A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,389
Currently Running With Scissors:
793 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to spin but I'm in Australia  (Read 1320 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bbeaded
« on: August 05, 2007 01:21:59 AM »

i am really starting to take an interest and it looks like a lot of fun. my problem is, that i live in australia. Craft in the land down under is just not big!!! Is ANYONE here from Australia? If so, where do you start?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Latest blog - www.oddsnblobs.blog spot.com

MY NEW ETSY STORE!! - www.oddsnblobs.etsy .com
Nienke

My horse is pimp.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007 08:30:22 AM »

I was actually first taught how to spin in Australia, on a farm in Tasmania. The lady there saw me knitting and decided I needed to learn to spin as well and taught me the basics.

When I lived in Melbourne there was a spinning guild a coulpe of blocks away from my house. I've got to admit I never went there though. I don't know where you live at the moment, but there's this list http://www.interweave.com/spin/resources/spinning_guilds/default.asp?country=AUSL of guilds alll over Australia. Maybe there's one closeby?

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zeeblebee
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007 02:17:20 AM »

I'm in Australia, what are you having trouble with exactly?

You start in Australia exactly the same way you start elsewhere; try building a CD spindle and some easier beginner fibre (I like virginafarmwoolwork s.com.au, but if you give your state or city we can give more recommendations), or else try and track down a wheel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BelovedGoddess
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007 09:45:56 PM »

Craft not big in Australia??  I don't think so.  I suppose it does depend on where you are too.

I started with a spindle bought from a medieval faire, but have since moved on to a spinning wheel bought on ebay.  My first lot of roving was bought on ebay.

Look up local spinning guilds in your area.

Virginia Farm is in Annangrove in the Hills district of Sydney. I've been going there for the last 2 weeks for lessons, have learnt so much.  They sell wool, wheels (also hire them out), accessories, dyes and weaving supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bbeaded
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007 02:55:37 AM »

I am in Adelaide... maybe i am looking in the wrong places.... I am in the city so the hills is quite a drive... I dont know where to start looking to get my supplies for spinning. I am going to have a go at making my spindle but i dont know where to get my roving...
I would love anyones help if anyone knows of any places in Adelaide....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BelovedGoddess
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007 04:55:08 AM »

I've done one search on suppliers but haven't come across anything closer than Victoria, http://www.craft-search.com.au/products_services/spinning_weaving

I'm sure the spinning guild in Adelaide could help you out with suppliers
http://www.geocities.com/spinweavesa/

Also look in Spotlight, they carry small packets of coloured wool much like roving that is used for felting, I used that before I found a supplier.  They are about $3 for a 10 gram pack, it does come in larger sizes too.  It spins well and I ended up with a ball that was over 12 metres.  Not bad to start with. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thegoodsheep
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007 04:05:17 PM »

Spinning in Australia is possible, I too was taught by Jenny at Virginia Farm. If you are after fiber they do mail order and are pretty much the best (and strange enough cheapest) I have found. Unfortunately I don't know anywhere in Adelaide.

I agree that craft is not as big here - probably as we have significantly less people. Also the warmer weather means less need  for warm knitted goodies. But there are some of us out there spinning, knitting and crafting away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMeshell
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007 06:51:29 PM »

I'm in Australia too Smiley Craft is big here in Perth! You've just got to know where to look.

I agree, contact your states spinners and weavers guild and they will tell you where they meet and about classes in your area if you wanted to learn from another person.

I get fibre from winterwoodtoys.com. au (mainly white merino, lovely!) and www.braesidealpacas .com.au. I mainly get things from Bilby Yarns here in Perth though, who don't ship out unfortunately, they are my spinning heaven and are where I got my wheel from and all my melanin wool and other bits and bobs.

I also order a lot of stuff on Etsy, tons of hand dyed fibre and all my drop spindles have been handmade ones from Etsy, postage isn't too bad at all if you have a dig around and find a good seller who posts internationally. Thatspinningplace on Etsy is an Aussie fibre seller too.

Hope that helps a tad! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bbeaded
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007 02:51:25 AM »

thank you sooooo much girls! you have supplied me with the ingo which i was looking for!! and wow! 10grams! over 2 meters! thats pretty good... i wasnt really sure how much it would take to get so many meters... i just had a loo and for $4.00 i can get 100gram on natural fibre from Breaside Alpacas... is that right?? how much do you think that would make...

wow i think it might be possible for me to have ago at this!!! it just looks like so much fun! and relaxing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bbeaded
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007 03:22:20 AM »

ok! i am really excited now... i found someone in ADELAIDE yes ADELAIDE who has a kit!!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140145643192&category=3121

do you think this is a good deal? i think it is but thought that i would ask the more experienced people here hehehe Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Styling Tips for an Oval Face
How to Style Thick and Wavy Hair to a Square Face
How to Style Coarse Hair for an Oval Face
How to Style Straight Hair for a Square Face
How to Style Fine Hair for a Square Face
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...