A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: manly hat (now with manly sweater!)  (Read 2779 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« on: December 03, 2004 01:59:52 AM »

i finally made a hat that my husband will wear - my first attempt ended up looking  part tam/part floppy/and completely not him (even with his devotion to bob marley).
it is from a pattern from a rowan big print book and gorgeous soft bulky wool i got on sale a while ago...

ok, i finally just decided to post pictures of the sweater i made for my husband, but with me wearing it...
it is a top-down raglan that was so easy to make - i used this beautiful yarn called ecological wool from peru...(the same wool i used to make a poncho for me - we don't wear them at the same time  Wink)
here is a link that has the pattern leaflet http://www.paradisefibers.com/patterns/norling.asp
the pattern i used was #60...

here is the top:

and here is the bottom:

this is the first time i've put it on...and i will say it is soo cozy!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004 11:21:24 PM by elisha » THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004 06:10:22 AM »

that is a very nice guy hat.  i feel your pain, having knitted many a hat for my boy he didn't like.  i especially like the colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gertie_T
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004 11:10:46 AM »

Great colors! It really looks nice on him too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004 03:25:53 PM »

Really nice, I like the color too. I find color is the biggest issue when knitting hats for my boyfriend. It can't be "too bright" or "too dull" so I have to find something in between. Although lately he's asked for a "dill-pickle" colored hat which I'm working on. I will post it (and all my other things..I'm so lazy and not technology-savy) when I get some assistance   Smiley Anyway, sorry for blabbering, great job!
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimbabwe
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004 04:12:56 PM »

Indeed! It looks great on him! Be sure to let him know all the positive comments you've gotten on it so he's sure to wear it every time he leaves the house (hopefully he does already!). Very nice, simple pattern, and subtlely stylish... Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004 11:46:17 PM »

thanks, guys (girls)!
i realized looking at the picture that it looks a little pointy-er than it actually is. also the colors are really 2 shades of chocolate (the top is milk and the bottom bittersweet...kinda like marriage...)
anyway, the good news is he still loves it. (and the better news is he hasn't lost it, yet - not like the scarf that took me forever to make and after a coupla weeks was gone   Embarrassed)
and tere, dill-pickle colored sounds great - please post upon completion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
Tere
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004 08:20:39 AM »

Elisha,
I finished the dill-pickle hat and was disapointed  Undecided I have such a hard time with seams (i.e. mattress stich) and it just ruined the hat. I am thinking of taking it to a LYS and asking for help. Every time, the same thing happens...the seam is so NOT invisible, grr. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, which makes it even more frustrating. So hopefully the dill pickle hat will be worthy of posting at some point!
Tere  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004 01:14:10 PM »

i'm totally with you on the frustration with mattress stitch.  lately, all of my projects have been in the round to avoid this nasty little problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gertie_T
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004 08:34:59 PM »

Tere, I have to say, I didn't really get mattress stitch until I took a class at my LYS on finishing techniques. It really helped to have someone show it to me--it's not one of those things that you can learn easily from a book.

I definitely think you should take your "dill-pickle hat" (love that name!) to your LYS and ask the nice lady there to show you mattress stitch. It might make all the difference in the world!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004 10:52:18 PM »

ditto the above, and if you can get your man to actually *look* at the camera...well, hats off to you...ok, i know, not so funny  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Cameras in Motion 3 Part 2/3
How to Use Cameras in Motion 3 Part 3/3
How to Create a Desktop Puzzle - Shake 4.1
How to Create Transitions - DVD Studio Pro
How to Key Frame Mood Changes - Apple Color
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...