A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,086
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what to do with ATC's/ my life  (Read 810 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpottedFrog
« on: August 07, 2007 08:09:29 AM »

Ok, I keep seeing these beautiful little pieces of art being swapped around. So what do you do with them once recieved? Display? put into a book? Add to others for something bigger?

I've made a couple little things lately but they are just kicking around on my desk. I'm pleased with them, they are very personal, but now what? Do I dare start a set for gallery display in hopes of a show? My degree is in Art, technically I'm qualified for this but in reality I've either been working to keep a roof over my head or working as mommy the last couple years. Now that my older daughter is headed for kindergarden, the little one is wearing big girl panties & my husbands job is stable & our income is comfortable I have time and resources to be an artist....and I'm terrified.

I think working on the ATC's really brought this to a head for me, it was a very personal project and I was very pleased with the final product. They are pure art for me, which I haven't done in years.

Sort of rambling, but feedback would be nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mishti
amateur transmogrifier

Under There?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007 09:50:52 AM »

hmm, that is scary, but it's exciting too.  Maybe you could make more and show them off at a show, or use them as inspiration for larger pieces.  And if you can't get a show, at least you have an awesome set of art that you made.  As far as your personal stuff, if they mean so much to you and you don't mind others seeing them, you should display them on your own wall, either as is or framed. 

As for ones you've received, I don't think you should put that type of stuff in a book.  Art like that should be enjoyed without having to think about enjoying it, ie: remembering it's in that one book, locating the book, looking at them for a moment and putting the book on the shelf.

I'm excited for you.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am mebellus on Ravelry
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007 07:10:02 AM »

Thank you : )

On the practical side of ATC's, what do you do with them once they are done? Every wall in my house is already covered and I've got 6 book cases full top to bottom with books, knick-knacks & sentimental crap... Little boxes of them? I figured you could use the old style picture corners to hold ATC's in a book without damaging them, but so many are dimentional I don't think that would work. Little boxes?

On the life side I've never been great at schmoozing, which is an integral step in the gallery proccess. But I am older and wiser than when I graduated, so just maybe I'll be better at that too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Prickly Venus
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007 10:18:18 AM »

Yup, it can be scary to finally be allowed to have time for self-realization. Scary, scary freedom! Personally, I would do some non-structured journaling/automatic writing about this, and see what comes out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calluna
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007 06:38:55 PM »

I've had the same "Now what?" hesitations about swapping ATCs. I LOVE looking at other people's cards, but I don't like to possess a lot of art and creations with which I don't have a personal connection (such as things I've made myself or a friend has made for me). I agree with Prickly Venus about journaling, and would add the possibility of putting the ATCs you've received into journals with library-style sleeves or adhesive triangular photo corners. One for every few pages. Then use them as visual writing prompts.

As for what to do with the ones you've made, you could possibly have some reproduced and made into your business/calling cards. It might be a little costly, but it would certainly stand out and be a business card others would (and should!) be reluctant to toss or file away.
Another option is to put them under plexiglass, on top of your desk, coffee table, nightstand, etc. Just make sure that plexiglass is secured so it doesn't get bumped off and make a big mess.
And yet another option would be to include them in a personal scrapbook/journal, or one for your kids to have when they grow up, as part of the documentation of this stage of your life. Especially since you are a trained artist and its sounds like you have little other formal artwork from this time. If my mom were an artist, I would love to see the impact birthing and raising me had on her creativity and artistic process!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
sswartfi
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007 07:09:06 AM »

I just joined craftster, and I was so pleased to see ATC's as the topic! A chronological arrangement of the cards, along with some journaling would be the best way to go, for your own memory purposes.

If you were thinking of dipping your toes into the world of Art as a Business, duplicate the ATC's both same size and large versions. Then, you could use them as business cards, print for graphic t-shirts (I've done this and it was great) and posters.

Would any of your ATC lend themselves to a more 3-D format? I have a friend who runs a little craft store and she is jumping up and down for less 2-D items and more 3-D. She told me all her wall space is taken, but that she wouldn't mind setting more sculpture type things on tables and shelves.

I just received a few ATC's from a paper craft demonstrator who lives nearby and I was trying to think of what to do with artwork from other people...It's easy to think of what to do with mine, but more difficult to figure out what to do with someone else's?... Keep them, add them to my own work...

I have the new ones in baseball card hard cases, only because I have three kids and they can't seem to keep their hands off of them. Then, I lined them up along a display shelf in my dining room, so they are visible and safe.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007 07:16:24 AM by sswartfi - Reason: needed to add, make changes. (Should've previewed first,huh!) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007 08:40:08 AM »

As regards the networking side of an artist's life, may I suggest you look over Yahoo Groups and see which crafty ones appeal to you?  Totally free to join, lots of useful discussion and support in the good groups and if you join a dead one, it's only a mouse-click to unsubscribe after a few days.  They are also very woman-friendly - I'm usually the only guy around!

I opted for the Daily Digest format, where I get one longish email a day from each group, but you can also get everything sent as individual emails.  Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
antigone
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007 03:57:17 AM »

I think you're answering your own questions about working as an artist- this is just a kick in the butt.

Go on, be an artist! You can do it and you know it! Go, go, go!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scrapally
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007 06:38:33 AM »

I have a couple of ways that I store my ATCs, both mine and those I've received.  As a "catch-all" I use an ATC album made by Leisure Arts/Memories In The Making.  I store the bulk of my ATCs in here, especially those I've received from others.  The album is available in 2 designs:

http://www.leisurearts.com/all_skills/papercrafting/default.asp?display=detail&item_num=6522&sort=title&page=1&rec_num=1&from=PRD&startRec=0

and

http://www.leisurearts.com/customer_care/search/item_detail.asp?item_num=6521&sort=title&page=1&rec_num=6&startRec=0&skill=CF&search=atc%20album

I have the Queen's Court version.

I also have a few handmade books/boxes that I use for "special collections," typically designed to match the cards inside.

I found a really beautiful wooden box at Hobby Lobby designed to store playing cards, I keep a few favorites in there also.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007 06:39:47 AM by scrapally » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Allyson Bright Meyer

Author, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Scrapbook Projects & The Complete Idiot's Guide to Altered Art
Scrapbooking & Altered Art: http://www.allysonbrightmeyer.com
Knitting: http://allysonbrightmeyer.typepad.com/knitting
SpottedFrog
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007 07:22:23 PM »

Thank you all so much! I haven't been following up on this post lately, tonight was a good time for it.

I don't have a ton of ATC's yet, but I got a new cabinet and my current ones are in a shallow drawer there untill I find something more permanent. Hubby collects baseball cards so there's plenty of cases kicking around as he buys supplies in bulk : )

Yes, I have been researching a lot over the last week trying to formulate a game plan. I'm a great shopper and think I'm going to open an Etsy shop & sell supplies, I have a knack for finding real vintage materials & notions and Etsy is a place people who appreciate that stuff will shop. That's phase one : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Mac From Fosters Home
How to Draw Lumpy Space Princess
How to Draw Lucario from Pokémon
How to Draw Lord Nibbler Futurama
How to Draw Lola
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...