvas, but tote bag canvas.
Did you taste the sludge?  My five year old wanted to taste it (he's odd- I know), so I let him.  I should've had a camera for that face!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

GrandTheftUno
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007 07:49:42 PM »

i love this! its coffee henna!

or atleast thats what I'd call it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiberartist219
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007 06:55:08 AM »

I would still consider it dyeing. Many dyers thicken up their dyes to a paint consistency. The difference between paint and dye is that paint just sits on top of the fabric, even after laundering. Dye, however, bonds to the fibers themselves, and when you wash it out, there is no stiffness. It still feels the same as the fabric would have if you didn't do anything to it.

Anyway, I wonder if my espresso maker would be helpful for this. Hmm... It will certainly be helpful in making some cappucino and get me moving!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyhandbags
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007 10:28:47 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I'm not a real technical person, so half the time I just go with it and figure out the specifics later.  As long as it looks good, who cares what terms you use!
You may need to fire it up quite a bit, I used a whole pot of the stuff.  Of course, I did have some left over.  For a small project a few shots would be enough.  Yeah, I did drink a few cups while making this.  I can't smell coffee without wanting some!  Mmmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shiitake
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007 07:37:38 AM »

This sounds a very nice thing to do so I hope that I will have time to try.I have "painted" with wheat flour/water-mix and it's also a nice and cheap way to decorate fabric.I have a question : can you wash the fabric which is painted with this technique or does it fade?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftyhandbags
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007 07:49:12 AM »

This sounds a very nice thing to do so I hope that I will have time to try.I have "painted" with wheat flour/water-mix and it's also a nice and cheap way to decorate fabric.I have a question : can you wash the fabric which is painted with this technique or does it fade?

I have washed the bag I made many times, and it's holding OK.  I wouldn't bleach it or wash it in hot water.  I've been using mild detergent (no bleach alternative) and cold water.
How does the wheat flour/water mix work?  Does it wash off?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Babyangel
Photographer, mommy, late night crafter

I made the BEST OF 2007 with my love letter box!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007 04:11:18 PM »

Ooooooohhhhhh! Cheesy My mom and i love coffee, we have a ton given to us ... thats flavored and cheap so it doesnt taste good, would flavored coffee work too? Sure it would right? ..... thinking of ideas....

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the clutch too! Its gorgeous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftyhandbags
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007 08:27:09 PM »

Ooooooohhhhhh! Cheesy My mom and i love coffee, we have a ton given to us ... thats flavored and cheap so it doesnt taste good, would flavored coffee work too? Sure it would right? ..... thinking of ideas....

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the clutch too! Its gorgeous!!

I don't see why not.  The flavor doesn't usually add any color to the drink, so I don't think it should alter the color of the dye.  Let me know!
Thanks!  I love the clutch, too.  It'll be hard to part with, but I can always make more!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: J. Edgar
New James Bond Film Titled Skyfall
Will the Arab Spring Affect Films?
Bree Williamson on the Changing of the Film Industry
Behind the Scenes of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...