A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Answer is Blowin' in the WIND! *Now With Downloadable Iron-On Image!*  (Read 7812 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fairysari
)'( deep playa walker )'(

guinea piggin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 04, 2007 03:14:41 PM »

Hi there! This is my entry for the craft challenge:

I made the whole thing from recycled and thrifted materials (because of course, thrift stores keep treasures out of landfills). The printed and plain white fabric I found just as weird shaped ends hanging with all the sheets in one thrift store, and on another occasion, found a bag of webbing, and a bag of crazy 70's pom-pom trim. The only thing that isn't reused is the iron-on on the front, and the thread.

I had quite a few sources of inspiration, and I figure I'll explain the whole thing Cheesy

Well, I knew I had to enter this challenge, as we already shop at a grocery store where you have to bring your own bags, or pay 5 cents each for the plastic ones. So we bring our own bags of course, and we definitely need some more!

Immediately I knew I wanted to have something related to wind power on the front. My BF works in the wind power industry, so it is an issue that is personal to me. His work has sent him on several trips to visit wind farms and he always takes great pictures, so I decided to use one of his pictures for my tote bag. And after going through his bumper stickers and badges with windpower slogans, I thought they were all pretty cheesy. So I decided to use the lyric I did, kind of change its intended meaning a bit. I'm sure Bob Dylan would approve Wink.

So I took the photo, my slogan, and went off to work in photoshop. I'm no expert at it or anything, but I had a lot of fun tweaking the colours, making it look like the turbine and trees were glowing and stuff. I'm pretty happy with how the image turned out.

For the shape of the bag, I sort of based it on the PC 'Canada's Greenest Shopping Bag' which you can get for 99 cents at any grocery store that sells President's Choice brand stuff. Here's a link to a picture of one:

http://image.presidentschoice.ca/presidentschoice/PI186676038378454B.JPG?wid=239&cvt=jpeg

And I also wanted to include pockets like the ones on a tote bag that my friend brought back from Japan for me. They are awesome pockets, so I copied them!

This is me holding the pockets up out of the bag so you can see:

Theres lots of tucks and stuff, and I am *super* proud of how they turned out. In the process of pocket-making, you can see the pleats:

And the finished pockets:

The pockets in use:

Here's a few more shots from different angles - the back:

The inside, empty:

And the inside, full. Well, not totally full, it can still hold way more:

All the seams are reinforced three times so it doesn't break, and so it holds its structure better, like the PC bag. And the pom-pom trim is sewn in between the layers at the top, then tacked down on the outside so it doesn't get in the way of putting groceries and stuff inside.

I hope you all like my bag! I'd be happy to answer any questions about it too Smiley.

Edit to add:
OK, I got the image up, so that if anyone wants to use it as an iron-on, you can. Just make sure to flip it when you print it so that the words show up properly. Should be an option in printer settings for that I think...

So click that picture and it should take you to the post about this project on my blog, where you will be able to click on the same picture again (scroll down to the bottom), and it will get very very big, so you can use it too!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007 10:13:34 AM by fairysari » THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:Ravelry:.  .:Tumblr:.  .:Flickr:.
Mienna
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007 04:27:33 PM »

I love this! I might steal your picture/saying to put on my Dad's magazine bag, if you don't mind. He's ALL about wind energy, goodness don't get him started. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lydia the Strange
Supreme Enabler

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007 04:33:53 PM »

This is a great bag. I love that you photoshopped a wind turbine and bob D's song.... The pockets are fantabulous (my new word) and I think you hit the nail on the head with this bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007 04:54:08 PM »

*i really like the colors and concept of ur bag* *i was lookin @ TV the other day and the VP of Safeway spoke on how the company uses the wind conductors to power several offices across the states.  i am in CALI by the way* *just funny how i saw him talking about the conductors and u make an iron-on image of one*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
jmesdiylounge
That girl is crafty like ice is cold! ~Beastie Boys

Sew it up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007 01:38:52 PM »

The pockets and pom poms rock!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My shop Boatload of Craft is here!!
Boatload of Craft - My Shop/MySpace/Flickr
fairysari

guinea piggin'

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007 09:15:45 AM »

Thanks for the comments everyone Cheesy

The fabric wouldn't have been my first choice, but I was determined to use recycled/reused materials to increase the green factor of the bag, and I like how it turned out.

I'm glad you like the pom-poms too! BF was all "I'm not using a bag covered in pom-poms" but I like them, and I think they draw attention to the fact that it isn't a plastic bag.

Oh, and I can see if I can see if I can upload the image I used for the iron on so you can use it, its just on the other computer... *edit - done, added to first post*

And the bag made its debut this weekend, it came camping with me. It held my biggest warmest sweaters, and I am impressed at the amount I was able to cram into it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007 10:14:47 AM by fairysari » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mienna
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007 02:55:36 PM »

Thanks for the image!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairysari

guinea piggin'

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007 03:21:51 PM »

No problem! I'd love to see a picture of the finished product if you use it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bumbalina

Handbound Journals, etc.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007 01:38:59 PM »

thats really interesting that your grocery store charges for bags, i think thats a neat idea. whereabouts do you live/they do that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bumbalina: Hand-bound Journals

etsy.com/shop/bumbalina
dinostar
Fun Bunny

Stay Crafty!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007 05:09:17 PM »

This is great! I love the picture and of course, you re-used items. GO YOU!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cassandra Clare on Writing City of Lost Souls
Arthur Brooks on His Book the Road to Freedom
Francis Slakey on Fitness
The Life of Queen Lead-Singer, Freddie Mercury
A New Sense of Social Purpose
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...