A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial for Coffee Dye/Paint  (Read 10417 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftyhandbags
« on: August 08, 2007 08:11:10 AM »

Thanks Vanillaxlight for directing me on where to put this!  Sometimes, my blond roots show.  Grin  PS- This is the technique I used to make my challenge bag!

Coffee Dye/Painting

This process was done on 100% unbleached muslin. I have not tried it on any other fabrics, but I imagine any blend of cotton would work. As far as the rest of the materials, youll need coffee and some sort of thickener such as cornstarch or arrowroot. I do not recommend flour for this process. If you can get organic, I strongly recommend that you use it so it adds to the earth friendliness. Fairly traded coffee is also a great idea.

This first thing you need to do is brew a strong, strong pot of coffee. For those of you that have a French Press, this would be the time to use it. While it is still piping hot, you can dunk the fabric into it to get a tea stained look. I stained the lining of my bag, but I only left it in for a minute because I didnt want it too dark. Rinse the fabric well in a vinegar-water mixture (one part vinegar to three parts water). Once the excess coffee stain is rinsed out, rinse the fabric in plain water, ring out well, hang to dry or iron the fabric with an iron set on cotton until its dry.

With the leftover coffee, put it into a pan and boil it over medium heat until it has evaporated into a syrup about the consistency of milk, this may take an hour; be patient and stir every 10 to 15 minutes so the bottom doesnt burn.

The smell of coffee reducing is strong and lingering, so you may want to turn on your exhaust fans or open a window. Once it has reduced stir in about a tablespoon of thickener according to your package directions; most will tell you to dissolve the thickener first in a small amount of cold water. Using a whisk, whip the mixture to remove all lumps, and if necessary add water in small amounts until the stain is the consistency of poster paint or the fabric paints in squeeze bottles. Once its cooled, you may want to put it in a squeeze bottle, the thinner the nozzle the better.

Apply the stain in whatever way is easiest for you, either the squeeze bottle or a paintbrush. Do not put the stain on too thickly, or it will bleed.

This is obviously too thickly applied, but your paint should be this consistency.  I applied this with a hair dye squeeze bottle.  You can find those at beauty supply stores.

Leave it to dry completely, preferably overnight. Once it has dried, heat set the design with an iron set on cotton setting with a press cloth for about a minute keeping the iron moving so you dont burn anything.

before washing

after washing

I tried several different ways of setting and rinsing the design, but decided this way gives the best result, dark and with very little bleeding.

After you have heat set it, rinse the fabric in the same way as described above with the vinegar-water scrubbing to remove any thick blobs of paint sitting on the fabric. Rinse again in plain water, and either hang to dry or dry with the iron (I recommend drying the design with an iron, there is less bleeding of the design.)

You can wash the fabric with a mild detergent in the washing machine, and your design should stay intact. Of course, do not bleach or use stain remover, this is a stain you want to stay. Store any leftover stain in the refrigerator.

What's really great about this process is it gives an antique, old-world kind of look.  I made a clutch with a French inspired design, and it turned out perfect!

I have also made dye/paint with other spices. Curry powder turns things a yellowish brown, and turmeric turns things a bright yellow. I have several others that I would like to try but havent had the time!

If anyone can think of a way to shorten the name of the process, I'm open to suggestions.  It's not really a paint, because you rinse it out; and it's not really a dye, because it's thick enough to paint on.  And, once again, I would LOVE to see what you crafties do with this process!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007 09:42:02 AM by craftyhandbags - Reason: moved post » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

I have an etsy!!!  http://craftybagsetc.etsy.com
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007 08:40:26 AM »

We have a dyeing board under "other fiber arts" if youd like to move your post! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
craftyhandbags
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007 09:37:33 AM »

Thanks!  I thought I looked through all the topics, but I guess I missed that one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

gannon
Those who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person doing it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007 11:00:22 AM »

Thanks! I love color-on-color stenciling and this tutorial is so user-friendly, I'm going to try it out tonight after my guests leave.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can read this, thank a teacher! 

Visit my blog :  http://clayplaycafe.blogspot.com
craftyhandbags
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007 11:11:02 AM »

You're welcome, and thanks!  I had my Hubby read it first, because if he could understand the crafty explanations- any one could!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahbird
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007 05:45:55 PM »

Nice tutorial!  And that fabric you dyed turned out gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog - random crafty musings:
sarahbird.wordpress.com
the etsy - handspun yarn and more:
sarahbirdspins.etsy.com
craftyhandbags
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007 06:44:24 PM »

Nice tutorial!  And that fabric you dyed turned out gorgeous!
Thanks, that one took quite a while because it is very detailed.  I have a few more patterns that aren't as detailed lined up.  It's pretty, but I learned my lesson!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007 06:08:23 AM »

EEEE!!!  I've been trying to figure out how to do something like this for about a year now (well, I've been thinking about trying to figure it out... Smiley )

The consistency of the paste reminds me of mendhi (henna), which is what had inspired me to try to figure this out.  I really like the look and will probably be spending my evening reducing coffee!! 

Thanks for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
craftyhandbags
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007 12:39:20 PM »

EEEE!!!  I've been trying to figure out how to do something like this for about a year now (well, I've been thinking about trying to figure it out... Smiley )

The consistency of the paste reminds me of mendhi (henna), which is what had inspired me to try to figure this out.  I really like the look and will probably be spending my evening reducing coffee!! 

Thanks for the tutorial.
Yeah, I thought of mendhi too when I was making this.  I really wanted something similar, and I almost bought a kit to dye my bag with, but I already had coffee (and I'm cheap!)
I'm really excited to see what other people do with this.  I can't wait to see pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007 02:50:01 PM »

I saw this while having breakfast (and COFFEE!!!) this morning before work.  I've been thinking about it ALL DAY.  I'm planning to reduce some coffee this evening.  Can't wait to try it! 

I'm already envisioning doing mendhi designs on fabric to see if I can. 

I don't think I mentioned this before, but i LOVE the fabric/clutch you made!  The almost-tone-on-tone is so subtle but beautiful. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Rock A Rope Braid Hairstyle
The Secret to a Perfect Topknot
Anti-Aging Hair Products to Start Using Now
Set the (Two-)Tone: Ombré Inspiration to Take to the Salon
Braided Headband Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...