A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
782 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with sweater seaming  (Read 557 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midwifemamma
« on: August 05, 2007 12:45:50 PM »

I've been really spoiled by always making seamless sweaters, but I'm trying to branch out and currently have 3 baby sweaters OTN that all just need seaming.  Do I seam up the sleeves and then attach the sleeves to the sweater or the other way around?  I've redone two of the sleeves several times and just continue to get a bit of a pucker that is driving me crazy.  Is there a good resource for me to use to learn to put sweaters together???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007 12:53:14 PM »

Usually it's seam the flat sleeve piece to the body first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007 10:17:22 PM »

Generally, most patterns are written to be done similar to sewing the same garment - So, you would sew the shoulder seams and the side seams and the sleeve seam and then attach the sleeve to the garment.

Most cloth patterns have some ease in the top to make it fit better/more comfortably and I have found that most of my knitted sleeves are the same way. So determine the center top of your sleeve and pin it to the shoulder seam and the bottom center of the sleeve (and using the seam for the body as the center), pin it to the bottom center of the body of the knitted garment and then ease the remainder of the sleeve in between those two pins, pinning as you go. Then sew your seam.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancingbarefoot
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007 12:52:12 AM »

Generally, most patterns are written to be done similar to sewing the same garment - So, you would sew the shoulder seams and the side seams and the sleeve seam and then attach the sleeve to the garment.

Huh, that's exactly the opposite of what I was going to say. Most patterns have you sew the shoulder seams, then sew the sleeve into the armhole. Then you seam from wrist all the way down the arm, down the side, and end at the bottom of the sweater.

You can do it any way that it's easier for you, of course, but it's a lot harder to get your hands and needle in the right place if you've already sewn the sleeve into a tube when you're trying to connect it to the armhole. **two cents**  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
Riki
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007 05:52:19 PM »

Huh, that's exactly the opposite of what I was going to say. Most patterns have you sew the shoulder seams, then sew the sleeve into the armhole. Then you seam from wrist all the way down the arm, down the side, and end at the bottom of the sweater.

Well, I had the feeling I come from another era and that confirms it! When I was sewing my own clothes in my younger years - and as taught by both my mom and my home ec teacher - it was the way I described and it was done that way in order to ease the sleeve in properly. And all the patterns were written to have you do it that way. Yes, it made the sleeve one of the most difficult parts of the dress/blouse to do, that's true, but I do believe the fit was better! When I did start doing it the way you mentioned - it was only for sleeves without easing and they never did fit as well. (I'm very lazy and changed for the same reason you mentioned ... it's easier!) So interesting seeing how things change over the years!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancingbarefoot
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007 07:30:38 PM »

I don't doubt you. On the other hand, I've been knitting for many years and have never seen a single pattern that describes putting in a sleeve that way (not even in very old knitting books). That's what lead me to believe that the flat way is much, much more common.

I've tried it, actually, but it's a huge pain in the butt because once the arm is circular, you can't get your fingers in on the wrong side to seam it easily. It's still just as possible to ease the sleeve to the rounded armhole if done flat, so I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

Just my two cents' worth...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007 07:31:25 PM by dancingbarefoot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
Riki
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007 08:49:26 PM »

Again - another era! My old knitting patterns (dating about 30 years ago) say to do all seaming and then put the sleeve in ...

But - I agree 100% - whatever works for each individual person is the best way to go! We don't want to make things difficult or it will deter them from trying anything new!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nicki Minaj Minajesty Commercial
How To Apply Matte Red Lip Stain
Fall Makeup Trends From Jill Martin
3 Volume-Boosting Beauty Products For Your Hair, Lips and Skin
Change Your Eye Shape With Eyeliner Make Up Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...