A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm taking on my first big crochet project...  (Read 830 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 05, 2007 11:10:35 AM »

Am I being overly ambitious to take on some kind of Popcorn Stitched Bedspread for a Queen sized jumbo pillow top bed??  I usually knit but have been crocheting a lot lately and am so in love with it!  It seems a lot easier for me.  Go figure.

Anyway, my grandma gave me a 3 ft x 6 ft piece of a blanket in some white crochet thread she started in 1945 when she was pregnant with her first kid.  She thought that since I was the only grandchild remotely interested in crafts, I should have it b/c I'd appreciate it!  I do... a lot.  But I can't do much with a 3 x 6 "throw".  I thought about turning it into a bed spread if I can find the pattern. 

Do you think I should hold off or go for it?  I don't want to get disgusted with crochet nor get sick of looking at this since it was my grandma's.  Any experienced crocheters wanna voice their experiences with biting off more than they can chew??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007 12:41:50 PM »

Go for it! Why not?

If you get bored with it, you can always put it down for awhile and start something new.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Zoena

I love Halloween..

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007 02:14:46 PM »

My biggest concern with continuing it would be making everything match.

First off, no two crocheters use exactly the same tension, which is the whole point of gauge swatches. My sister can use the same size hook as me and have it come out half the size.

The other concern would be making the thread match. If it's from the 1940s, the thread will have aged, possibly becoming slightly discolored, and the texture will probably be different as well.

Personally, I think I'd look at it carefully to determine the pattern and make a matching bedspread, using the throw over a chair in the room. If they're not touching each other the subtle differences won't be nearly as noticeable as a line down the project where the original ends and yours begins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpookShowBaby
She's a Killer, She's a Thriller

Milk Sucks! Got Margaritas?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007 02:25:02 PM »

My first crochet project was a queen sized bedspread....It took me a little over a year to complete it because I had to keep putting it down and take a break from it because is was quite a job....BUT, the finished project was so worth the time it took to finish it...I love it!....so I say, go for it....The reward is so worth it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't believe in ghosts, bigfoot, or flaking on your swap partner!

http://www.wists.com/SpookShowBaby
spurtiic
Jennorific

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007 07:25:46 PM »

I thought about the crochet thread and how difficult it may be to find the same thread but it's just plain white Coats and Clarks ... same thread she uses today! ha ha

She doesn't remember the pattern or any of that sort (who would - it was almost 60 yrs ago!)... But she remembers getting tired of making it, thus it's small size. ha ha

However, it didn't occur to me about the aging.  It appears bright white.  It's been in a garment bag for decades, but that doesn't mean it didn't become discolored slightly. Maybe I should just crochet an edging around that to make it slightly larger (it's not big enough for a throw) to make a chair draping and then tackle a bedspread from scratch. Hmm...

Thanks for the tips guys!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
Zoena

I love Halloween..

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007 12:02:32 AM »

Sounds like the perfect time to learn the great art of faking a pattern!

If you don't want to unravel it to see how it's made (and with that age I wouldn't want to either) it will take a few hours of patience to figure out the pattern. sit down with a needle and a magnifying glass and start counting stitches. Consider how popcorns are made and try to guesstimate the stitches used. Then start trying stuff. If it doesn't look right yank it out and try again. it may take a few tries, but you'll get it eventually. Smiley Ganbatte yo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007 09:25:09 AM »

If it has aged something simple to try is staining your thread with coffee or tea. I don't know how well it would take on cotton thread but I've done it to cotton clothing with pretty good results. You'd have to play around to get the right consistancy of color.
I think you would be quite fine to go ahead and make the edging on the afgan. Use another color entirely if you like! I think that would be fun!
I'd say if you are worried about being bored have a few instant gratification projects ready and waiting. Perhaps a purse/bag, or hat or scarf you can make quick and easy and give away for christmas. (never to early to plan ahead!) tHen when you finish that go back to your afgan so if you get bored you are all set and won't get frustrated.
I think popcorns are fun myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missamorphosis
"The man who has no imagination has no wings."~ Muhammad Ali

Butterflies, Buttons, & Crochet--ah, life is good!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007 06:36:53 AM »

I'm thinking the next time TLCJ gets together *ahem* you should show us, er, them the blanket and get suggestions. You know that L is always full of interesting ideas.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shade Tree Crochet (crochet/craft blog)
Stitch-Stirrers - prompts and other fun things for the crocheter
spurtiic
Jennorific

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007 03:21:39 PM »

I'm thinking the next time TLCJ gets together *ahem* you should show us, er, them the blanket and get suggestions. You know that L is always full of interesting ideas.  Grin

ha ha Tracie I never see you on these boards!!  Get away from Ravelry and join the ranks of Craftster!!  I will show you Sunday when you come visit.  I believe I stashed it in my linen closet.  I have no ambition to take it on right now while I'm in this sewing mood and amigurumi obsession phase.  My other goal this weekend (along with an apron, coasters, a belt, draft blockers, and some toys) is to make a wreath for my Grandma for Christmas I can take to her on Thanksgiving Smiley   I have SO much crafting energy now! AHHH!   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missamorphosis
"The man who has no imagination has no wings."~ Muhammad Ali

Butterflies, Buttons, & Crochet--ah, life is good!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007 05:59:39 PM »

Heh. I may not post much, but I'm always lurking.

I have a lot of crafting ideas, too. On Martha Stewart yesterday, she made a wreath of moss; now I want to do one, along with the other fifteen-hundred things on my list...lol. Looking forward to Sunday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shade Tree Crochet (crochet/craft blog)
Stitch-Stirrers - prompts and other fun things for the crocheter
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vegetable Korma
How to Make Vegetable Fried Rice
How to Make Thai Drunken Noodles
How to Make Healthy Nigiri Sushi Recipe
How to Make Indian Dal
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...