A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,668
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Melted Swap?  (Read 6106 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2007 07:08:10 AM »

I'm not sure since I haven't seen the beaded Nintendo characters... Sounds like a good way to create pixel-art. You can probably find all kinds of computer programs to create a pattern first. I have reusable bottom plates with pegs to put the beads on. They come in all kinds of shapes and sizes but a square one would probably be best. There are two ways to make them stay together once you're satisfied with the pattern.

1. Glue (messy and boring). You cut out a piece of cardboard or other backing material, put glue on it and press it to the design. You can then remove the bottom plate and let it dry. Or perhaps let it dry some before removing the plate... I don't remember since I did this when I was 5 or so. Well... I'm pretty sure my teacher made it for me.

2. Iron! Place the bottom plate on the ironing board and place a parchment paper (I think it's called that, there are crazy expensive "ironing papers" too) over the beads. Keep the iron moving to avoid disasters. The top will become shiny and let go of the paper easily. When the design shows through the paper it should be ready. Flip it over and remove the bottom plate. Fold the paper over the back (front?) of the beads or place another paper on top and iron some on this side too. They're more durable if you iron on both sides, but some doesn't want the melted look on the front of their work. Those who like the unmelted look has to make their pattern mirrored.

Hey, I even found a video about how to iron Smiley There are some Swedish words mixed into the text, but you get the general idea. Looks like they're making Nintendo things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhtF0-6ep90
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Prickly Venus
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2007 09:54:38 AM »

Has anyone seen the paper bead project in Cloth, Paper, Scissors magazine? There is a heat gun, and some melting involved in that project, It looks interesting, i was thinking about trying it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007 10:10:13 AM »

Ooohh.. you guys are talking about Perler beads!  Wow, that's a blast from the past.  Fun stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2007 07:16:47 PM »

Although I haven't had a chance to poke around the craft store, I'm thinking about some things that I want to experiment with to test their "melt potential!" Next week, I think I'll do some practicing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2007 07:18:06 PM »

Today I told mr.sweets4ever that after the wedding, I'm done crafting for a year.  He said, "Yeah, until the next swap! Cheesy"  I said..."Oh, yeah.  There's a melted swap coming up soon!!"  Hehehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2007 03:07:10 PM »

Kappy has been melting all weekend in preparation for this swap. He has created some really cool things! Grin He had some failures too.  :(But they will have to remain a mystery until after the swap.  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2007 04:25:09 PM »

Okay, I'm going to start putting together the questionnaire for the melt swap and figuring out exactly how to go about being an organizer. First stop: The Swap Board Help Section!

I need to spend the week setting up my classroom so that it dazzles my students and makes them say, "Wow! I'm so glad I get to go to school here!" So, in between making stuff for my classroom, I'll be doing that. It will be up by the end of the weekend, I hope!

And, as I was driving home today, I thought of something that I could try melting...and I happen to have the supplies on hand...

And sweets- no crafting for a year? Bite your tongue!!!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007 04:25:57 PM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Kappy

Shaper of glass and other mediums...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2007 04:30:54 AM »

I enjoyed the YouTube how to. That was a cool version of the blocks from Super Mario Brothers on the Nintendo.  Smiley

This weekend was a melted bead warm up weekend. I attempted several different projects. One of them started out pretty cool, and then ended in utter and complete disaster. The other turned out pretty neat, and I think PinkyK is going to end up keeping them all.

I am hoping that PinkyK will post some pictures on the Melted Bead Craft-a-long.

More later,

Kappy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out PinkyK's Etsy Shop AllenKaperakDesigns

http://www.AllenKaperakDesigns.etsy.com
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2007 09:48:44 PM »

I just might have to make some time for this one! I love melting stuff... we melted the kids crayons in the car when we were on vacation and both kids were excited to break off pieces and color with them to see what colors would come about!!! I certainly thought it was going to be a tragedy! Those cute little melters-to-be!  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
Cuttie_2008
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2007 08:05:18 PM »

*squeals*  Cheesy I need to try this tomorrow!

First I'll ask my mother if she still has that old toaster oven. (Do convection ovens work? I think I have one out in the garage..) Then, when she says she doesn't still have it, I'll put the cats outside, let my mother work in the garden, (my sister will still be asleep..) And fire up the oven! *cue maniacal laughter*

Hm..bowl? Suncatcher? Votive holder? I have work to do!  Grin

Hehe, I looked through all these pages, clicked all the links, then looked through all -those- pages and clicked all -their- links! I'm so excited!  Cheesy

(I put the same thing in the Craft-A-Long, but this thread seems more active..)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my infantile blog! http://juliadawn.blog.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Dodo Bird
March 18th: The Art of the Steal
Billy Connolly Talks About His First Art Collection, Born on a Rainy Day
Alton Towers 3D Art Project
February 13th: Not-So-Good Grief
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...