A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,439
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 8/3/2007  (Read 3356 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

when I'm dreaming...

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2007 08:23:44 PM »

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit but I couldn't wait till tomorrow b/c IT FINALLY CLICKED!!! It took me awhile but you guys were right it just finally clicked and I could spin on my new wheel Smiley I am in love with my little Kiwi and must buy the fast flyer as I nearly broke the poor thing treadling like a madperson(j/k kinda)!! so w/o further ado... here are the goods!

My 1st yarn: about 120 yds of worsted to bulky weight mill end single.... I just used some of the smaller more homely bits of mill ends i had as i still was definitely in practice mode, but it started to click by the end

My second skein of the week is 2 ply, 100 yds mostly worsted weight from Mill Ends I dyed with Wiltons (some bulky and DK weight but getting more even the more i spin Smiley )

Lastly  2 ply 270 yds of (mostly) Fingering/Lace weight Mill Ends dyed with Wiltons

And a group shot... mmm looks tasty its a fibery feast

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010 08:30:34 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

This summer I am biking across America to raise money for Habitat for Humanity!! Check out my site to see how you can help the affordable housing cause!
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007 10:01:47 PM »

Oooh, love the colors on the third skein...

I'm a little excited...on Monday, I spun my first bit of yarn!  It's wonky and weird and done with a little handful of definitely-not-my-sort-of-color roving from a felted beads kit, but I made it!

I've been waiting all week to participate in my first ever Fiber Friday Grin
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007 10:02:15 PM by aliastriona_angerboda » THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007 01:13:49 AM »

I spun 500 gr of that:
and continue. I am thinking day and night about what to do with.  I have already tons of knitted and crocheted clothes
And another one:
And new one of the dog fluff:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011 01:45:51 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't let the man get you down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007 03:11:13 AM »

Niftyknitter: (applause) You're doing GREAT! I'm kind of a newbie still myself, and I know how exciting it is when it finally clicks. I love that second one. Keep up the great work!

Aliastriona: (applause again) That's great for a first try! I don't know what's happened to me lately, but I've been liking pink...I used to hate it!

Lado: I llooovve that first one. Drooool.

Here's my contribution for the week. I haven't set the twist yet. It's my first time using tussah silk. The pics make it look more brown, but it's actually more gray and blue, and the brown spots sort of blend to this purply color. I've been listening to a lot of Billie Holiday lately, and have dubbed this yarn 'Stormy Weather'.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007 03:12:01 AM by ChemicalEmily » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I look forward to continued immaturity followed by death."
- Dave Barry
My blog: http://unspunemily.livejournal.com
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007 04:56:21 AM »

Oooh, I love Stormy Weather! Both the colors and the song. Wink

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007 05:36:05 AM »

I've only got one done this week.. and this one took forever for me to do.. mainly because I was still annoyed at the colors of the roving (I ordered from Spunky Eclectic and it was supposed to be bright blue/green and it came and was bright green/white/weird purple.. >< )

Anyways... 135 yds  12 wpi  100% wool

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007 05:37:01 AM by Kazkitty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007 06:23:07 AM »

Everything is so awesome here.  I love Stormy Weather, GloStick, the green one from Lado and the pink from Nifty.

And WTG on the first spun alias, it looks awesome!!

Here is my one lonely little contribution this week.

Crayons in the Snow--it is 85% superwash merino 15% sari silk, 230 yards, 2-ply, 12-14 wpi.  I think it came out nicely and looks pretty cool.  Wink

I just got a ton of new rovings from HollyEQQ, including 2 bamboos, so I need to get cracking.  LOL!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007 06:24:53 AM by mandalinn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

***I would love to do personal swaps, PM me if interested!***

My Blog:  Mandalinn Knits 'n Spins
My Etsy Shop!!

Don't let the man get you down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007 07:50:03 AM »

Oh I love Crayons in the Snow!! I swear, soon I am going to try my hand at sari silk...

"I look forward to continued immaturity followed by death."
- Dave Barry
My blog: http://unspunemily.livejournal.com
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007 08:07:51 AM »

I haven't posted in a fiber friday in weeks!  I finaly got my computer back up and running, so here is what I was working on for the end of the tour

Tulips - BFL laceweight, 1300 yards from 8 oz

Mermaids - 60/40 blend of wool and bamboo, not sure of yardage yet

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007 08:36:53 AM »

Hello everyone! It's probably been over two months since I've posted here - I moved to a whole new country and it took a lot longer than I'd thought to get back to normal. I haven't even spun anything yet (I finally put my wheel back together last week) but I do have a few yarns from before I moved - these were packed pretty much straight off the bobbin. One of them had to be packed before I even got a chance to set the twist!

(Sorry, these aren't my best pictures ever. I'm still trying to find the best picture spot in the new house.)

Tangerine - merino, very bulky, 50 grams / 96 meters. This was some scrap chunks that I blended on my handcarders to try them out when I first got them, but I ended up really liking the result!

Wicked Witch Of The West - merino/silk and clumps of black angelina, plied with black and neon green sewing thread. Bulky, 100 grams / 277 meters.

Sheena - handcarded merino and hot pink angelina (from my first proper rolags!), navajo plied. Bulky, 110 grams / 193 meters.

I think I'm stuck in a rut with bulky yarns - my project for this week will be to aim for a sock weight, wish me luck. Smiley

I'm so excited to be able to have Fiber Friday fun again - I missed this! The yarns this week are stunning as always. I've been drooling over Crayons In The Snow (great name!) and Mermaids, they're absolutely delicious. And niftyknitter - I had the same feeling when me and my wheel finally clicked. I wanted to jump up and down all over the house, but my family really didn't get it. Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birthday Craft Ideas for Children
How to Create a Summer Camp Survival Kit
How to Make a Travel Scrapbook
How to Frame a Baby Hand Tracing
How to Make a Homemade Felt Board
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...