A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 303,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knit Makeup Pouches  (Read 1397 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2007 10:10:49 PM »

I needed a makeup pouch to tote necessary girlie stuff to and from work and was tired of ugly plastic freebies.  And when I found this pattern (for free!) on Vicky Howell's webpage, I knit it up.  And lined it (first ever lining experience!) with cotton from an old t-shirt. By hand.  It.  Took.  Forever. 

Pattern is here:  http://vickiehowell.blogspot.com/2007/06/rosie-posie-zippy-bag-free-pattern-of.html

The flower is crocheted and stitched on.  Knit in sugar and cream cotton.

Outside shot:

Inside shot of lining (woo!):

I knit this other purple pouch first before the pink/yellow one, using a pattern from Christmas Knits, or something like that...The one they had in the book was pink/red/white, and the pattern called for a knitted lining as well.  I knit the lining and scrapped it because I felt it made the bag too heavy/bulky.  The pattern also called for a cute flap but I scrapped that for the same reason as the lining.  I didn't line it as it was my first go at something that needed lining.  So I avoided it.  Problem solved.  hehe

And yes I know that there are little ends poking out...This poor bag has been used and abused...so I'll fix that.  Sooner or later... Cheesy

Overall, I really like these.  Washable and durable (and colourful!) they're just great!  At least I think so   Cheesy  I recommend the patterns!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007 10:47:24 AM by Legerdemain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Ravelry ID: Legerdemain

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007 04:04:31 AM »

Great job and congrats on your first lining.  They look nice.

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007 08:34:41 AM »

I LOVE the purple one. So cute.

If all our life is but a dream, fantastic posing greed
Then we should feed our jewelry to the sea
For diamonds do appear to be
Just like broken glass to me.

The northern downpour sends its love.
i have freckles

there is no awesome without me.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007 10:25:09 AM »

thats really nice. i have a question though, you did the lining sewings by hand correct?? is there ways of doing it with a sewing machine, or is that a silly thing to ask. i didnt know if sewing machines would work on knits.

i am finally on ravelry!-----http://www.ravelry.com/people/fenifer

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007 10:45:01 AM »

I think you could sew up the pouch itself on a machine but it would be easier to stitch the pouch in by hand?  I could be wrong though.  It also depends on what your knitting with--ie whether or not it is going to be difficult to sew it in neatly with a machine w/o the thread showing.

I'm pretty sure that there is a tutorial on here about how to sew in linings to knit stuff but I can't find it right now.  I did find a zipper tutorial though!  http://creativelittledaisy.typepad.com/creative_little_daisy/2007/02/dont_fear_the_z.html

Don't know if that helps you any.

My Swap Shop14!

ravens tail
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007 02:37:45 PM »

WOW!!! Those are really great! Love the purple one looks like it took a lot of time? Was it hard to put the zippers on? Again nice job!

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007 02:42:08 PM »

The purple one took a bit to get used to b/c you have to knit with two colours per row...so there's stranding (or carrying?  I don't know what you call it) along the wrong side.  But it comes along quickly after you get used to that bit.  I liked the pattern so much that I actually made two of these--another one in pinks and black for my sister. 

Sewing in the zipper in the black/purple one wasn't difficult at all because there was no lining.  Figuring out how to attach the lining/zipper/pouch in the pink/yellow one was a lot more tricky.

My Swap Shop14!

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007 03:13:22 PM »

Those are really cute.

I have used a machine to sew lining and zippers to pouches before and it was super easy. Personally I like to have the knitted side up (since the knit side will be viewable and needs to be neater.. I'm not terribly good at sewing), but others have suggested knitted side down is easy as well. The purses section of Craftster has a ton of tutorials on zippers and lining.

My blog: CraftyCathy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best of the SAG Awards Red Carpet
#TheLIST: The SAG Awards 10 Best Dressed
8 Celeb Duos with Identical Taste
100 Best Little Black Dresses of 2014
Behind the Scenes: High-Flying Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...