A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blocking my KNitting  (Read 877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BREEZY
« on: January 22, 2004 03:43:50 PM »

What percentage of natural fiber does the yarn your working with have to be to be block-able?? I didn't know if it had to be 100% or if it just had to have some natural fiber in it. My knitting project kinda looks like it needs it but it only is like 35% wool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004 03:53:30 PM »

It doesn't have to be natural at all.
The type of fiber does determine the kind of blocking you should do, though.  there's a section in Stitch 'n Bitch about it, but if you want to be super safe, I'd do the "pin it down in the shape you want, and hold a steam iron just above it" method.  I used it on a scarf that had 2 yarns - one of which was all synthetic and the other was like yours about 35% wool and the rest synthetic.
It worked like a dream Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittykat
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004 09:35:51 AM »

I have blocked 100% acrylic and it was fine.  The only thing is you may have to do it periodically rather than just once.  Like, if your scarf is curling you can block it and it will hang straight, but may begin curling again as time goes on, just block it again.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
BREEZY
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004 07:50:12 AM »

OK, thanks, that makes sense. I was underneath the impression that it had to be all natural! This solves a lot of problems!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizzz

I aint not no llama....I'm scary!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004 05:24:23 PM »

I have a wonderful book Knitting in Plain English and the author does not recommend blocking with an iron because the outcome is really unpredictable and its easy to ruin the project.  She suggests getting the right gauge and then washing you sweater.  You should wash your sweater anyway, to get the dirt and oils off it because if you block it dirty the heat sets in the dirt.  Just hand wash it and then when it's wet shape it to how you want it and let it dry.

I haven't really blocked anything ( I blocked some hats but I really didnt know why I was doing it, the pattern told me so so I did and I didn't do any heavy blocking....just set in the endges so they wouldnt curl) before but I'm going to start on my first sweater soon and will tell you how this method works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Reusable Templates in Photoshop
How to ‘Photoshop’ Yourself Into an Image
The Camera Raw "Do-Over" Button in Photoshop
How to Draw Pink Panther
How to Draw Pidgey
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...