A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,876
Currently Running With Scissors:
848 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hat Hair! (Literally!) now with tutorial  (Read 13116 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tenille
« on: August 08, 2007 07:28:12 AM »

OK, so I've been toying with this idea, at first it was a joke and then I got bored last night and couldn't sleep. Did I sew the dress that's been waiting on my sewing table for 3 weeks? No, of course not. I made hat hair. No more bad hair days for me this winter. I'll just wear my hair. lol. OK, even I think I'm a little goofy for making this, but I like it anyway and I'm thinking about crocheting different styles of hair in different colors for me and my friends. There's no pattern for it. I just freehanded it. Shouldn't be to hard to write out if anyone actually wants to make one though. PM me if you do.

Here's the front view

Here's the side view.

And a bad pic of the back. It's almost impossible to take a pic of the back of your own head. I know my arms just don't bend like that. Smiley

Start with a magic circle.

Row 1 Dc 10 times around and join together. (10 stitches)

Row 2 ch 3 and dc in same stitch. Dc 2 times in each remaining stitch around and join (20 stitches)

Row 3   ch 3 and dc in same stitch. *1 Dc in next stitch. 2dc in following stitch* repeat from *to* around. Join.

Row 4   ch 3 and dc in same stitch. *1 Dc in next 2 stitch. 2dc in following stitch* repeat from *to* around. Join.

Row 5 ch 3 and dc in same stitch. *1 Dc in each of the next 3 stitches. 2dc in following stitch* repeat from *to* around. Join.

Row 6 ch 3 and dc in same stitch. *1 Dc in each of the next 4 stitches. 2dc in following stitch* repeat from *to* around. Join.
(at this point keep increasing the number of single dc stitches by one every row until its wide enough to fit your head. In my case  it took 2 more rows because I have a giant head  Smiley It may take less for you if your head is smaller. Think of it as if you're starting the top part of a circular beanie. You increase in the same way until you would normally start doing one in each stitch all the way around.   )
Row 7 ch 3 and dc in same stitch. *1 Dc in each of the next 5 stitches. 2dc in following stitch* repeat from *to* around. Join.

Row 8 ch 3 and dc in same stitch. *1 Dc in each of the next 6 stitches. 2dc in following stitch* repeat from *to* around. Join.

Row 9 ch 3 and dc in same stitch. *1 Dc in each of the next 7 stitches. 2dc in following stitch* repeat from *to* around. Join.

Row 10 ch 3 and dc in same stitch. *1 Dc in each of the next 8 stitches. 2dc in following stitch* repeat from *to* around. Join.

Row 11  chn 3 (counts as first dc).  Dc in each stitch around. Join.

Row 12  Ok, now what you need to do is figure out how wide you want the bangs to be. [/i]Ch 3. (counts as first dc) I Double crocheted 26 times. You may do more or less depending on how big around your hat is and how wide you want the bangs to be. Sc in the next stitch.. (You may want to mark the last dc )Now you start your shells. Slip stitch in next stitch. * Skip the next stitch and do 5dc in the following stitch. Skip a stitch and slipstitch in the next  2 stitches. *repeat from *to* until you have the number of shells you need for your bangs. I used 4 shells for mine. At the end of your last shell only slip stitch once. Sc in the next stitch and then dc in each of the remaining stitches and join when you reach the very 1st dc you made for the row. (Mark the first dc after your last shell.) Fasten off. (I fastened off here because I wanted to work the rest of the hat as a  single row and I couldnt figure out how to do it with it ending in the middle of the back.)

Ok, now we start the rest of the hair!

Join the same color yarn into one of the dc stitches that you marked. Ch 3. (counts as first dc of row) dc in next stitch and each stitch across ending at the other marked dc. Ch 3 and turn.

Do each row the same. When you get to about the sixth row, do two dc in each of the end stitches and repeat the row before with just one each a few more times. You can do the 2 in each end piece on as many rows as you want. Its kind of up to you. I did it so it would make it gradually angle forward more, but you can do yours straight or decrease so that it rounds off more.  I hope this makes sense.  I think its pretty much an adaptable pattern so you can kind of customize it to you. Let me know if  there are any questions.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007 10:13:24 AM by Tenille » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.blogspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007 07:34:13 AM »

Hee hee- that's cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
caz_mc
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007 07:40:04 AM »

I'd like to wear something like that for laughs, but am not brave enough, let us know if your friends co-operate Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MyFerretLovesMe

Evolution is so creative.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007 07:45:53 AM »

Haha that's adorable! Looks great on you  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sirensrising
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007 07:48:27 AM »

Haha! It reminds me a little of Meloncat  (which is always a good thing) Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
Tenille
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007 07:49:18 AM »

Haha! It reminds me a little of Meloncat  (which is always a good thing) Grin

HAH! meloncat is too cute and funny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
hello color!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007 07:53:56 AM »

It's not meloncat, it's limecat!
Actually it reminds me of this: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATThallowig.html
I want it, but I don't knit or crochet. I used to crochet, but knitting, NOO!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tenille
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007 07:56:53 AM »

Actually it reminds me of this: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATThallowig.html
I want it, but I don't knit or crochet. I used to crochet, but knitting, NOO!

I'm glad you posted that link! I was looking for it yesterday for hours and couldn't find it. I don't really knit much (enough but not much) but I have a friend that does and I think I could get her to make it for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sirensrising
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007 08:00:39 AM »

Oh no...
Limecat is not pleased Sad
What have I wrought?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
craftyhandbags
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007 08:21:35 AM »

I love how you made the front part wavy, it really looks like bangs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

I have an etsy!!!  http://craftybagsetc.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Jeans We Are Wearing This Season
Designer Makes Clothes from Fermented Tea
Milan Shoe of the Day: Fendi
Style Guide: Black On Black
Styling Ideas for Winter Boots and Coats
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...