A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Re-vamped computer paper (TUTE ADDED!)  (Read 9049 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ryvkah
Goddess Divine

RAWR!

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2007 12:41:02 PM »

Hi!  So, i'm a huge fan of mail, i.e. letters, snail mail, post, whatever, etc. And, since i have absolutely ATROTIOUS handwriting most of my letters end up being type-written.  The problem, of course, is that plain old vanilla computer paper is EXTREMELY boring, and magically delicious pretty paper is majorly expensive!  The solution?  To dye my own paper with chalk dust!  I'm sure there must be a post on here already with regard to how to do this, but I learned how in 5th grade and have been loving it ever since.  So, here are my most recent results:

Instructions!~

Ok, i'm not in a photo-taking mood, so you'll need to use your imagination with this tute!

1. Grab some computer paper, a butter knife, some chalk (artist's chalk, not sidewalk chalk), and a shallow pan (I use my pyrex 13X9 cake pan).

2. Fill the pan 1/2 of the way full with water.

3. Choose a piece of chalk and, holding it over the pan, scrape some dust off with the cutting side of the knife.  I tried doing this with a plastic palette knife, and the sound was like nails on a chalkboard!  Stick to metal, and stick to butter knives.

4. The water should be tinted with color, but you dont want piles or clumps of dust hanging out on the waters surface.  Youll have to play around with your different colors of chalk and see how much you really need of each color, but a little definitely goes a long way.  Certain colors will clump up every time, I noticed this mostly with purple and black, not sure why.  Also, youll notice that some colors repel other colors which can be very cool or very annoying, depending on what you were going for.  Some colors are hard to see once theyve made contact with the water (so photos would be useless anyway) but youll notice when you put the paper down that they suddenly show up brilliantly!

4 . If you dont like the way the chalk is sitting on the water you can blow it gently or cut swirls in it with your knife.  However, this can cause clumpage and should be done with care.  Once you get the feel of how your particular chalk behaves youll understand more what I mean by this.

5. Take the paper and hold it at both ends with a little slack so it bows in the middle.  Lay it on the waters surface this way so that there is no air trapped between the paper and the water.
Like this!:

6.  At this point, you have two options: 
(1)You can push the paper through the waters surface all the way to the bottom of the pan.  This will ensure that the entire front of the paper has been coated with chalk, and you might get a slight design on the back as well.  OR,
(2) you can lift the paper off of the waters surface, keeping the back of the paper, and your hands, mostly dry.

7. Depending on how much chalk you used last time, you can dip another piece of paper in without adding more chalk and get a pale design, or you can scrape more chalk in and repeat from step four.  Dont worry if your water isnt so clear anymore, its the chalk suspended on the surface, not the dissolved chalk, that will color your paper.  Of course, if the water gets murky you probably should change it out.

8. To finish up, I put my pages on my deck outside in the sun, weighted down with pebbles, You can also just line a table with newspaper and lay them out to dry that way.  While theyre still wet I mist them with Hairspray (this can be done once theyre dry too, but they might get sticky).  This fixes the chalk in place so that any small clumps you may have wont smudge.  After theyre dry I iron them out (overkill, I know) so that my printer can handle them easily.  (Hairspray on the front, iron from the back with something protective between the ironing surface and the paper, just to be safe)

p.s. if you're a highroller you could buy pro chalk fixative, but I swear by my Suave Extreme Hold.
And Voila!  Let me know if I forgot anything!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007 01:32:35 PM by Ryvkah - Reason: Tutorial » THIS ROCKS   Logged
punk_flamingo
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007 12:47:13 PM »

wow! that's pretty cool. Yeah- if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to know how to do this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's go to Canada!
Sprocket

Inspiration is everywhere!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007 12:52:34 PM »

So cool....I just happen to have an entire box of old school tractor feed computer paper here that is screeming to be revamped.  Now I know what to do with it, thanks to you =)

-Sprocket
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neverseenblue
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007 01:05:47 PM »

that looks awesome - I'd be interested in instructions too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

instantk4rma

Junior mycologists have questionable morels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007 01:13:41 PM »

I'd definitely like a tutorial as well Smiley That looks really nifty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenna rose
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007 01:22:23 PM »

Shocked how awesome!  for the love of everything crafty, please post a tute!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007 01:37:56 PM »

a tute would be fabulous! then i can have pretty and cheap paper to write on when i send out my swap stuff! cuz thats really the only time i write letters...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Red Fumes
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007 02:28:07 PM »

Thank-you for the tute! It's so cheap and simple, I'm going to try it out Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ryvkah
Goddess Divine

RAWR!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007 05:52:59 PM »

You're welcome!  It's my pleasure.  Thanks for all the sweet feedback.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007 08:19:16 PM »

Is it OK to put the paper in the printer after it's been dyed?  I wouldn't think chalk dust would be too good for the gears.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pick a Good Curling Iron or Flat Iron
How to Create a Fancy Side Pony Tail
How to Create a Soft French Roll-Up Do
How to Create an Elegant Band Look for Curly Hair
How to Make a High Pony Tail for Curly Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...