A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Favorite Needles/Needle Set  (Read 2437 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tere
« on: December 04, 2004 06:19:57 AM »

Hey  Smiley
I would really like to invest in some nice knitting needles, maybe even a set. Do you guys have any reccomendations? Thanks a lot.
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlings
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004 07:02:28 AM »

It's hard to beat the Denise needle kit for value.  I don't have one myself (yet), but I have a good friend who's a talented knitter and who likes hers very much.

My preferences are:
For most purposes: Addi Turbos (nickel plated brass) for most knitting at sizes up to 6mm

For slippery yarns, or larger needle sizes: bamboo - Clover brand, not Crystal Palace, which are expensive and have a squeaky brass join.

For lace: Inox - for their super-sharp points.

DPNs: at small sizes, bamboo - here the Crystal Palace needles really shine. At sizes above 3mm, Brittany birch. I also tried Pony Pearls recently, and liked them. They're ridiculously inexpensive, and the sizes are colour coded. Good if you tend to lose them. They're not so great if you're a tight knitter, because the core material can snap.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004 07:04:02 AM by starlings » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004 07:31:07 AM »

Wow, thanks Starlings. I'm off to search for needles!  Wink
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deety
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004 09:15:33 AM »

I mostly use the Clover bamboo ones, but I think I may be getting the Denise kit for Christmas. I love how bamboo needles feel, and it seems like their light weight is easier on my carpal tunnel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004 10:42:10 AM »

Definitely try the Denise needles before buying them.  I personally don't like them at all. 

I have lots of straight needles in 3 types:
Casein - my aboslute favorite, but kinda hard to find 9though you can get them at elann.com), and they only go up to 7.5mm.  Slick, but not too slick, and they tend to have nice sharp points (good for lace).  They're sticky when wet, so not good if your hands sweat a lot.  They're also flexible and not cold.  They come in either pearlized colors or tortoiseshell, so they're nice looking.
Bamboo - good for slippery yarns, and you can sometimes find them really cheap
Teflon coated - they're cold, but they're nice and slippery.  These are hand-me-downs from my mom.

In circs, I like addi turbos, but they're really expensive, sometimes you can find off-brand nickel plated circs that are slightly cheaper.  I also have some nice bamboo circs.

For DPNs I like either bamboo or casein - the casein DPNs are pretty long.

Wood is also nice, but I don't really think it's much nicer than bamboo, and it's more expensive.  They are pretty, though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RenaissanceGrrl

the giant pear

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004 11:07:17 AM »

I LOVE my Denise set, but once I tried Addi Turbos I was hooked. I'm a total Addi addict now to the point that I will forego buying more expensive yarn so I can buy a new set of Addis. Guess I'm an Addiaddict.

ETA: wow, that joke sounded way funnier in my head than it did on the screen.....my apologies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004 05:34:45 PM »

Thanks guys,
Right now I have a mix of ugly, wiggly plastic needles, alluminum ones and a set of bamboo I just got tonight for about $2.00. It would be so nice to have a set. I recently tried "livening up" my plastic needles by painting them with enamel paint--bad idea, don't try this  Tongue they got quite sticky.

Do the denise needle sets include mainly circs, or are they comprised of straight needles as well?
Thanks again!
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tandis

Insert witty text here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004 08:30:48 PM »

To the best of my knowledge, since I don't actually own a set, they are entirely a set of interchangable circulars.  They come with different things you can put on the ends to use them like flexible single needles (I think).  I don't think that's a bad thing though since you can use circular needles to knit the same way you would with straight needles.

Here's the link to their site.  You can read about the history there if you are interested.

http://www.knitdenise.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004 06:52:01 AM »

Great, Thanks!
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gertie_T
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004 01:25:56 PM »

I am also OBSESSED with Addi turbos! If you want to invest Tere, I really think there's nothing better.

I have a set of Denise circs that I got as a gift, and I have to say, I'm not in love with them (though admittedly, the problem may be that my affair with my addis might have ruined what I had with Denise) I've really noticed lately that they put a lot of strain on my wrists because the length of the actual needle is so long. Also, with some yarns I find that they snag at the point where the needle connects to the cord.

For straight needles, I love crystal palace bamboo--they're nice and smooth and light weight.

Ok, that's just my two cents! Have fun buying new needles, Tere!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rebecca Taylor on Her Fall 2012 Collection
Taylor Swift and Gwyneth Paltrow on the Grammys Red Carpet
Learn How to Tie a Tie
Olivia Palermo on Her Style for Spring 2012
Zoë Kravitz on Her Fashion Style at Fashion Week New York
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...