A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are you making for Christmas this year (2007)?  (Read 30603 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elabela
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2007 10:40:13 AM »

Mine changed a bit so here goes so far on our list.. I need to make a concrete list so I will stick to it!

Mom: going to finish a sweater for her. though I will hopefully be able to give it to her in Nov. as an early gift, as she has some art shows to go to  and wants a new sweater for it!(she's a full time artist and has on of her major shows then)

dad: not sure yet.. maybe golf club covers?, socks? He owns and edits a newspaper but it's not really his 'passion', it's a family business. He loves golf. and LOVES to cook, any ideas? Planning to get him an expensive frying pan as well as anything crafted.

hubby: i am making him a hat for his birthday. mitts and scarf for xmas, but not sure what else. he is horrible to even sweat socks, so I definitely won't be knitting him socks, yuck!

brothers(I have two) - a guitar strap for one, not sure how yet though, knitted or otherwise, and for the other a hat.. i think this one http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTbluehills.html

Brothers gf: I have no effing idea. She's a nurse, 21, loves clothes, going out, shopping, make up.. i might just end up buying her books or something. But I don't want to craft for everyone and not her! Maybe a mittens/hat/scarf set?  Also, all three of them(both brothers and girlfriend) just moved in together.

MIL/FIL: no clue! I might make them felted slippers?! I did baked goods last year, and would love to do an afghan but I don't have enough time. We are also getting them either a digital frame or a digital camera(they don't have one yet!)

Cher, Laur, Shan - some of my best friends, 2 of them are getting mittens, the third is getting some knit graffiti (modelled after the 'knitta please" campaign) for her bicycle!

Best friend/cousin - still have no idea. If she moves into her new place by then, probably buy her some fancy wine glasses and a nice bottle of wine. She lurrrves wine. maybe a knit wine cozy to go with it? And for her younger sister: also no clue. but probably scarf/mitts/hat thing,

Grandma: Just recently moved into a seniors residence; am going to probably knit her a lap blanket for her new place, or a mohair-y one for her bed.

For EVERYONE else(I have a big family, my dad has 11 siblings. who all live in our small town. it's ridiculous) I am making family cookbooks. We are a culinary family, and we have a long history of traditional cooking/recipes. My mother is a journal/book maker and has the equipment for me, so thats the plan! Though I don't know if I will have enough copies done by then, we shall see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's my birthday! - November 8!
toriaa

my friends are yours

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2007 06:03:34 PM »

Cher, Laur, Shan - some of my best friends, 2 of them are getting mittens, the third is getting some knit graffiti (modelled after the 'knitta please" campaign) for her bicycle!

omg! knit graffiti! i found their website... it's WONDERFUL! thank you for sharing this! it's a great idea! i am such a fan of public art. *sighs dreamily*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fritzichic
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2007 05:47:47 AM »

Girl 1: 19   
Girl 2: 18  -------------(if she has a car, a trinket she can hang from the rear view mirror)(lipgloss)
Girl 3: 13 -------------(homemade jewelry)(backpack dangles)(lipgloss)(small stitchery with favorite quote)
Girl 4: 12 -------------(craft kit of items you put together)(backpack dangles)(lipgloss)
Girls 5 & 6: 10  ---------------(homemade hair trinkets are perfect for them)
Girl 7: 6 months (at christmas) -------------(What about a homemade hoodie towel with her name stitched on it?, stuffies, )

Boy 1: 20  -----------(no idea, sorry!)
Boy 2: 7   ----------------Homemade spy gear           
Boy 3: 3    ---------------handmade cape with his name on it, fleece works well for this

homemade candy for all

hope this gets the creative juices flowing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fritzichic
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2007 07:04:58 AM »

Christmas is big in our family, so one gift doesn't cut it most of the time.

Mom- handwoven Indian miniature basket necklace from a kit, handmade bracelet and necklace set in this season's colors, digital frame, photo book, stitchery for her office

Religious niece and nephews that can read are getting Activity books with religious themes to help them remain quiet during church services

BIL and his sons (7,6) will be given a very thick book on building things using kid friendly material, awesome find 80% off, the mom will get a stitchery

Sister- Cheap magazine subscription off of Ebay, cooking related

Niece- Hair things, dress up stuff

Nephew- no idea

Brother and his family- homemade tomato jam, a Tennessee ornament, Board game (traditional gift), a stitchery but I don't know what it will say yet. 

Daughter (10)  Hair trinkets, Hannah Montana backpack dangle, craft kit, mp3 player with 20 audiobooks downloaded free online from the library, Hannah Montana CD

Son (7) decoupaged (with comics) Treasure box for all of his treasures, mp3 player with 20 audiobooks downloaded free online from the library

Son (3) Lightning McQueen fleece blanket, lightning Mcqueen and Tow mater jammies bought for 80% off

Daughter (1)  Baby doll, homemade fleece blanket

SIL  Stitchery with her favorite quote, bookmark, candy

Hubby- lights for his truck, rockhounding equipment, digital frame,

A homemade ornament plus gourmet Caramel Apples, Homemade pumpkin chocolate chip bread, Chippers candy, and homemade gingersnaps . . .  and maybe some homemade jam will be for all the leftover families that I haven't listed (four of them)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairysari
)'( deep playa walker )'(

guinea piggin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2007 07:40:05 AM »

I am hoping to craft for everyone this holiday. No store bought gifts at all. So I'm going to try to write down my whole list for the first time. Red is stuff I still have to do, Green is stuff that's done.

Hannukah is with my family. I really want to make mah jong tile menorahs for my parents and grandparents, and possibly one of my cousins. I just need to find a cheap enough mah jong set to use. My grandmother plays every week, I think my whole family would find them amusing.

Christmas is with my boyfriend's family. For him, I have made two pairs of pajama pants, one in fleece, the other in cotton. He has also requested a warm knitted scarf to match his winter coat. I'll probably go all out and use a super nice yarn like Noro silk garden, do some crazy fair isle, and possibly make a matching pair of convertible mitts (fingers can be in or out).   
*More ideas*: Felt or felted top hat or other fun hat to wear at Burning Man. Also a tie, either knitted or sewn or maybe both.

For his sister: a nice scarf. Maybe a Palindrome or an argosy.  I already bought the yarn for it, its a really nice purple Prairie silks. Any other scarf pattern suggestions are more than welcome. Also some knitted dishcloths, and maybe some ornaments?

Niece: She's 11. I already made her a matching shrug and hat, I was amazed at how fast it went. Posted here. I also just found out that she is going to dress up as Hermione for the second Halloween in a row, so I am making her a Hogwarts Gryffindor scarf also. It's currently on the needles. I'm loving this knitting a stockinette scarf in the round!

MIL: Probably a branching out scarf. I already have the yarn for it. She suggested doing an all handmade Christmas  this year, so I am excited Smiley. She is an art teacher, amazing quilter, and creative crafter, so I am curious to see what she comes up with.

FIL: Another scarf. Probably multidirectional diagonal scarf.

And for them together, some dishcloths, and maybe some ornaments. And some knitted cat toys for their kitties.

I have one friend I would like to make a red hat or something for. I have this pattern from a knitting pamphlet from my grandmother for a hat, that I've made a few times, and I think she *really* wants one in red.

For friends that we usually exchange small food gifts with, I might do cocoa mix in a mug type of gifts. Same with coworkers, except for one who once asked if I could knit slippers, so she'll get those.

I think that's it! (I hope!)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007 12:59:52 PM by fairysari » THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:Ravelry:.  .:Tumblr:.  .:Flickr:.
shastaw2006
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2007 12:34:43 PM »

Best friend/cousin - still have no idea. If she moves into her new place by then, probably buy her some fancy wine glasses and a nice bottle of wine. She lurrrves wine. maybe a knit wine cozy to go with it?

I saw these made in a swap, they're wine glass coasters

on this page http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=97122.msg932137#msg932137

You could even make them in different colors, and they would be wine charms too! and the way you slide your glass into it, people will always use a coaster. I adore them, I'm totally making some
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2007 11:50:29 AM »

for my best friend:

paper clip/button bookmarks
button earrings?

im thinking of playing with my bead loom which i havent done in a long time and see if maybe i can make her a bracelet Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
Oublei
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2007 12:34:40 AM »

Oh dear.

*Mom: Coupon book, Knit stocking with candy, knit laptop cozy, oven mitt puppets (my grandmother made these with me when I was wee), dinosaur costume for her pug
*Dad: Knit beanies -- he's hard because he's a paraplegic and isn't independent yet.
*Younger brother (16): Knit beanie, scarf, mittens, cell-phone cozy, laptop cozy
*Grandmother: Oven mit puppets, knit dishcloths
*Boyfriend's Mom: Colorful/patterned dishcloths, indoor plant?, knit scarf?, gift certificate?, cat toys
*Boyfriend: Double-boiler, no idea what to make.
*Roommate: Something purple
*Friend (20): hat & mittens?
*Taekwondo student (18/m): Jayne hat?
*Taekwondo student (22/f): hat & mittens?, bath bombs
*Taekwondo peer (52/m): mohawk hat
*Taekwondo instructor's father: something edible or smokeable
*Ex-tkd student (17/f): scarf?, scoodie
*Taekwondo students (~70): cards (and magnets?)

oy vey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

niggle24

Crouch! Touch! Pause! Engage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2007 08:36:10 AM »

Eeep - lots of great ideas in here!
I currently live in France with my parents, while the rest of my family lives in Scotland so a lot of my present for friends of other family members have to be transportable and not too big! I really want to go all out this year though as I currently have a lot of spare time and want to make as many gifts between now and Christmas!

Here's what I've got so far...

Mum- painted plate for special occasions, painted mug, earings, and other undecided things.
She likes gardening, baking, sewing and reading.

Dad - a painting I started months ago, a stencilled tee with a funny drinking quote on it, possibly a photo of the two of us framed.

Eldest Sister (27) - very rough ideas so far: painting of her husband and son, bookmarks, and other undecided things.
She likes reading, photography, witchcraft, dreaming, and her son & husband.

Her Husband (27) - painted mug as he would die without his coffee, stencilled tee shirt (something geeky), but I'm not sure...
He likes comics, computer games, cider, dice, nintendo and star trek.

Their Son (3) - pillow type thing (not sure on the details) , small framed paintings of boats/truck/rockets etc, and maybe a stencilled tee.

Other Sister (23) - Set of bracelets, necklace, cookie/biscuit selection (her and her husband will be here for Xmas this year), and other undecided things.
She likes bags, her cats, healthy eating, shoes and smoothies.

Her husband (33) - No ideas yet.
He likes Linux, philosophy, science fiction, role playing, and his wife.

Brother (21) - Absolutely no idea. He's not the kind of person that would appreciate/need a handmade gift. Hmm...
He likes football, clubbing and drinking with friends, being Scottish and not much else!

Friend 1 (18) - Something along the lines of Harry Potter in a box: Monster book of monsters, a broomstick pencil, HP bookmarks, something with her favourite house that I've yet to decide.

Friend 2 (18) - Photography journal/notebook (just decoupage a normal notebook with funky pics), and other undecided things.
She's currently studying photography at college so I wanted to keep to that theme... Might use her favourite band or something though.

Haha, I just read through the rest of the posts here and I totally love Toriaa's idea of making yourself a Christmas present. I might have to do the same, us lot definately deserve something for our months of hard work and sleepless nights  Wink
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007 09:08:28 AM by niggle24 - Reason: Adding more info! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY GIFT IS MY SONG! And this one's for you...
Christinemichelle
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2007 01:13:26 PM »

I'm crocheting myself Knitty's Vegan Fox for my Christmas present to myself this year Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Parisian Inspired Looks For Fall
Mark Fast - London - Spring 2014 - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
You Can Rock Designer Fall Fashion Trends For Less
Style Sound-Off: Miley Cyrus, Sofia Vergara, Heidi Klum
4 Tricks to Break in Your Boots
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...