A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New here... Any one in Iowa?  (Read 18813 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pirategal
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2005 11:27:17 AM »

im in cedar falls. theres a nice knitting store downtown, i think its called three oaks. the lady there is really nice and helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
irid3sc3nt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I <3 Halloween

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2005 10:05:41 AM »

I'm in Iowa City--just finished college at the U, thank you very much-- and the thrift stores here are pretty sweet.  Since it's a collegetown, lots of people give up their stuff so you get nice used items.  Oh, and especially cruise the area in May when the dorms close and the last week in July cuz EVERYONE throws out their junk, even if it is in good condition.  Heh, lots of stuff in my apartment is from the end-of-the-school-year craziness.  Also there are plenty of garage sales in Iowa City.  Check out the weekly Ad-Sheet for those.  Plus there's these thrift/antique/consignment shops:
Stuff Etc.--one close by K-Mart south of Iowa City and the other is in Coralville close by the retro McDonalds off I-80.  I've had more successful visits at the one in Coralville.
Houseworks--  (which I love is on Stevens Drive on the southside of I.C.--- back by their knickknack section they keep their fabric and other crafting stuff.  I found some sweet vinyl and some other fabric that has little monsters on it
Granny's-- southside I.C. across from Office Depot--  if I remember right someone there has JARS of buttons for cheap
Artifacts--lots of cool vintage, great selecting of jewelry and brooches as well!  corner of market and gilbert
The Antique Mall- next to Verde (used to be the Green Room) on South Gilbert.  One thing I noticed was that they sell the oyster shells that had buttons cut out of them.  Oh, and they had false eyes!
Crowded Closet on Gilbert Ct.  straight back from where you enter there's a craft section that has vintage books/mags, embroidery, lace, rickrack, fabric, yarn, buttons, sewing notions, lots o stuff!  Check it out!
Second Act--my favorite place to shop for clothes.. they're also a vintage and costume shop, too  they're across from where the Goodwill used to be on Boyrum on Olympic Ct.
Revival is also nice b/c if she likes your work, you can sell it at her shop  like scarves, clothes, jewelry, etc. -- it's on Linn Street across from the Iowa City Public Library which ROCKS
Paul's Discount is fun to go to as well, it's an unusual general store... very fun to browse through and find fun items--back behind JoAnne's on Hwy 1

Ben Franklin- Sycamore Mall  Yay!  I love this place! 
The Knitting Shoppe- across from Walgreens on Muscatine Ave  Lots of unique yarn.  I just picked up a cotton and wool blend that feels heavenly.
JoAnnes- corner of Riverside and Hwy 1

There is a Hobby Lobby in Coralville; the very back is where most of the crafts are.  The rest is pre-made junk.   I'd rather go to Ben Franklin.  They have a better selection anyway, I think.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006 08:08:10 PM by irid3sc3nt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
Swaps:  OTT October10/21, Creepy Cute Stuffie10/23
bOOyah.
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2005 08:08:34 AM »

A place for Iowans...yay! I'm from Mt. Pleasant, just 45 miles south of Iowa City. I've hit some of the spots in Iowa City mentioned above, but there are a few I haven't...I'll have to make a trip up there!!! Cheesy Yay for summer and the time to do that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2005 08:30:35 AM »

I'm in Iowa City too. 

In addition to irid3sc3nt's great list I would add:  The Yarn Shop on Muscatine Ave -- pricey but great selection of unusual stuff, and the owner can help you with anything you can dream up to ask.  And right next door is Clothworks owned by a great woman named Sally who specializes in eco-friendly, beautiful fabrics.  She tailors as well, and is wonderfully helpful.  She actually found and special ordered hemp satin fabric for my friend's wedding gown!

Smiley

(and how amused am I that the spell check just suggested "mescaline" for "Muscatine"...?  Cheesy )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
shewantstoknow
"sometimes you just gotta say What the FUCK?"

"I'm damaged bad at best"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2005 06:57:26 PM »

Hello everyone!  I love you all...such a group of beautiful people!   Grin

I just moved to Des Moines, Iowa, from San Diego, CA...and don't know many people here...was just curious if any of you sweet people are near by?  

Thanks and have a super day!
Sincerely,
Marisa
 Smiley

i used to live in des moines, then ames, then SAN DIEGO, and now ames again! how cool is that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm in love with the world/ through the eyes of a girl/ who's still around/ the morning after"
scintilated
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2005 11:45:46 PM »

This is my first post. I'm from a small town near Iowa City (gotta love Stuff, Etc.) and I go to college in Des Moines. I'm an art student and I'm loving craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bohemeg

like art could save a wretch like me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2005 09:34:20 PM »

Well I'm not from Iowa, I'm from Wisconsin, near the Wisconsin Dells... but I go to school at Coe in Cedar Rapids... so I guess I'm technically an Iowa resident for 9 months of the year.  CR has a great yarn and bead shop... there's an okay yarn shop in Marion.  Otherwise there's like a Hancocks, JoAnns, Michaels... otherwise I don't know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
websurfer68
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2005 08:32:23 PM »

I'm in Cedar Rapids and do tons of crafts (stamping, beading, photography, photo archiving, stained glass, sewing to name a few).

Has anyone found the new location of Dawn's Bead & Hideaway in Iowa City?  She isi no longer on  Washington Street.

Local bead stores in CR: 

Beads & Beyond
Beads Etc (?) southwest side by Pei's

Marion:

Hearthside Gifts
Facette's - now on Blairs Ferry down by Thomas Park.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2005 06:24:57 AM »

Dawn's has moved downtown; still on Washington Street, but up where it it one way, next to the drive through bank on the corner of Washington and Linn.  When I see the exact address I'll try to remember to post it....  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
timeflies
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2005 08:12:01 PM »

I'm from Iowa Cheesy          It's a great place, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Douglas Carlton Abrams Talks About Eye of the Whale
Philippa Gregory on Writing About Witchcraft
Summer of Two Wishes Book Trailer
Philippa Gregory Talks About The White Queen
Michael Ian Black Reads from Chicken Cheeks
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...