A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Monster Slippers from SNBN  (Read 14544 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chee
« on: December 02, 2004 11:11:34 PM »

Has anyone tried these?  My husband saw them in the book and went crazy saying he needed a pair.  I played it off that they were too complex and I couldn't knit them- knowing that it would be fun to knit them on the sly and then surprise him for Christmas. 

However, it's not going to smoothly. 

My LYS didn't have the bulky, so I went with the worsted weight.  Did a swatch to get some idea of gauge.  Came across a problem- the pattern is only for a women's meduim, which my husband is not.  So, decided that the best thing to do would be to add an inch to the width and then increase the length by 4 inches total. 

But, wow... I seem to be knitting something HUGE.  Not super wide but really really long.  This is my first felting project, so maybe I am over-reacting.  But, still! 

Anyway, I have been lurking here for a few weeks and finally have a reason to post something.  Hopefully someone out there has attempted these and can give me some pointers!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zoe84
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004 03:50:30 AM »

As soon as I saw these, I knew I had to have them.  I'm also concerned about the sizing, though.  I wear a US women's 11, so that's definitely not a medium.  I was going to do a gauge swatch, measure the hell out of it, then felt it.  I'll then do some calculations to modify the pattern so it'll fit.  Unfortunately, I ordered my yarn before I saw the sizing (bopeep's 40% off sale!), so I'll probably have to go to my LYS for more once I get started.  Hopefully the fun fur will cover up any color variants if it's a different dye lot. 

Good luck on your pair!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004 06:22:39 AM »

I hope you felted your worsted weight swatch to make sure it has a similar shrink percentage before you got started.  Sometimes there is a difference.

When you knit something to felt it, it's going to seem WAYYY too long because knitting shrinks more on the vertical than the horizontal.

So assuming you felted a swatch to make sure it behaved as you desired, you should be good to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
debacle
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004 06:44:04 AM »

hey - be sure to check my website - www.knithappens.com -- for some corrections to these slippers. Also, you know you are knitting the sole double -- after you've knit 14" (i seem to remember -d on't have book handy at the moment), you do a turning row, and then you knit, basically, another 14" and fold the thing in half, and pick up stitches all around through both layers to connect them. So yeah, if you're knitting something that's almost 28" long you're right; it's super long. but it will get folded in half.

Let me know how the mouth part goes, and please email me with any questions on this particular project: debbie@bust.com. I'll be happy to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suki
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004 11:57:40 AM »

Those are next on my ginormous list of things to knit.  Make sure you let us know how they are coming along!  In my experience lamb's pride can shrink up quite a bit, so I wouldn't worry about them coming out huge.  I would keep taking them out of the washing machine and measuring them every so often.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004 12:18:50 PM »

I thought they were cut but immediately dismissed them as too tough for me.  Please post a picutre.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crumpet
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004 03:47:10 PM »

Mr Crumpet desperately wants these as well -- I even caught him this morning carrying my book around the house looking at the picture!  He's a size 13 US, so also has enormous feet -- I'm glad this thread is here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chee
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004 08:23:01 PM »

Thanks everyone! 

Yep, I did a swatch and measured it pre and post felt, so I think I am on the right track.  But, it just seemed so looooong.  Thanks Debbie for pointing out the doubling part and the instructions change part.  If I get stuck again I will definitely send you my questions! 

I promise pics as soon as I get finished (which may take a bit, as I have a few other projects going too).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazydoglady

I'm dating... and it comes with snacks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004 10:03:19 AM »

These slippers were the project that told me I HAD to get this book NOW. I made them as a break from Christmas projects, and I LOVE THEM. So warm and fuzzy and cute! And I already have orders for at least two other pairs (from people who tried to steal these originals).

Details: I used Araucania Nature Wool (from A.C. Moore) and fun fur, both in purple. I loved this wool - bulky, easy to work with and cheap!

Yes, they were ginormously large to begin with , but they felted fine. 15 minutes in the washing machine and they were done. They are about 11" long and 4.5" wide. I wear a size 6 shoe, and I love that they cover the entire top of my feet, with wiggle room. I have a thing for big slippers  Wink I haven't put anything on the bottoms, because I think slippers this big and fluffy should be shuffle slippers, so the less grip the better.  Grin

I hate picking up stitches, so I'm thinking next time I may do the soles in double knit (and maybe add some fun stripes or words while I'm at it?) and just do the sole all at once.  I did the non-monster version because I was intimidated by wrap and turn, but I may try them next time. Also, I think I may try a different fun fur and wool colors, because it gives it a neat textured look.

Can you tell I'm pumped about this project? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004 10:07:52 AM »

I don't suppose you'd be wiling to tell me exactly where you live, so I can be the third person to try and steal your fabulous slippers?  The third time is a charm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Almond-Orange Shortbread Cookies
Apple Crisp Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
Easy Pear Tart Recipe
Caramel Bread Pudding Recipe
How to Make Instagram-Themed Cupcakes
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...