A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: College/Cheap, fast, but not horribly unhealthy ---for Vegetarians!!!  (Read 10956 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pixiewhip

violently cute

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2007 09:45:34 PM »

I know there is a huge thread on the regular cooking board, but I thought I'd see if people wanted to start a similar thread here, so that they didn't have to wade through pages of ideas for rotisserie chicken. 

My first contribution would be the "I'm sick of pasta,  but I'm still broke, and I have all this pasta sauce" alternative to pasta.   Boil polenta (Cheap as dirt when  bought bulk)   
Put it on a big plate, pour some pasta sauce over it and add some grated cheese or parmesan (you can also add parm to the polenta at the last stages of boiling it)  then nuke it or put it in the oven till the cheese is melted.  15 minutes and without the cheese costs under a dollar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LEGO
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007 11:58:20 PM »

CHEESE?!! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Firefairy
Eclectic Savant

What do you mean, "it isn't supposed to explode"?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007 01:57:26 AM »

You can get great almond/rice/soy/other protein cheese as well if you aren't the lacto-ovo type. Smiley

Another for pasta sauce- Triscuit Pizza- sauce, cheese or appropriate substitute, and the cracker of your choice.  Make sure to coat crackers evenly and nuke for about two to three minutes.  Much yummier than you would think from the pic on the box.

Also, lentils and couscous are your friend, as is stir-fried tofu. Smiley

Oh, also, you can make miso soup for very cheap- get the broth powder, Dashi, from a Japanese food store, and you can get the rest of the ingredients from most health food stores.  In mine, I use wakame (a specific kind of seafood), kikkoman soy sauce, green onions, very firm tofu, white miso, and non-MSG dashi.  Dump it all into a bowl and nuke until it has been boiling a minute or two.  Highly yummy.  Dashi comes in fish and seaweed varieties, so make sure you get the kind you want, and check for MSG, a lot of them have it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007 02:04:09 AM by Firefairy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but sticks and string excite me.

Got Wist?
I'm on Ravelry, and now, so are my stash and WIPs.  Makin' progress!
pixiewhip

violently cute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007 10:14:03 AM »

[quote author=Firefairy link=topic=188474.msg1977631#msg1977631 date=1186563446

Oh, also, you can make miso soup for very cheap- get the broth powder, Dashi, from a Japanese food store, and you can get the rest of the ingredients from most health food stores.  In mine, I use wakame (a specific kind of seafood), kikkoman soy sauce, green onions, very firm tofu, white miso, and non-MSG dashi.  Dump it all into a bowl and nuke until it has been boiling a minute or two.  Highly yummy.  Dashi comes in fish and seaweed varieties, so make sure you get the kind you want, and check for MSG, a lot of them have it.
[/quote]

Just thought I would let people know that fish often hides in miso under the name "bonito"
Also good to know is that you should never boil miso.   Fresh miso has a lot of enzymes as well as probiotics, but if it is brought to a boil these are killed.   Make the miso soup, scoop a cup out, dissolve miso in this and then add the miso at the last second making sure not to boil it.

I eat miso soup probably once a wee,  just miso paste and noodles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hyerac
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007 10:22:53 AM »

Just thought I would let people know that fish often hides in miso under the name "bonito"

Yeah, I only discovered that recently... O_o

Anyone know how long miso paste lasts in the frig?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Firefairy
Eclectic Savant

What do you mean, "it isn't supposed to explode"?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007 12:48:42 PM »

Miso itself is fermented soybeans, and to my knowledge never has animal products (they would rot).  However, many of the kinds of broth used in Japanese soups are fish-based.  According to the gentleman at my Japanese food store, three of the four most common kinds of dashi are fish- avoid anything labeled Bonito (as mentioned), Katsuo, or Niboshi.  Kombu is the most common kind of seaweed dashi you will find in stores.  There is also Shiitake dashi, but I haven't seen it around.

Anyone know how long miso paste lasts in the frig?
If it's in a jar, miso keeps indefinitely.  It's kind of like a cross between pickles and yogurt- it will get stronger-tasting if you keep it a really long time, but as far as I know, live miso never really goes bad.  I once had one jar, open, for over a year with no noticeable change in condition.  If it is in some sort of packet (I have seen some that comes in packs similar to tofu), you might have a hard time keeping it from drying out, though.

Oh, and I make my miso soup about half again to twice as strong as the instructions on the dashi packets say- about 2 cups of water and a tablespoon of miso per serving, and enough shoyu to turn it distinctly brown makes for a good meal-hearty miso soup, while the instructions give you something more suitable for being eaten with other food.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007 12:51:42 PM by Firefairy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but sticks and string excite me.

Got Wist?
I'm on Ravelry, and now, so are my stash and WIPs.  Makin' progress!
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007 06:02:36 PM »

I'm not a vegetarian, but I enjoy vegetarian food, especially Indian.  I posted a recipe for dhal (lentil curry) a while back; it requires a bit of veggie chopping but it's pretty easy to make.

A good side dish or snack (unless you're vegan) is raita.  Mix up some yogurt with a bit of cumin, stir in some sliced cucumber... yum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starblossom
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007 01:46:38 PM »

Lately I've been living on lentil curries with naan bread. They are ridiculously easy, both recipes I have consist of ginger, garlic, a bunch of spices, sometimes curry paste and lentils, maybe split peas and veggie broth. and onions. I'm not sure of the exact cost but I spend an average of $35Ca/week on groceries, which include fruits and veggies and such also. I get my lentils from bulk barn and I found a cheap grocery store that has a package of 6 naan breads for only $2.50 or so. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do. (Oasis)
http://neatstuffs.wordpress.com
dollbecky
ADHD crafter, jack of all trades..master of none

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007 07:41:27 PM »

Black Beans on rice with fresh raw tomatoes on the side.
this is my daughter's fav meal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007 07:48:29 PM »

Veggie sushi is delicious... and all the ingredients are cheap!  Cook your rice, let it sit for a little while so it gets "sticky", then make it into a sort of flat rectangular mass on top of a sushi-rolling mat (or just be cheap like me and use one of those silicone baking sheets).  Then top it with shredded cucumber, carrots, avocado, or whatever else you like, and roll it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
starblossom
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007 02:10:30 PM »

by sushi rolling mat do you mean flat sheets of seaweed? I've been wanting to make veg sushi for ages but it seems seaweed is kind of pricy. maybe that's just where I live or I'm not shopping at the right spots...I once had avocado sushi and it was soo yummy.

Oh also, chili is a good meal to make. I can get all the ingredients for about 5 bucks and it makes enough to last nearly as week if I add bread and broccoli on the side of it to stretch it out longer. Its just beans, canned tomatoes and spices. I'm sure there's tons of recipes on the net.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007 03:55:42 PM »

No, i meant the mats of bamboo you use to roll the sushi up.  Nori (seaweed) is pretty expensive, but you can make sushi without it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lost.amber
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007 03:22:58 PM »

i'm not a vegetarian but sometimes when it's really hot outside i don't like to bring meat to work because it's such a long drive and sometimes i have a few stops to make.  so here is an easy thing i brought:

1 package of boil in a bag rice
1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
1 small can of rotel diced tomatos and chilis
a little bit of olive oil
a little bit of cider vinegar

i spit the cooked rice into 2 servings.  i use the glad wear that has the one big side and the one little side.  rice goes in the big side.  i drizzled a little bit of olive oil and vingar on it.  the black beans go in the little side topped with the rotel.  it also gets some olive oil and vinegar.  it was tasty, easy and cheap.  kept me fed 2 nights at dinner
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starblossom
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007 07:42:20 PM »

No, i meant the mats of bamboo you use to roll the sushi up.  Nori (seaweed) is pretty expensive, but you can make sushi without it.
Oh okay...I guess I don't know much about making sushi! Glad to hear Nori is not required. I always thought it was. So tasty though Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dbh2ppa
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007 10:41:06 PM »

Veggie sushi is delicious... and all the ingredients are cheap!  Cook your rice, let it sit for a little while so it gets "sticky", then make it into a sort of flat rectangular mass on top of a sushi-rolling mat (or just be cheap like me and use one of those silicone baking sheets).  Then top it with shredded cucumber, carrots, avocado, or whatever else you like, and roll it up!

I'm sorry to disturb... and I'm not saying that your idea isn't delicious, cause it is... but technically, that is not sushi. And I don't mean that because of the fish, fish has absolutely nothing to do with sushi... but sushi is the japanese term for the rice, mixed with the rice-vinegar, sugar and salt.
You can get cheap rice vinegar (At least here in Costa Rica you can), and the taste of the rice with the vinegar, sugar and salt is so good Tongue...
What you do is you take about 1/2 cup of the vinegar, add about 1 1/2 tbs of sugar, a couple of pinches of salt*, bring it to a boil (Please open your windows for this, or you'll asfixiate), let it cool down, pour it over the hot rice, "cut" it into the rice (Stirring it will break down the rice and it won't stich very well then, so just, with a wooden spoon, kind of cut into it a couple times). Let the heat of the rice evaporate the excess, and then do whatever you want with it. You can roll it with other stuff, you can make sushi-onigiri (rice ball) and fill them up with some kind of veggies, you can top the rice with veggies, press it into a block and cut it in little piecese, or just about anything you can dream of, use your imagination! I once made these little fried sushi-onigiri, they were awesome, and the smell of the toasted rice was to die for ^^
*Sugar and salt quantities are really adjustable to your taste, that's just the way I do it. You can also modify how much of this mix you add to the rice.

Again, I'm not saying Jillie's idea isn't awesome, I'm just trying to avoid any confusion with the terms ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Made a cross from knitting needles,
made a grave from hoover bags
specially for the woman in the wall"
(The beautiful south - The woman in the wall)
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007 10:46:40 PM »

I do the stuff with the rice vinegar/salt/sugar... I was just including that in the "cooking" part since I mix that stuff in even when I'm making the rice plain.  Sorry about the confusin.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nannafied

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007 02:56:18 AM »

I just has an even lazier, quicker (ie, microwaved) version of Nigella's chickpeas with cumin and sherry. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/chickpeaswithcuminan_86962.shtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batty
weird kid

If no one was crafty life would be boring.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007 05:36:12 PM »

if you're a dairy-eater (or i'm sure they make vegan style "cheese")

melt cheese (any type) on rice or noodles for cheap macaroni and cheese. you can always mix things into this. my dad did this alot aparently when he was a poor college student. he likes peas on it too, but other veggies are good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

replies are so encouraged.... it's scary.
deviantart
wists
blog (it's new so there's not much at all on it)
olive_juice
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007 01:05:23 PM »

One of my favorite things to make (coming from a poor college kid) are hand pies.
I use either pizza dough or pie crust, make a yummy filling with cream cheese, sauteed mushrooms, and reduced spinach and add whatever else i feel like (parmesan, oregano, italian seasoning, green onions, etc. etc.) then cut the dough in to squares or circles, whether i'm feeling more like a pie or a hot pocket, fold over and seal 'em then bake til the dough's done. I make up a whole bunch at once and keep them in the freezer for later. Not that they last long-the boyfriend usually gobbles them up within a few days.
I also make pizza-y ones with mushrooms, onions, cheese, pizza sauce....yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
hyerac
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007 02:25:55 PM »

One of my favorite things to make (coming from a poor college kid) are hand pies.
I use either pizza dough or pie crust, make a yummy filling with cream cheese, sauteed mushrooms, and reduced spinach and add whatever else i feel like (parmesan, oregano, italian seasoning, green onions, etc. etc.) then cut the dough in to squares or circles, whether i'm feeling more like a pie or a hot pocket, fold over and seal 'em then bake til the dough's done. I make up a whole bunch at once and keep them in the freezer for later. Not that they last long-the boyfriend usually gobbles them up within a few days.

Ooh... these sound really good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
circus

BIKES BABIES AND BEER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2007 11:33:06 PM »

the hand pies sound amazing!
My diet often consists of
instant breakfast with instant coffee (breakfast)
pepperjack cheese melted on everything bagels (lunch)
beans and grains (black beans, garbonzo beans, lentils, brown/white rice, couscous, quinoa)- you can actually get  them cooked and canned together, so you can just heat it in the microwave (dinner)

I figure its a bit better than my boyfriend's favorite- cheesy eggy ramen ranch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

olive_juice
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2007 08:13:20 AM »

They are pretty fantastic! I live in the meat pie capital (Natchitoches, LA. Curious? Google Lasyones), so I like to think i'm stickin' it to the man when i make my veggie version. hehe.
;.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
tiramine
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007 06:59:42 AM »

When I'm in a hurry, and low on money, I buy canned chickpeas and jars of indian sauces (like tikka masala or korma). Then I just heat everything in a pan, and serve with rice. Mmmm.

Another thing i recently discovered is how easy and cheap it is to make your own tortillas. I actually learned from Robert Rodriguez, the director. They take a while to finish, but they're sooo good. Cheesy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBgsLmDcL78
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lilyvanilli
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008 10:51:15 PM »

I made some hand pies tonight with mushrooms, red pepper, green onions, yellow onions, garlic, parmesan, feta, oregano, and basil. They were delicious!! Thanks for the great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

olive_juice
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008 09:37:59 AM »

Awesome! no problem, and they freeze great, for the record. Your ingredients sound fantastic; I'll have to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
Ma Rut
A Made-In-The-South Original

Swap Addict, officially.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008 06:17:10 PM »

I figure its a bit better than my boyfriend's favorite- cheesy eggy ramen ranch.

Are we dating the same guy??? Lips sealed That sounds like something my boyfriend would LOVE too. Eww Tongue

When I was a poor college student trying become a halfway vegetarian again, I would make a big pot of mac-n-cheese and add a lot of dried minced garlic. It makes it spicy and less-boring, and something about the fullness of garlic helped combat the yearning for meat, for me at least.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maria isabel
blah blah blah

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008 02:00:40 PM »

These ideas are all so great! Im a veggie lover since childhood but my husband LOVES meat and hates veggies so these ideas will help us since he was put on a diet by a doctor and he cant eat meat or dairy at all!
Thanks guys!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too many ads ruin a mediocre site.
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010 04:45:07 PM »

Fake Cajun/Dirty Rice:

sausage style veggie crumbles
spanish rice (I use frozen rice because I am just that lazy)
sriracha sauce

Microwave some crumbles in a bowl
Pour in some rice
(you can also throw in some beans if you want)
add a spritz of olive oil, or not
add some sriracha or other hot sauce
stir it up and eat it

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
sillymomma
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010 02:27:33 PM »

Wow, there are some great ideas here! I love all the posts on sushi! I'm not a vegetarian, but my hubby calls me "borderline". Here are my ideas for you!

Mac & cheese: If you really want something healthier but can't afford anything but mac & cheese, add salsa & sour cream (if you're not opposed to dairy), or add frozen mixed veggies and a jar of pureed squash (baby food jar). Seriously, my kids love it & don't even know they're eating yellow veggies!

easy taco soup: A can of each - corn, tomatoes, black beans, red beans, and add onions if you like & a spoonful of crushed garlic if you like. Add a packet of taco seasoning for flavor & voila!

Flour tortillas with mexican rice & beans - make a big batch of homemade salsa! Here's the recipe:
Mexican rice: brown rice, tomato paste, mexican seasonings.
salsa: tomatillos, tomatoes, onion, garlic clove, japanese roasted peppers, cilantro - chop & microwave your tomatilloes, chop everything else & blend it all in a blender.   add salt & lime juice if you have it.

Eating vietnamese is cheap & easy! All you need is rice vermicelli noodles, veggie broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, and whatever oriental style veggies you have on hand. Shred the ginger & lemongrass, crush the garlic & mix it with your broth & soy sauce. Oriental chili sauce for spice if you like. Boil the noodles in the broth, add your veggies & cook until tender. Then at the last, add bean sprouts & cilantro raw mixed into your soup. Some examples of good veggies could be snap peas, mushrooms, shredded carrot, bok choy, spinach leaves)  

All these same ingredients could be adapted to a vietnamese noodle salad (drain the noodles, finely shred the veggies raw, include the cilantro and bean sprouts & add peanut sauce on top for a dressing), a spring roll (wrap the drained noodles and shredded veggies all up in a rice-paper spring roll wrapper & Dip in peanut sauce - don't forget your cilantro & bean sprouts!) or a veggie fried rice dish (instead of noodles use rice & fry it up - lots of ginger and lemongrass in this one, but no cilantro or bean sprouts!)

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010 02:33:19 PM by sillymomma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps? I would love beautiful/useful polymer clay items, fashion accessories, anything oriental or oceanic, or jewelry? PM me if I can make something for you! Custom glass etchings, beaded jewelry, collage artwork, winter hat/scarfs, write-on calendars, custom name boards, cookies-in-a-jar
mandystein
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010 08:21:33 AM »

When I'm in a hurry, and low on money, I buy canned chickpeas and jars of indian sauces (like tikka masala or korma). Then I just heat everything in a pan, and serve with rice. Mmmm.

Another thing i recently discovered is how easy and cheap it is to make your own tortillas. I actually learned from Robert Rodriguez, the director. They take a while to finish, but they're sooo good. Cheesy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBgsLmDcL78

I've done something similar with curry paste!  I mixed up a curry paste and added a bit of heavy cream (easily omitted, but it did give a very rich flavor, of course), a can of chickpeas, some cubed tofu, and served over brown rice.  And because I eat it on everything, I added parmesan cheese.  Definitely not traditional Indian, but I loved it and the leftovers were great, too.  But this is easily made vegan/less fattening -- the cream and cheese are absolutely not necessary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stevethegirl
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010 07:02:47 PM »

Bookmarked!  Lovin' this thread.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010 10:11:24 PM »

Okay, just posted the link in another thread but it just doesn't get any easier than this (recipe actually comes from a cookbook written by the cook at the daycare I attended):

Egg in a Tomato
  • 1 tomato
  • 1/2 teaspoon butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon cheddar cheese, grated

- Cut off a thick slice at the stem end of a medium-size tomato; set aside.
- Scoop out seeds and centre pulp.
- Place tomato in a small bowl.
- Add butter inside the tomato.
- Break an egg inside the tomato.
- Pierce yolk with a toothpick or fork (very important).
- Sprinkle cheese over the egg.
- Place top slice over tomato.
- Microwave on medium-high (70%) for 1minute 45 seconds, or until egg is almost cooked.
- Let stand 1 minute.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010 07:47:46 AM by Burgz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2010 07:11:17 AM »

Hmmm....that sounds like an awesome easy breakfast for the chronically late for work *cough* notthatIam chronicallylate *cough*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
kitty con carne

MEAT & HEAT... and cats.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011 11:19:47 PM »

My ultimate five-minute meal is couscous with whatever vegetables I have on hand and seasoned to fit my mood.

1/4 cup couscous
1/2 cup water
chopped veggies - daikon radish, shredded cabbage, minced carrot, minced bell pepper, chopped kale, broccoli florets, whatever! As long as you can eat it raw - no potatoes or rhubarb. Chrunchiness adds nice texture.
Butter/Olive Oil to taste

FLAVORINGS:
Soy Sauce and FAT (butter or olive oil)
Red Pasta Sauce
Canned Soup (1/2 can)
Salsa and Cheddar
Anything your heart desires!

1. Boil water.
2. Add CousCous and Veggies.
3. Cover and simmer for five minutes, or until water is soaked up.
4. Add FLAVOR!

My absolute favorite is radish/soysauce/olive oil. Seriously, it's great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011 06:35:26 PM »

I have an egg in a tomato in the microwave as I type...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011 09:05:48 PM »

I want an egg in a tomato now.
me, I like left over spanish rice rolled up in a tortilla. Maybe I'll line it with a lettuce leaf, maybe add a splorsh of salsa. I can eat those cold, anytime of day.
And I'll toss in cooked veggies-carrots, cauliflower, what have you-into a batch of mac and cheese to add a token vitamin and make it a bit heartier.
Good old canned tomato soup, add a thinly sliced cooked carrot and or bell pepper (faster to nuke the veggies in the m icrowave first than to try and cook them in the soup) and maybe add some soy and or minced dried onion. Or a little dollop of hot sauce. Or almost anything, really.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
JustNaz9

I hope there's pudding...<3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011 07:07:52 AM »

As a vegetarian college student, this thread is right up my alley!

I am a huuuuge fan of mexican food, so quesadilla supplies are always in my fridge. I put a tortilla on a baking sheet, top with mexican style cheese (or whatever cheese I happen to have laying around), vegetables (black olives, bell pepper strips, chopped tomatoes....again, whatever I have laying around), and some dried cilantro. Top with the other tortilla and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. They're awesome with some salsa for dipping.

I eat veggies and rice at least twice a week. I buy the huge frozen bags of asian style veggies, plus extra edamame or sugar snap peas.

My boyfriend orders wings a lot, so my substitute is fried veggies. I dip mushrooms, bell pepper strips, or zucchini in flour, then egg, then seasoned breadcrumbs, place them on my pizza crisper pan and bake at 400 for about 15 minutes. When they come out I dip them in bbq sauce. Yuuuuummy.

Grilled cheese on rye bread with pepperjack and cheddar is another favorite. Especially with my "special" tomato soup. It's campbells condensed tomato soup with 1/2 can of milk, 1/2 can of water and cumin, cayenne, garlic, and basil. Delish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You cut up a thing that's alive and beautiful to find out how it's alive and why it's beautiful, and before you know it, it's neither of those things, and you're standing there with blood on your face and tears in your sight and only the terrible ache of guilt to show for it."
Clive Barker
astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012 06:08:41 PM »

My quickbread is fast, cheap and probably not that unhealthy.

You'd need:
-  1 1/2 cup flour (I usually use white, but I think whole wheat would be interesting)
-  1 tsp. baking powder
-  1/2 tsp. salt (can use fancy salt, but I'm sticking with good old table salt, because hey, that's what I have)
-  1 1/2 tsp herbs/spices of choice (I used dill in my latest batch...pretty satisfying)
-  1 cup ice cold h20
-  silicone muffin/cupcake pan

Mix dry together, and add cold water to the mixture.  Stir until a loose batter forms, and spoon into a silicone muffin/cupcake pan until halfway full.  Bake at 400 degrees until risen and nicely brown on top.  Makes a crusty topped quickbread with a english muffin like moist inside.  They also freeze nicely as well!  Makes about five large rolls or six smaller ones.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activated!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
Eilish
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012 11:41:49 AM »

My quickbread is fast, cheap and probably not that unhealthy.

You'd need:
-  1 1/2 cup flour (I usually use white, but I think whole wheat would be interesting)
-  1 tsp. baking powder
-  1/2 tsp. salt (can use fancy salt, but I'm sticking with good old table salt, because hey, that's what I have)
-  1 1/2 tsp herbs/spices of choice (I used dill in my latest batch...pretty satisfying)
-  1 cup ice cold h20
-  silicone muffin/cupcake pan

Mix dry together, and add cold water to the mixture.  Stir until a loose batter forms, and spoon into a silicone muffin/cupcake pan until halfway full.  Bake at 400 degrees until risen and nicely brown on top.  Makes a crusty topped quickbread with a english muffin like moist inside.  They also freeze nicely as well!  Makes about five large rolls or six smaller ones.  Cheesy

Made this tonight, very good! Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, nom! (and yes I made an account just to tell you that  Wink)

My student standby's are:
- Tomato kidney bean soup (fry a (red) onion, add a can of chopped tomatoes, a can of kidney beans, a can of water, chilli powder, p/s to taste), very easy, filling and good! If I have a bit more money I add salami or chorizo as well!
- Baked potato with salsa/butter/cheese/coleslaw/whatever I've got lying around - can't go wrong
- Stir fry (I buy cheap frozen stir fry veg (or cut up carrots and mushrooms), eat it with rice or noodles and soysauce and honey)
- Baked beans on toast (cheap as chips + apparently healthy as well)
- Special cheese on toast (I mix the end bits of cheese with a little mayo, mustard, p/s and milk which I spread on bread then whack it under the grill) - this is when I have nothing else lying around, however it's so good I still crave it even when I'm not watching every penny
- Tomato and cucumber salad with bread (I cut up the tomato and cucumber, add whatever herbs I want which is mostly oregano then add olive oil (if I have it) and some sort of vinegar (red wine, apple cider and balsamic all work well and can be found very cheap in Aldi/Lidl/Dollarstore/Poundland)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2012 07:28:10 AM »

Eilish, thanks for the compliments!  Hopefully you'd stick around - I love this site for ideas and sharing crafty ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activated!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bill T. Jones on the Evolving Theater Culture
Michael Yeargan on Creating the American Ring of the Nibelung
Video De Larry Hernandez Gente
Saving the Fading
Startup Profile: Cannon.Fm App Demo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...