A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,529
Currently Running With Scissors:
320 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My cool & simple wacky nails  (Read 2253 times)
Tags for this thread: nail_polish  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kwchick
« on: August 03, 2007 01:54:51 PM »

I used to do this at LEAST once a week when I was in highschool . . . the only design I would leave on my nails for more than a day b/c I liked to do my nails every single day . . now, with a baby, I am lucky if I can clear coat my nails once a week - here is a recent pic when I finally got the chance to do them like that again - i see I had lost some creativity over the months!

And this was the paint job for my wedding day . . . I was gettign sick of seeing regular french tips on all the brides!

Anti-french tip-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't sell my stuff, but become a fan on Facebook!
Shylock_Designs
Chel02
Kakusei Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007 02:01:39 PM »

that is soooo cool!

can you do a tutorial on how you did the British flag nail? its awesome and since I'm British it would be soo cool to do that for when my relatives visit:)

very cool though Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Store!

www.kakusei-designs.co.nr

(opening sooon!)
kwchick
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007 06:36:21 PM »

yay! I'm glad someone thinks they're cool! U know, I always do the british flag on there (I am canadian) accidently, though I do it every time! I really had just wanted to make a star, but i always end up using some shade of red and blue . . . it Does look cool like that though!

I would have to wait until I get home to do a pic tutorial, which won't be for another week . . . so I'll try to explain. It really is REALLY simple though -

You will need: Various colours of nail polish
                    top coat, or it just doesn't look right
                    Tape - - preferably a kind that's not super strong or anything.

Paint your nails a base neutral colour (or, just leave em natural! But I always use a base of white.) Try to let it dry for a whole day, otherwise it will not work so well - the tape will stick too much and rip your base off when you peel it off.

You can see from my pics how thick/thin the white strips are? Start by cutting pieces of tape, LOT of pieces, like, 30/40, more if you want to do your toenails to match, about that thick, so you won't have to cut tape later on with partially wet nails.

Lay tape on the pieces you want to stay white on your nails (you know, like egg dyeing!) in any sort of pattern you want!
And here is where the TYPE of tape you pick comes in - - - if you use clear tape, you are pretty much limited to one colour because you will not be able to see the seperate pices very well. If you use a low tack masking tape, you'll be able to see the edges of all your designs and paint each section of each nail a different colour.

So, PAINT AWAY!!
For the british flag - - - put two strips of tape in a cross, and then another two pieces as an "X" over that, and then just be careful to paint each little section without painting into the next. But It's fine to get paint on the tape!

I usually put all the tape on my nails first, then paint . . . by the time I am done, I start taking off the tape . . . be careful if you are using a cross over pattern that you take off the tape in the opposite way you put the pieces on, or your whole design might rip off!

And finally . . . clear coat is a must . .  it seems to flatten the slightly raised edges from where the tape was ripped off

Hope you have fun with this!! The possilities are absolutely endless! Different colours base coats . . . one design all different colours, all different designs one colour . . .
I will post pics later if anything is unclear. I am HORRIBLE at explaining things!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shylock_Designs
Chel02
Kakusei Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007 03:22:15 PM »

that was great! it was pretty good explaining actually. i too am canadian but all my relatives live in england and are visiting soon so i thought it would be cool to do that and my dad would be mazed at it Smiley thanks for the help Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Store!

www.kakusei-designs.co.nr

(opening sooon!)
kwchick
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007 09:15:38 AM »

Your welcome! Makemsure you post a pic after so I can see what it looks like all done in the flag like that
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shylock_Designs
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Weekend Summer Makeup Tutorial
3 Minute Summer Makeup Tutorial
Favorite Summer Lipsticks
Favorite Lip Colors and Bronzers for Summer
French Riviera Summer Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...