A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,064
Currently Running With Scissors:
782 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: College/Cheap, fast, but not horribly unhealthy ---for Vegetarians!!!  (Read 10675 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starblossom
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007 02:10:30 PM »

by sushi rolling mat do you mean flat sheets of seaweed? I've been wanting to make veg sushi for ages but it seems seaweed is kind of pricy. maybe that's just where I live or I'm not shopping at the right spots...I once had avocado sushi and it was soo yummy.

Oh also, chili is a good meal to make. I can get all the ingredients for about 5 bucks and it makes enough to last nearly as week if I add bread and broccoli on the side of it to stretch it out longer. Its just beans, canned tomatoes and spices. I'm sure there's tons of recipes on the net.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do. (Oasis)
http://neatstuffs.wordpress.com
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007 03:55:42 PM »

No, i meant the mats of bamboo you use to roll the sushi up.  Nori (seaweed) is pretty expensive, but you can make sushi without it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
lost.amber
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007 03:22:58 PM »

i'm not a vegetarian but sometimes when it's really hot outside i don't like to bring meat to work because it's such a long drive and sometimes i have a few stops to make.  so here is an easy thing i brought:

1 package of boil in a bag rice
1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
1 small can of rotel diced tomatos and chilis
a little bit of olive oil
a little bit of cider vinegar

i spit the cooked rice into 2 servings.  i use the glad wear that has the one big side and the one little side.  rice goes in the big side.  i drizzled a little bit of olive oil and vingar on it.  the black beans go in the little side topped with the rotel.  it also gets some olive oil and vinegar.  it was tasty, easy and cheap.  kept me fed 2 nights at dinner
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starblossom
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007 07:42:20 PM »

No, i meant the mats of bamboo you use to roll the sushi up.  Nori (seaweed) is pretty expensive, but you can make sushi without it.
Oh okay...I guess I don't know much about making sushi! Glad to hear Nori is not required. I always thought it was. So tasty though Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do. (Oasis)
http://neatstuffs.wordpress.com
dbh2ppa
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007 10:41:06 PM »

Veggie sushi is delicious... and all the ingredients are cheap!  Cook your rice, let it sit for a little while so it gets "sticky", then make it into a sort of flat rectangular mass on top of a sushi-rolling mat (or just be cheap like me and use one of those silicone baking sheets).  Then top it with shredded cucumber, carrots, avocado, or whatever else you like, and roll it up!

I'm sorry to disturb... and I'm not saying that your idea isn't delicious, cause it is... but technically, that is not sushi. And I don't mean that because of the fish, fish has absolutely nothing to do with sushi... but sushi is the japanese term for the rice, mixed with the rice-vinegar, sugar and salt.
You can get cheap rice vinegar (At least here in Costa Rica you can), and the taste of the rice with the vinegar, sugar and salt is so good Tongue...
What you do is you take about 1/2 cup of the vinegar, add about 1 1/2 tbs of sugar, a couple of pinches of salt*, bring it to a boil (Please open your windows for this, or you'll asfixiate), let it cool down, pour it over the hot rice, "cut" it into the rice (Stirring it will break down the rice and it won't stich very well then, so just, with a wooden spoon, kind of cut into it a couple times). Let the heat of the rice evaporate the excess, and then do whatever you want with it. You can roll it with other stuff, you can make sushi-onigiri (rice ball) and fill them up with some kind of veggies, you can top the rice with veggies, press it into a block and cut it in little piecese, or just about anything you can dream of, use your imagination! I once made these little fried sushi-onigiri, they were awesome, and the smell of the toasted rice was to die for ^^
*Sugar and salt quantities are really adjustable to your taste, that's just the way I do it. You can also modify how much of this mix you add to the rice.

Again, I'm not saying Jillie's idea isn't awesome, I'm just trying to avoid any confusion with the terms ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Made a cross from knitting needles,
made a grave from hoover bags
specially for the woman in the wall"
(The beautiful south - The woman in the wall)
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007 10:46:40 PM »

I do the stuff with the rice vinegar/salt/sugar... I was just including that in the "cooking" part since I mix that stuff in even when I'm making the rice plain.  Sorry about the confusin.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
nannafied

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007 02:56:18 AM »

I just has an even lazier, quicker (ie, microwaved) version of Nigella's chickpeas with cumin and sherry. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/chickpeaswithcuminan_86962.shtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batty
weird kid

If no one was crafty life would be boring.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007 05:36:12 PM »

if you're a dairy-eater (or i'm sure they make vegan style "cheese")

melt cheese (any type) on rice or noodles for cheap macaroni and cheese. you can always mix things into this. my dad did this alot aparently when he was a poor college student. he likes peas on it too, but other veggies are good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

replies are so encouraged.... it's scary.
deviantart
wists
blog (it's new so there's not much at all on it)
olive_juice
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007 01:05:23 PM »

One of my favorite things to make (coming from a poor college kid) are hand pies.
I use either pizza dough or pie crust, make a yummy filling with cream cheese, sauteed mushrooms, and reduced spinach and add whatever else i feel like (parmesan, oregano, italian seasoning, green onions, etc. etc.) then cut the dough in to squares or circles, whether i'm feeling more like a pie or a hot pocket, fold over and seal 'em then bake til the dough's done. I make up a whole bunch at once and keep them in the freezer for later. Not that they last long-the boyfriend usually gobbles them up within a few days.
I also make pizza-y ones with mushrooms, onions, cheese, pizza sauce....yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
hyerac
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007 02:25:55 PM »

One of my favorite things to make (coming from a poor college kid) are hand pies.
I use either pizza dough or pie crust, make a yummy filling with cream cheese, sauteed mushrooms, and reduced spinach and add whatever else i feel like (parmesan, oregano, italian seasoning, green onions, etc. etc.) then cut the dough in to squares or circles, whether i'm feeling more like a pie or a hot pocket, fold over and seal 'em then bake til the dough's done. I make up a whole bunch at once and keep them in the freezer for later. Not that they last long-the boyfriend usually gobbles them up within a few days.
I also make pizza-y ones with mushrooms, onions, cheese, pizza sauce....yum!

Ooh... these sound really good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Frizz Smoothing for Straight Hair
Basic Tips for Ponytails
Hair Extensions For Bangs
How to Trim Your Bangs
Japanese Inspired Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...