A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: College/Cheap, fast, but not horribly unhealthy ---for Vegetarians!!!  (Read 10463 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pixiewhip

violently cute

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2007 09:45:34 PM »

I know there is a huge thread on the regular cooking board, but I thought I'd see if people wanted to start a similar thread here, so that they didn't have to wade through pages of ideas for rotisserie chicken. 

My first contribution would be the "I'm sick of pasta,  but I'm still broke, and I have all this pasta sauce" alternative to pasta.   Boil polenta (Cheap as dirt when  bought bulk)   
Put it on a big plate, pour some pasta sauce over it and add some grated cheese or parmesan (you can also add parm to the polenta at the last stages of boiling it)  then nuke it or put it in the oven till the cheese is melted.  15 minutes and without the cheese costs under a dollar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LEGO
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007 11:58:20 PM »

CHEESE?!! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Firefairy
Eclectic Savant

What do you mean, "it isn't supposed to explode"?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007 01:57:26 AM »

You can get great almond/rice/soy/other protein cheese as well if you aren't the lacto-ovo type. Smiley

Another for pasta sauce- Triscuit Pizza- sauce, cheese or appropriate substitute, and the cracker of your choice.  Make sure to coat crackers evenly and nuke for about two to three minutes.  Much yummier than you would think from the pic on the box.

Also, lentils and couscous are your friend, as is stir-fried tofu. Smiley

Oh, also, you can make miso soup for very cheap- get the broth powder, Dashi, from a Japanese food store, and you can get the rest of the ingredients from most health food stores.  In mine, I use wakame (a specific kind of seafood), kikkoman soy sauce, green onions, very firm tofu, white miso, and non-MSG dashi.  Dump it all into a bowl and nuke until it has been boiling a minute or two.  Highly yummy.  Dashi comes in fish and seaweed varieties, so make sure you get the kind you want, and check for MSG, a lot of them have it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007 02:04:09 AM by Firefairy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but sticks and string excite me.

Got Wist?
I'm on Ravelry, and now, so are my stash and WIPs.  Makin' progress!
pixiewhip

violently cute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007 10:14:03 AM »

[quote author=Firefairy link=topic=188474.msg1977631#msg1977631 date=1186563446

Oh, also, you can make miso soup for very cheap- get the broth powder, Dashi, from a Japanese food store, and you can get the rest of the ingredients from most health food stores.  In mine, I use wakame (a specific kind of seafood), kikkoman soy sauce, green onions, very firm tofu, white miso, and non-MSG dashi.  Dump it all into a bowl and nuke until it has been boiling a minute or two.  Highly yummy.  Dashi comes in fish and seaweed varieties, so make sure you get the kind you want, and check for MSG, a lot of them have it.
[/quote]

Just thought I would let people know that fish often hides in miso under the name "bonito"
Also good to know is that you should never boil miso.   Fresh miso has a lot of enzymes as well as probiotics, but if it is brought to a boil these are killed.   Make the miso soup, scoop a cup out, dissolve miso in this and then add the miso at the last second making sure not to boil it.

I eat miso soup probably once a wee,  just miso paste and noodles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hyerac
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007 10:22:53 AM »

Just thought I would let people know that fish often hides in miso under the name "bonito"

Yeah, I only discovered that recently... O_o

Anyone know how long miso paste lasts in the frig?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Firefairy
Eclectic Savant

What do you mean, "it isn't supposed to explode"?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007 12:48:42 PM »

Miso itself is fermented soybeans, and to my knowledge never has animal products (they would rot).  However, many of the kinds of broth used in Japanese soups are fish-based.  According to the gentleman at my Japanese food store, three of the four most common kinds of dashi are fish- avoid anything labeled Bonito (as mentioned), Katsuo, or Niboshi.  Kombu is the most common kind of seaweed dashi you will find in stores.  There is also Shiitake dashi, but I haven't seen it around.

Anyone know how long miso paste lasts in the frig?
If it's in a jar, miso keeps indefinitely.  It's kind of like a cross between pickles and yogurt- it will get stronger-tasting if you keep it a really long time, but as far as I know, live miso never really goes bad.  I once had one jar, open, for over a year with no noticeable change in condition.  If it is in some sort of packet (I have seen some that comes in packs similar to tofu), you might have a hard time keeping it from drying out, though.

Oh, and I make my miso soup about half again to twice as strong as the instructions on the dashi packets say- about 2 cups of water and a tablespoon of miso per serving, and enough shoyu to turn it distinctly brown makes for a good meal-hearty miso soup, while the instructions give you something more suitable for being eaten with other food.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007 12:51:42 PM by Firefairy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but sticks and string excite me.

Got Wist?
I'm on Ravelry, and now, so are my stash and WIPs.  Makin' progress!
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007 06:02:36 PM »

I'm not a vegetarian, but I enjoy vegetarian food, especially Indian.  I posted a recipe for dhal (lentil curry) a while back; it requires a bit of veggie chopping but it's pretty easy to make.

A good side dish or snack (unless you're vegan) is raita.  Mix up some yogurt with a bit of cumin, stir in some sliced cucumber... yum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starblossom
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007 01:46:38 PM »

Lately I've been living on lentil curries with naan bread. They are ridiculously easy, both recipes I have consist of ginger, garlic, a bunch of spices, sometimes curry paste and lentils, maybe split peas and veggie broth. and onions. I'm not sure of the exact cost but I spend an average of $35Ca/week on groceries, which include fruits and veggies and such also. I get my lentils from bulk barn and I found a cheap grocery store that has a package of 6 naan breads for only $2.50 or so. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do. (Oasis)
http://neatstuffs.wordpress.com
dollbecky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

ADHD crafter, jack of all trades..master of none

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007 07:41:27 PM »

Black Beans on rice with fresh raw tomatoes on the side.
this is my daughter's fav meal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007 07:48:29 PM »

Veggie sushi is delicious... and all the ingredients are cheap!  Cook your rice, let it sit for a little while so it gets "sticky", then make it into a sort of flat rectangular mass on top of a sushi-rolling mat (or just be cheap like me and use one of those silicone baking sheets).  Then top it with shredded cucumber, carrots, avocado, or whatever else you like, and roll it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tough Enough Book Trailer
What Will You Do in Your First Ballet Class
Deirdre Imus Talks About The Essential Green You
Christopher Rice Talks About the Moonlit Earth
Pete Cerqua Talks About the 90-Second Fitness Solution
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...