A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thrifted furniture THING needs reworking...ideas???  (Read 1824 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

happify
« on: December 02, 2004 04:25:53 PM »

I found this at the thrift store two days ago and picked it up for $3 with the intention of redoing the top of it in a bottle cap mosaic (or at least, I was at the thrift store looking for a table to do that with and this is what came home with me).  But I'm not sure what it was, is, or will be.  Help!

What is your honest opinion of the structural qualities of this piece?  Style?  Period?  Original use?  How would you rework it? 

It's to be for my little brother for Christmas.  He worked (and drank) in Germany over the summer and gave me his bottle caps to use in a table a la craftster.  Is this the table? 

My thoughts were to add casters to the bottom (as it's real wood and quite hefty), and perhaps paint it and antique it in shades of grey, with old metal handles.  Sort of "Metropolis" inspired.  Treat it like a college-boy's very classy moveable bar.  But the vision is blurry -- what do you see!?!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenfish
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004 04:42:08 PM »

Now that's interesting.. hmm.. it could be.. [well, heres what popped into my head] : A family tree table.. on the side do the tree, on the top decomp. a bunch of random fun photos.. Hmm.. Make it a bar table..the shelves.. wine and beer storange, the top, make it the service area. Decomp. some beer lables, the top surface.. bottle caps.. and presto! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenfish
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004 04:44:13 PM »

..The side shelves could also hold your glasses.. it looks funky in my head!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofucheesecake
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004 04:45:28 PM »

It looks...sort of Art Deco to me but not really at the same time.  Antiquing might look awesome, kind of like an anachronism since it isn't really antiquely structured.  Definately change the handles...I'm not digging those.  I'm not sure if there is any way to cover up the screw holes, but round pulls might look neat to contrast with all the angles in the piece.  Moveable bar sounds rad...that would be so neat if you could find some way to light it up underneath the flat top parts...oooh, so cool!  Like a hip nightclub.

I don't know if this is the piece for the bottlecaps.  It seems like that would take away from the visually interestingness and smooth lines of the furniture.  I would put bottle caps on something plainter, to jazz it up.  Er...that's all I can think of.  Awesome find - particularly for $3!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigo flower girl
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004 04:51:12 PM »

What IS that? I LOVE it! lol! I can't really see the mini-bar thing happening right now [except for the part about changing out the handles] but it could work... and I will keep thinking!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
pvwon

"Que me amat, amet et canem meum." -Saint Bernard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004 09:28:31 AM »

I dig the bar idea!  Are those lower shelves wooden?  If the are you could cut slats in them to hang glasses from, if they would fit.  Very nice find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well behaved women rarely make history.
starlagurl
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004 10:36:22 AM »

I would definitely make it black and white...the drawers white and the rest black and then put the bottlecaps on the top if you really want to still
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004 10:58:11 AM »

I'm really digging your Metropolis-inspired moveable bar idea!!!
You could make the 2 bottom drawers into a cabinet for bottles! And I like the idea of the lower shelves as a glass rack. I want one:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
greenfish
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004 05:06:32 PM »

Go Alcohol! Wink Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004 05:35:22 PM »

Huh.  What does that label say?

It looks cool, but sort of like 1950's industrial, bauhaus inspired.  That black label with light lettering looks like a manufacturer's tag, which only appeared so prominently on furniture for industrial use, never on furniture for the home.  I'm guessing that slot in front between the top and the drawers probably held (or holds) a slide-out table-top thing.  I would guess it was in some sort of instutution, a school or hospital, etc., or maybe a shop of some sort, and probably held tools.  By tools, I could mean anything from art supplies to hammers.  It's old, but not terribly, and judging from the wear, it probably saw some significant use.  It's design and the fact its all wood indicates 50's or early 60's at the latest, but likely the "atomic" era.

I think a new paint job and some new drawer pulls would be cool, but I too would steer clear of the bottlecap mosaic.  And personally, I wouldn't start cutting it up.  It's too cool the way it is.  But it still could be used to good effect as a movable bar.  You haven't said if your brother is of that age yet, so I might also recommend it as some kind of artist's station.  Include drawer organizers and maybe some supplies for whatever art or craft he's into.  It's got a great work surface and good storage.  You might also consider buying a stool of the appropriate height so it could be sat at comfortably.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Hong Yi Explains Her Flower Portraits
Embellished Totes For Earth Day
Repurposing Cans Into Ribbon Covered Vases
How to Make Recycled Bows
Creating Hanging Votive Candles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...