A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! I want to make a circular quilt....  (Read 719 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spacecase71
« on: August 05, 2007 09:02:00 AM »

I bought a round crib for my coming arrival and I have had no luck at all finding a round bedding set that I like. I have thought of making one myself, but I am worried about making a circle-shaped quilt or coverlet. What is the best way to cut out a circle that large? Can anyone help?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
habitat-lady
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007 10:59:39 AM »

a circular crib - how cool is that!!

I use a large cutting board for circles, folding the fabric in eighth's.  You might want to find a pattern for a tree skirt, copy the shape  onto some news print and lay out your quilt pieces from there.

good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

http://www.wists.com/habitat-lady
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007 12:31:52 PM »

You might want to find a pattern for a tree skirt, copy the shape  onto some news print and lay out your quilt pieces from there.

good luck

That is brilliant! I never would have thought of that!

Kudos on the baby! -- wherever did you find a round crib?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
habitat-lady
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007 07:15:04 AM »

Pimpernel - You are too kind - Brilliant!  You are my new BFF.

Back to the Circle Quilt though, I have been thinking about the possibilities of circle quilts:
1.  sections with animals and a spiral trail into Noah's Ark in the center
2.  the Center with a moon and sun and different mother goose characters dancing around the edges
3.  and a zodiac quilt
4. a flower garden

And so many more.  I got my drawing devices out and am sketching and measuring.

You got me thinking about some unusual gift ideas  WOO HOO.  I love inspiration!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

IamSusie
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007 07:32:46 AM »

What is the best way to cut out a circle that large? Can anyone help?

Find out the radius of the circle you'll need.. measuring from the center to the edge.  Cut a string this length, or use a tape measure.

Fold your fabric into fourths or  pie-shaped 8ths.  Now use your radius string to draw the line from the center where all the folds meet, out to the edge. 

Cut, open and you'll have a circle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spacecase71
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007 05:16:23 PM »

Thanks for the ideas!

I first saw the round crib in a magazine and fell in love with it, though the one featured in the layout was very, very, "high end." I ended up buying mine at a slightly more accessible department store and I'm very happy with it. I kept telling myself it was foolish and impractical but I didn't care. So now here I am, having to make my own bedding set. But that will make it more special.  Smiley

Habitat-lady, I have to say I hadn't really thought about all the cool possibilities that you have. I was going to just do a plain coverlet, but now you have my imagination going! My theme for the room is Vintage Toys. I think there some interesting possibilities there!

Thanks again, everybody!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
habitat-lady
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007 05:39:05 PM »

Thanks to YOU!!! - your post just gave me the coolest ideas. 

As for the crib set - I see scalloped edge matching curtains with a toy on each scallop in the near future - lol. Just kidding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Earth Like Planet - Photoshop
How to Create an Ice Planet - Photoshop
How to Create a Solar System - Photoshop
How to Create a Pong Game Part 2/2- Scratch
How to Create an Abstract Design Element - Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...