A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift for friend studying abroad (Australia)  (Read 380 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laceypooh

I've looked at clouds from both sides now..

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2007 03:09:15 PM »

So my best friend is in Australia right now, and will be there until the end of November I believe.  I wanted to knit something and send it to her but I don't know what to knit for her.  I'm thinking something small that doesn't take a ton of time cause I'd like to send it soon.  Some sort of accessory or something.  Could anyone tell me what the weather is like there this time of year, and what kinds of things are popular there, or what would be practical for the weather?  My only idea so far has been maybe an Australian flag iPod cozy?  Any help is much appreciated.   

Oh, and is it gonna cost an arm and a leg to ship something small?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to have fun. I want to shine like the sun. I want to be the one that you want to see. I want to knit you a sweater. I want to write you a love letter. I want to make you feel better. I want to make you feel free. --Joni Mitchell

http://laceyknitsandpearls.blogspot.com/
girldistracted
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007 04:13:00 PM »

Hi,

Where in Australia is your friend studying? The weather is going to vary alot depending on where she is. Generally, it's winter at the moment, but winter doesn't tend to last very long (in my opinion, but since I'm actually Swedish, that's what I'm comparing it to!) and it usually doesn't get as cold as it would in other parts of the world. Some places won't get very cold at all. So you might want to think about when you'll be able to send the present and plan for that. Ipod cozies work all year round of course and should be pretty cheap to send. Maybe send her something that reminds her of home? It shouldn't cost too much to ship if it's not too big. Now, I've only shipped things the other way, so don't trust me. Maybe check the US postal service website? They usually have guidelines on shipping prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neekie

gauge schmauge.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007 05:59:42 PM »

It's winter right now, but it's not very cold at the moment and it's getting warmer already. Like girldistracted said, it depends where in Australia you are as well cos it's a lot warmer in some parts than others. I think an ipod cozy is a good idea, or even a small knitted toy (though that might be bulky to send). I wouldn't knit a hat or scarf, I don't think she'd need it!

I don't know about shipping to Australia, I only know that the US post increased their prices for international shipping in May so it's more expensive now (so it's more expensive to buy yarn online and have it shipped here Sad)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laceypooh

I've looked at clouds from both sides now..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007 06:33:20 PM »

lol yeah, i guess it is a big country.  didn't think to mention the area.  she is in Perth.  Smiley   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to have fun. I want to shine like the sun. I want to be the one that you want to see. I want to knit you a sweater. I want to write you a love letter. I want to make you feel better. I want to make you feel free. --Joni Mitchell

http://laceyknitsandpearls.blogspot.com/
redwitch
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007 07:55:17 PM »

Up north is damn near tropical... Perth is cooler, but nowhere cold enough to get snow at all (going by latitude and compared to the places I've been). Winter is now ending, spring begins about Sep 21 by popular convention. I don't think a small package will be very expensive at all. I think a Calorimetry or Panda would be really good? It depends on what she likes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
klement
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007 04:02:46 AM »

I live in Perth. It's winter at the moment but november is approaching summer time, and we get some very dry/hot summers.

And yes, as redwitch mentioned, it is not cold enough here in Perth to get snow. At the moment, I think the temperatures are about 16-21 or so but it is quite patchy - some days beautiful, some days very wet.

That said however, where is she from originally? My cousins came over from Malaysia (very humid there) and couldn't stand the 21 degrees here and had to rug up. My friend from Britain however thought it was summer!! So it also depends on how she reacts to the weather Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Handmade Custom Luggage Tags
Homemade Watercolor Paint with Brendan Fraser
How to Make Sidewalk Chalk with Brendan Fraser
DIY Seashell Candles
Tie Dying Basics
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...