A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,911
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: any books out there?  (Read 1046 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krys
« on: August 02, 2007 05:14:52 PM »

Are there any books out there that would teach me how to crochet?  That are easy to understand and explains everything well?  I want to learn how to crochet.  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peas & love,
Krys
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007 05:16:21 PM »

I don't know of any books, but this is a really good website for learning.  It has really detailed videos of most of the stitches you need to know.

http://www.nexstitch.com/v_crochet_videos.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007 05:19:15 PM »

Second nexstitch.com by Amie.

A good book would be the Stitch n B*tch book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Infinite Annie
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007 06:56:22 PM »

American School of Needlework, a publishing company, has a good low cost, ($3.50 in the States), leaflet that's 10 pages long and has good illustrations and a few patterns to practice your skills.  It's called, 'First Steps in Crochet'.

It also has another one for double that cost that's 22 pages long called 'Learn to Crochet in Just One Day' that has good illustrations, and a few more projects to hone the skills it teaches.

I think either one is a good way to get your feet wet and see if it's for you.

A book called the 'Happy Hooker' has good written instructions.  I just learned to double triple and double crochet decrease from it the other day!  But it's a honkin', pricey number filled with a bunch of patterns that I'm not sure I'd want to make, but I know that a lot of other folks have enjoyed making them, so you might want to check that out.

Anyway, let us know what you pick and how it works for you and good-luck!  Crocheting is loads of fun and has gobs of creative potential. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hotbettie
I solemly swear I am up to no good.

Slytherin by choice, Griffindor at heart.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007 01:23:06 AM »

Stitch & Bitch worked well for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gnathalie2
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007 07:08:42 AM »

Most, if not all, books have crochet instructions in them somewhere. At Michaels I bought a book (don't remember the name) that had a purple cover, and Encyclopedia of Stitches on it.  It has left hand instructions on one side, and right handed instructions on the right side.  But really, the best thing for crochet is just to do it.
Nathalie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

make today a positive one!
www.gnathalie2.wordpress.com
Naff Productions
Make things so far out they're in!

You look marvelous

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007 09:47:44 AM »

Also, try the CrochetMe.com web site and Kim Werker's book "Teach Yourself Visually: Crochet"

There's lots of good instructions out there.  Find the ones that make sense to you, make lots of swatches, and practice the various stitches.  It's fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naff1 (nf)  adj. Chiefly British Slang.
Unstylish, clichd, or outmoded.

naff2 (nf)  intr.v. Chiefly British Slang. naffed, naffing, naffs
To fool around or go about: naffing about in a tutu (Suzanne Lowry).
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007 11:42:57 AM »

I used Crochet Your Way.  There are a lot of instructions on different stitches, as well as instructions on an afghan made up of squares of different stitches.  I haven't tried any of the clothing patterns, but the book is a good reference for primer instructions and for designing your own items.  However, it doesn't include granny squares or any variation on them, which makes up a lot of a crocheter's vocabulary.  Still, a good tool to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyvalentine
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007 02:33:48 PM »

I used 'crocheting for dummies' by Karen Manthey to learn how to crochet (its an appropriate title for me too! Cheesy).  I basically worked through the book from start to finish - I found it explained all the terms that other books just assumed you already knew.  It was a really clear book and I haven't come across a stitch yet that it didn't show how to do.  Its great for reference too when you get stuck!
I've leant it to quite a few people at work who have also now caught the crochet bug - they also said they found it really clear and easy to read.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scubagirl
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007 08:32:30 AM »

Go to you library and pick up some crochet books there, that way you haven't spent anything and can try them out at you leasure.

I learned how to crochet with Debbie Stoller's "The Happy Hooker" "The Art of Knitting And Crochet 2" DVD. and "Crochet Made Easy" an intereactice CD-Rom from Coats and Clark which costs about $6.  Also do a "Google" search and you'll find multiple sites online with mini videos on each of the techniques
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If You're Lucky Enough To Live in the Florida Keys, You're Lucky Enough.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Indian Ghee Recipe
Indian Seasoned Dal Recipe
Indian Dal Recipe
Indian Paneer Recipe
How to Make Sushi Soy Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...