A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altar cloth?? Design stumper  (Read 1675 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

allerby

You gave me the best mix tape I have

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2007 08:30:10 PM »

Hey needleworkers Smiley  My priest is looking to add a new altar cloth to our very small collection (it is basically a table runner for an altar).  She asked me to work on it for the Purple season (I don't really know what that means, but she said gold, purple, blue... those all work).  I am using this as an excuse to delve a little into embroidery (don't worry, I'll be honing my skills on lesser projects before tackling the altar cloth).  So, my quest for you all is to help me figure out 2 questions:

1) What material would be good, and how should I assemble?  I have seen a few large pieces of what seems to be a "ready made" embroidery cloth, but I don't think they are large enough, quite.  Can anyone point me in a good direction for that?  I don't really want to tear my fingers up working with it, but it also needs to look nice for an altar

2) Design?  I would obviously like to incorporate some religious symbols and motifs- does anyone know of a good pattern company/website, or book or anything.  I seem to be hitting a wall with the florals, teapots, kitschy, and "country" type items.... not much religious imagery.  (BTW we are Episcopalian- that's Christian)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Check out this awesome craft blog: http://deadladyyarn.wordpress.com/  (And I'm not just saying that because it's my BFF's Wink )
Muria
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007 08:54:51 PM »

I saw a rather large book of "well loved hymns" in cross stitch that had some religious motifs incorporated into the designs at the local Joann's, but if you're not looking for cross stitch (my eye tends to prefer crewel work, but it requires more precision than cross stitch), you may find it easier to find a book of clip art, trace it onto something and embroider around it.  Dover Publications has a clip-art book of Christian Symbols.

Joann's also used to sell evenweave fabric by the yard, so you can possibly get a piece the right size.  If I were you, I'd ask to look at the other altar cloths, to get an idea of what your priest has in mind.  I, personally, would also prefer more direction (and more clarification about what the "Purple Season" is, and what it might possibly symbolize).  If she's thinking about a purple velvet altar cloth with gold braid trim fashioned into crosses at each end, and you produce a white linen evenweave embroidered cloth with purple motifs, you could both come away disappointed. 

As a Baptist, I haven't specifically seen altar cloths up close, and have never heard of a Purple Season for Christianity, so I can't be much help as far as that goes.  Good luck with your project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007 07:22:47 PM »

You might want to check the shared pattern thread. I seem to recall there being some religious patterns there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
verybigjen
http://schmaltzycraftsy.com

Web designer, part time medievalist & mad crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007 03:23:10 PM »

I've studied medieval altar cloths a bit. (medievabeads.com)
silk is typical, but linen would be a good choice as well.

as you are doing an altar cloth you are not making a table cloth. Tablecloths have a design on top, no one will see this on a altar. So you decoration should run largely just on the front vertical fall of the cloth. the tops can and are usually plain. at most you'll do three or four of the edges.

as him to see some of their others, and what he's looking for, would they want a seasonal theme or one for some holy day? if you google for religious supply you will find some commercial ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pincushions & Tutorials | Schmaltzy Craftsy Pincushion Store Blog \ "Talent is always conscious of its own abundance, and does not object to sharing" - Alexander Solzehnitsyn
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007 02:18:31 AM »

I suppose you've already done this, but you could ask to have a look at the older cloths and see what they've done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Immaculata
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007 03:13:50 PM »

My grandma made an altar cloth once. We are catholic, so maybe some patterns are specifically catholic.

I believe she used cotton, but I'm not sure. Just plain white fabric from a fabric store.

She drew on certain christian motives, like a fish and a cross, and also added hymns and prayers in Latin. It's beautiful. My aunt has it now. She just drew these on the fabric and embroidered them, I don't know if she traced existing patterns or not. Probably she did.

The colour .. in the catholic church every event has a colour. In liturgy, the colour purple means acknowledging Jesus as a king, and it's used during the forty day period between Ash Wednesday and Easter. I'm not sure about other churches though.

I tried google to search for images of altar cloths, you can find some beautiful ones but you'll also find a lot of wiccan altar cloths.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allerby

You gave me the best mix tape I have

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007 09:16:18 PM »

My grandma made an altar cloth once. We are catholic, so maybe some patterns are specifically catholic.

I believe she used cotton, but I'm not sure. Just plain white fabric from a fabric store.

She drew on certain christian motives, like a fish and a cross, and also added hymns and prayers in Latin. It's beautiful. My aunt has it now. She just drew these on the fabric and embroidered them, I don't know if she traced existing patterns or not. Probably she did.

The colour .. in the catholic church every event has a colour. In liturgy, the colour purple means acknowledging Jesus as a king, and it's used during the forty day period between Ash Wednesday and Easter. I'm not sure about other churches though.

I tried google to search for images of altar cloths, you can find some beautiful ones but you'll also find a lot of wiccan altar cloths.

Thank you for understanding the purple season... it seems silly, but I can't imagine not having the color-coded liturgy.... just feels right, but then I'm a cradle Episcopalian, which is similar to Catholic in a lot of ways.

I'm really thankful for all your thoughtful comments and suggestions, and really freakin' excited to get started with the embroidery... I've been testing out some designs and my skills, and it should be a doozy of a project, but I think I'm up to it.... 

I like the idea of linen as the base- it is not too tightly woven that it would be an issue to sew, and also always looks classy.  I'm still a little iffy on the "assembly" ie should i just seam the edges, or make it double sided? 

As to the design, googling some images has really helped, and I think this project should shape up nicely, and I have plenty of time before purple rolls around Smiley (We're snug in Green right now)

If anyone happens to come upon some interesting religious imagery that would translate nicely to embroidery, please post it here!

Many thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Check out this awesome craft blog: http://deadladyyarn.wordpress.com/  (And I'm not just saying that because it's my BFF's Wink )
uglyshyla
Ugly Shyla

Ugly Shyla and Ugly Art Dolls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007 12:44:13 AM »

This one has a few simple cross patterns ect
http://crossstitch.about.com/od/christianthemes/Free_Cross_Stitch_Patterns_Christian_Symbols_and_Themes.htm
www.holyneedle.com used to have some really cool stuff but I don't know if they site is still in business.
If you type in Christian Cross Stich on Google sometimes you can find some cool things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on most social media under @uglyshyla
Doll and Art Etsy
http://uglyartdotnet.etsy.com
Website http://www.uglyart.net
My famous Painting Squirrel http://www.facebook.com/winkelthesquirrel
AidanNia
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007 08:50:20 AM »

I got a link off of Crafster a while back (sorry, don't remember who posted it), but it has some eccleiastical patterns that you might find useful: http://www.needlenthread.com/

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007 02:09:48 PM »

My dad is an Anglican minister, I've done some sewing for him & his church.

The thing that is hardest about doing an altar cloth is the scale. What looks great in your hoop will look like a colorful smudge from the last pew unless your church is tiny.

Linen is most affordable considering your average altar cloth takes at least 5 yards of 60" wide fabric. Take lots of measurements and measure the design size of a couple existing cloths your church already has. My dad's fairly small church the altar is 7 feet long with a close to 4 foot drop down the front- the design is roughly 2 1/2 feet by 3 1/2 feet- that's a lot of stitches by hand. I did applique instead of hand sewing and it still took several days. I did a special cloth for babtism & confirmation days.

Two books I have & like very much, both are fairly small, should be under $20 each.
Sewing Church Linens by Elizabeth Joseph, 1991 Morehouse Publishing
Church Needlepoint by Louise A. Raynor and Carolyn H. Kerr, 1976 Morehouse-Barlow Co.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Foolproof Ways to Dress Up for Any Holiday Party
7 Ways to Wear One Party Dress All Season Long
Miss Universe Preliminary Evening Gown Recap
Who Wore The Givenchy Leather Skirt Best: Kim Kardashian or Kanye West?
Who Wore It Best: Jennifer Lawrence or Lara Stone In Red Calvin Klein
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...