A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hammered and Oxidized! (Well, some of them are oxidized.)  (Read 2603 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jmesdiylounge
That girl is crafty like ice is cold! ~Beastie Boys

Sew it up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007 02:20:23 PM »

Freaking A those are so nice looking. thanks for this tips about ozidizing too! I am so going to by some silver wire and try this my self!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My shop Boatload of Craft is here!!
Boatload of Craft - My Shop/MySpace/Flickr
gypsysoul3
PinkBird Creations

take it light, and take flight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007 03:32:45 PM »

your earrings are fantastic! the whole egg-boiling method of oxidizing the metal is really interesting and pretty cool!

i know you said you used 20 gauge wire, but i'm wondering if it's just regular sterling silver wire....see, i have a problem that whenever i try to do "fun" things with wire--like using a jig or something (excluding wire wrapping, i guess) i end up bending the wire unintentionally--usually after i'm finished and trying to wear it.

i guess what i'm asking is, how strong is the wire? will the earrings get bent out of shape easily?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinkbird.net
uncommon, handmade jewelry, accessories, and wearable art.

on etsy: http://www.pinkbird.etsy.com

Read my blog: http://pinkbirdcreations.blogspot.com/
burnt muffin
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007 06:16:49 PM »

pretty cool! thanks for sharing  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007 06:39:01 PM »

I love the earrings and thank you so much for sharing the egg oxidizing method.  That's a look I love, but the caustic chemicals always scared me off.

Maimun
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
ragdoll193
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007 06:47:28 PM »

where do you get your materials and what tools do you use? i've been interested in learning this for a while, but have no clue where to start
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
mrgrita
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007 06:50:37 PM »

nice! Looks like you're getting a handle on hammering:)  On the second pair I would hammer the areas with bends in them to work harden those points and make sure they don't misshapen with time (maybe you did this and I can't tell.)  Just a suggestion!:D
~margarita
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anwylaeth
Lady of the Lens

Gradatim ferociter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007 09:32:13 PM »

Thanks for the info on the boiled egg oxidizing method - that's too frickin' cool!  I like them very much.  I wonder, could you add a bead to wires you had already oxidized and bent?  Maybe that would be too hard, but I bet it would look awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Al tefachdu lomar et ha'emet shelachem
Don't be afraid to tell your truth.

Have we got some internal sequin issues, Benjamin?
cold.dinner
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007 02:15:55 AM »

To be honest(I think its just me), it doesn't grab me. But kudos for them. Very smart to use eggs. And very messy.. heh heh..  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megadoomer
Keeper of the Gems

Hi.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007 09:19:39 AM »

oh man. Those are great. Thank you for sharing that method. I am going to try this as soon as I get home. I can't wait!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and the weird behavior award goes to...
onceupon
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007 09:21:10 AM »

The wire IS surprisingly strong - it has been work hardened by the hammering. Even the bits that aren't flattened have been gently tapped more than a few times by the hammer to give the wire a bit more stability. The necklace piece I've made has a tendency to bend a bit - there is one long thin piece that is kind of vulnerable when I'm doing a lot of movement - but the earrings hold up really well to all sorts of handling.

You probably could add a bead after the fact to oxidized and hammered metal, but I'd add the bead beforehand. The egg won't hurt the bead and trying to slide a bead over the flattened bits is sometimes impossible. I've tried! *grin*

As to wear I get my materials - the silver wire came from a local jewelry supply place but you can also order it online. This stuff is half-hard (which makes me giggle every time - I am SO 12 years old) silver wire, and 19ft of it will cost about $20, depending on the price of silver. As for the rest, I just have regular jewelry pliers, a bit of scrap steel to use as an anvil, and a hammer from the tool box!

And thanks so much for the awesome comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Life-Changing Makeover Revealed
Tricks to Dressing Slimmer
How To Dress For A Sporting Event
Jill Martin With Marlo Thomas
Plus-Size Style Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...