A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do self-striping yarns work?  (Read 3100 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cat Loving Knitter
Knit 1 Purrl 2

This is my cat, Dexter! :)

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2007 05:23:14 PM »

Hi!
I used to think that it had something to do with gauge, but gauge can vary throughout a project. I bought a hank of Mountain Colors "Bearfoot" the other day, which I assume is a self-striping yarn, and it said "between so-and-so and so-and-so stitches to the inch." (I can't remember the numbers.) This would suggest that gauge isn't all that important. So now I'm confused; how do these yarns work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love knitting! (and cats)
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007 05:56:19 PM »

Self-striping yarns are dyed at certain regular lengths colors or color patterns that will depend on the intention of the manufacturer (i.e. self-striping sock yarns will have shorter color changes than more generic ones like Noro).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyGal13

teacher, knitter, colorguard girl, craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007 06:58:43 PM »

I did a self-striping yarn and got worried when the color changes weren't happening at the ends of the rows.  But it actually doesn't matter if the change occurs in the middle of a row because it's not that noticeable, at least with the fun fur i did the scarf with.  Does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007 12:58:12 AM »

gauge can vary throughout a project

Unless the pattern tells you to vary the gauge - like switching to a different size needle - it's not a good idea to vary the gauge. Consistent gauge is what ensures that your garment will fit and/or be the right dimensions when it's finished.

Mountain Colors isn't really what I would call a self-striping yarn. It does have a nice variegated color scheme going on, but it's not a well-defined stripe pattern like you'd get from Regia or Opal, for example. Don't get me wrong, Mountain Colors is gorgeous yarn (I love it!) but don't be expecting a self-striping fake Fair Isle or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
Corvus

Mildly obsessed knitter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007 01:30:35 AM »

I'm knitting some Jaywalkers out of Bearfoot right at the moment, they definitely do stripe, but in a subtle way.  They fade nicely from one shade to another, so whatever gauge you get should look just fine.  Your "stripes" will just be thicker or thinner, that's all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment ~ Rumi
shiyou
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007 06:11:19 AM »

Self-striping and variegated yarns are going to self-stripe and variegate no matter what gauge you get, but that doesn't mean that gauge doesn't matter. Gauge does matter. What it means when it says that it can be between two different numbers is that you can use different needle sizes, get between those two gauges, and still have a nice fabric. For example, if it said that the suggested gauge was between 4 and 5 stitches to the inch, you could get 4 stitches to the inch, 5 stitches to the inch and anything in between, such as 4.5 stitches to the inch.

I hope that helps!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cat Loving Knitter
Knit 1 Purrl 2

This is my cat, Dexter! :)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007 08:36:30 AM »

Thank you all! Smiley And when I said "gauge can vary throughout a project," I just meant that some days people knit looser, and some days people knit tighter. I know that gauge is important.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love knitting! (and cats)
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007 01:24:23 PM »

I'm knitting some Jaywalkers out of Bearfoot right at the moment, they definitely do stripe, but in a subtle way.

I think I was thinking of MC's weaver's wool. Oops! But Bearfoot does have a subtle, variegated type pattern (which will sometimes stripe if the knit item is narrow enough; if it's a large knit object, the variegated color will stretch over a large area and will probably never line up in stripes), but not well-defined stripes. That's what I meant. In other words, she should expect something like this:

(link to sweater at MC's website)

and not like this:

One is the striping you sometimes get with variegated yarn, and the other is a carefully designed color repeat meant to give you a specific pattern at a certain gauge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
laceypooh

I've looked at clouds from both sides now..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007 03:44:39 PM »

When I wanted to dye some self striping yarn for my Jaywalkers, I started by knitting a few rows in the necessary guage.  Then I frogged it and measured the yarn I had used and divided by the rows I had knitted.  That way I knew how much yarn was needed for one row.  Then I made it into a huge loop and divided it into sections for that yardage and dyed each section a different color.  Thankfully, it worked out perfectly.  I imagine this is generally how manufacturers do self-striping yarn.  They probably just use the average guage for a pair of socks, and make the stripes like that.  And like someone else had mentioned, even if it changes in the middle of a row, you're not going to notice on a pair of socks.  Maybe that was not the information you were wanting, but I just thought I'd explain how I did mine.  Hopefully it helped.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to have fun. I want to shine like the sun. I want to be the one that you want to see. I want to knit you a sweater. I want to write you a love letter. I want to make you feel better. I want to make you feel free. --Joni Mitchell

http://laceyknitsandpearls.blogspot.com/
lady_cyanide
too weird to live, too rare to die.

hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name <3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007 03:48:59 PM »

these yarns are MINDBOGGLING aren't they?!

my friend and i want to do a test...knit something really big (blanket or something) and see just how well it stripes itself lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a pile of shit has a thousand eyes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Final Cut Studio: Sync Menu Explained
Final Cut Express: Playing with Speed
Final Cut Express: Making a Cheap Giant with Masks
Motion 3: Motion Tracking in Motion Part 1
Final Cut Studio 2: 8 and 32bit Floating Point
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...