A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
366 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trip to Japan  (Read 2172 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

phoebe0506
« on: December 04, 2004 12:05:01 AM »

My boyfriend and I are going to Japan in January, Nagoya to be exact. He's going to be playing cards the whole time, so I'll be left on my own. I need to know of some awesome places to go, things to do, stores to hit, crafting and otherwise, and the like. I'm completely out of my element here. I know nothing about Nagoya at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Ashley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
its apathy
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005 05:50:22 AM »

Hope this isn`t too late for you. I am currently in Tokyo for the year and uh... what I know about Nagoya:
1 - it is far from tokyo. holy cow. i just looked it up. 5 hours by normal train and about 2 hours by shinkansen (bullet train) -- roughly $40-100 to get to tokyo one way.

2 - toyota builds cars there. my friend and i are planning a day trip out there because he is a toyota nut and i figured seeing a factory in japan would be a fun day of...robots?

ok the unfortunate news aside, you are still in japan so there are still a few billion possibilities. not knowing much else about the area specifically -- $1 stores (aka hyaku yen stores), department stores in general, lots of food to eat. as long as you can remember the name of the place you are staying at, i would recommend just wandering around and seeing what you can see. after being in tokyo for three months and having a general grasp of where i live i can still wander around and find interesting things - a shop that makes tatami mats that line the floors of traditional japanese homes, a really good ramen shop, and cute clothing stores.

sorry i cant be more specific. if you do want to spend the dough to get into tokyo i can definitely be more of service to you, just drop me an e-mail - togflATgmailDOTcom.

good luck, have fun.
julie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
linbtl
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005 06:59:50 AM »

phoebe0506, how'd you like it??? I'm going to Nagoya for a couple weeks in June, and I'm at a complete loss about the city. Any suggestions for a fellow traveler?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my artsy-craftsy blog:
http://linbtl.livejournal.com/
selenium
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005 07:36:24 AM »

I lived in Nagoya for a while and there are plenty of little places to shop there.  If you are looking for a good guidebook, the Fodors guide for Japan has a pretty good section on Nagoya.

Firstly, Nagoya is a great place for traditional crafts.  Seto, Tajimi, and Tokonabe are all great places to find cheap handmade pottery.  Tajimi is especially my favorite and has a neat pottery trail.  There is also a section of town (I think midori-ku) where they practice this amazingly intricate form of tye-dye called shibori.  That place is especially good for finding traditional Kimono goods, but they're expensive.

Ossu-kannon is a typical shopping arcade.  There are the standard noodle stands and pachinko parlors, but there are also places selling amazingly cheap used kimonos.  One of my favorite retro-style shops, Organ-Fan, is also there.

Sakae has the big department stores.  If you're looking for crafty things then Loft and Tokyu hands are good places to start.  I looove Japanese school supplies and both of those stores have entire floors dedicated to crafts and school stuff.

Have fun! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
linbtl
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005 07:56:28 AM »

Awesome! Thanks for the advice!

This is completely unrelated to crafts, but how easy is it to get around town without using the train? My caravan has been discussing getting a Japan rail pass for one week of the two we're there. We plan on hanging out in Nagoya for a week and using our rail passes to roam the countryside for the other week. Do you think it would be worth it to spend the money on the rail pass for the additional week if we're just hanging around town?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my artsy-craftsy blog:
http://linbtl.livejournal.com/
selenium
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005 08:45:40 AM »

I don't think it's worth it if you're staying in Nagoya for the week.  You can get around using the subway and bus system.  I did not have a car when I lived there, so I rode the bus everywhere.  Most of the interesting sites are not on a JR line, anyway.  The Meitetsu will get you to Seto and Inuyama.  Inuyama is pretty cool and has the oldest castle in Japan if you find Nagoya's reproduction castle to be boring (it burned down in WWII). 

Nagoya, however, is a great place for side-trips to Ise or Kyoto if you're interested.  But if you're planning on staying in Aichi prefecture a JR pass would be wasted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rocknroar
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005 12:14:06 AM »

phoebe0506, how'd you like it??? I'm going to Nagoya for a couple weeks in June, and I'm at a complete loss about the city. Any suggestions for a fellow traveler?

Hiya. I live in Osaka right now and that's not too far from Nagoya. You can either take a shinkansen (bullet train) or an express train (cheaper) that will get you out here. There are lots of fabric stores that sell fabric for pretty cheap. Also, you might want to check out ABC crafts which is four floors of fabric, traditional Japanese craft items, yarn...anything you could ever want. If you want more info or more details then PM me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Coffee Meringue Topped With Chocolate and Raspberries
Easy No-Bake Ice Cream Cake Recipe
Key Lime Tart Recipe
How to Make Churro Ice Cream Sandwiches
How to Make Chocolate-Granola Drop Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...