A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm trying to be more Eco-Friendly  (Read 21533 times)
Tags for this thread: swiffer , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kbauer
Yarn Geek, Lover of Rainbows

I wear my heart on my sleeve.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 05, 2007 09:10:10 AM »

I have caught the eco-friendly bug!

Trying to feed a family of 4 on one income isn't easy. I try to find ways to cut corners and eliminate unnecessary expenses any chance I get. I used to be that girl who thrived on disposable items. Disposable Lysol Antibacterial Wipes, disposable Pledge Dusters (I'm sure a whole sleuth of trademarks need to be inserted, but oh well), and so on. I am a particularly big fan of the Swiffer. I never embraced the whole mop and bucket concept. I don't like getting on my hands and knees to scrub floors. I am what you might call "high maitenance" to an extent. So, the Swiffer was an awesome invention in my eyes. And the pads were disposable?! Less chance of me getting my hands dirty!

I am ashamed that I ever had that mind-set! I will admit that I didn't get completely hardcore eco-friendly and switch my little one to cloth diapers, but I did want to put forth an effort to love my planet more. So, after much searching and inspiration from a lot of you fellow Craftsters, I decided to create my own reusable Swiffer covers. I have only made one so far, but since I tend to mop my floor 2-3 a week (I have a crawler and a puppy...major damage control is needed!!), I will definitely be whipping up at least 3 more of these babies.

So, without further ado...here is my take on the reusable Swiffer cloth.

The process started out as so:

The materials:
size 6 needles
Peaches 'n Creme: White
Peaches 'n Creme: Peppermint
4 generic red buttons

The result:

And how I attached it:

I used the ballband dishcloth pattern (just google it, that's what I did), and binded off when it fit my Swiffer. It didn't extend the entire width of it, so I single crocheted around the entire piece and then added a row of double crochet on each end, to make it fit. Then I just single crocheted straps on each side, to use to attach it. I did 15 rows of 10 sc's for the straps that I sewed the buttons to. For the opposite straps, I did 12 rows of 10 sc's, and then a row of 10 dc's, and then another row of sc's. The space between the dc's was the perfect size for "button holes."

Sorry for such a long post. I'm just really excited!! Oh, and it works very well. I was going to post an "after mopping" shot, but I was too ashamed at how dirty it got. Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Completely rainbow obsessed SAHM to 3 & hoping to add #4 to our family this fall!

Have old jeans, pillowcases, or t-shirts? I'll take them! I'm also always looking for the sleeves to women's long sleeved shirts!

<3 I heart Rupert Grint! <3
italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007 09:15:28 AM »

That is an excellent idea! Those disposable ones are super-expensive. And this one's cute too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
zknits
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007 09:16:16 AM »

it's so pretty!  i can't believe you're going to clean the floor with it!  hahahaha
z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
IntrepidYarn
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007 09:22:36 AM »

What a great idea ! I'm trying to be more eco-friendly too, but only got so far as ripping old t-shirts to use as washcloths and planning to make reusable menstrual pads somehow...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k^2
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007 09:25:44 AM »

That's awesome! I'm totally inspired!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come on in, I'll put on a pot of bourbon.
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007 09:41:01 AM »

Really cool! I like the color combo and that brick stitch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
sammimag
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007 11:11:04 AM »

Those look great and good for you!

I've thought of using that same pattern to make my self some but I knit pretty slowly that I'm considering just a garter stitch one to use up leftover yarn.

My mop like that is much larger so I need to knit more too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jello
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007 01:11:03 PM »

Cute!  At least you'll be cleaning in style.

Also it is a totally good point, which I think a lot of people forget, that usually being eco-friendly is being wallet-friendly too Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kbauer
Yarn Geek, Lover of Rainbows

I wear my heart on my sleeve.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007 05:40:00 PM »

Thanks for the great comments everyone!

Also it is a totally good point, which I think a lot of people forget, that usually being eco-friendly is being wallet-friendly too Cheesy

Yes, being eco-friendly, for the most part, is definitely wallet-friendly. I'm also going to try out the vinegar & water cleanser that I've heard so much about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Completely rainbow obsessed SAHM to 3 & hoping to add #4 to our family this fall!

Have old jeans, pillowcases, or t-shirts? I'll take them! I'm also always looking for the sleeves to women's long sleeved shirts!

<3 I heart Rupert Grint! <3
zenobia
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007 07:27:19 PM »

what a great idea!!! I'm going to totally fashion one from crochet (don't know how to knit)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Keep Curly Hair Healthy
How to Use an Egg Wash on Your Scalp
How to Do a Rolled and Plaited Updo
How To Properly Clip In Hair Extentions
Styling Curly Hair: From Wet to Set
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...