A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,749
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butter-Making it and Shaping it  (Read 835 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2004 02:56:08 PM »

In science class, we made butter as part of an experiment. Making the butter reminded me of how when you go to fancy resturants, the serve you little dishes of butter shaped as flowers, shells, etc. I went home, melted some butter in a dish, poured it into my mom's chocolate molds, and froze it for about ten minutes. When I tried to pop the butter out of the molds, they came out in pieces. As I type this, I have a new batch in the freezer. I plan on leaving them in longer. Has anyone tried this/have any suggestions? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004 03:20:50 PM »

Try softening it, and then packing it ito the mold.  You soften by letting it come to room temp, or by creaming it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwormbry

Dressing the world, one dog at a time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004 03:37:24 PM »

When you melt it and let it reform, butter gets really hard and does funky things - different than if you packed it in the mold soft after you made it. I'd say cream it/ let it sit and then pack it in the mold instead of melting it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004 04:10:30 PM »

Softening it is the way to go.  When you melt butter the milk solids tend to separate from the butter fat and you can't get good results for what you are trying to do.  You can also use hard, cold butter and a vegetable peeler and peel off long rings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004 04:23:51 PM »

you don't need to freeze it, just put it in the fridge.  Have you tried making butter from heavy cream (or whipping cream)?  I make organic butter this way, it's cheaper than buying the ready made kind.  You can customize it with herbs, lemon or orange zest, or even vanilla or almond flavor or alcohol.  If you want to keep it for a long time (more than a few days) you need to salt it too.   Rosemary is my favorite!
Oh, to make butter from cream, just whip it for longer than you would for whip cream, it will turn yellow and chunky.  Then add your embellishments and push into molds.
herb butters are also made by making a butter 'log' shape and rolling it in crushed herbs.  chill this again and then slice.
if you don't already, think about using organic dairy...  pesticides and toxins are stored in fat (i.e. most dairy), the animals are treated better, and you are supporting a healthier ecosystem wherever your food (and the cows's food) is grown. 
butter is a great nourishing food when pure and used in small amounts, so enjoy it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004 05:29:31 PM »

you don't need to freeze it, just put it in the fridge.  Have you tried making butter from heavy cream (or whipping cream)?  I make organic butter this way, it's cheaper than buying the ready made kind.  You can customize it with herbs, lemon or orange zest, or even vanilla or almond flavor or alcohol.  If you want to keep it for a long time (more than a few days) you need to salt it too.   Rosemary is my favorite!
Oh, to make butter from cream, just whip it for longer than you would for whip cream, it will turn yellow and chunky.  Then add your embellishments and push into molds.
herb butters are also made by making a butter 'log' shape and rolling it in crushed herbs.  chill this again and then slice.
if you don't already, think about using organic dairy...  pesticides and toxins are stored in fat (i.e. most dairy), the animals are treated better, and you are supporting a healthier ecosystem wherever your food (and the cows's food) is grown. 
butter is a great nourishing food when pure and used in small amounts, so enjoy it!

Yeah, to make it, we used heavy cream. I'm all about the organic stuff, too. I even buy organic snack foods! Heh.

Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Lab TV: Eric White
Dela: Live Art Painter With An Environmental Message
Aaron Axelrod: The Making of the "Bad Reception" Art Installation
How to Draw Rito Yuuki
Oil Painting For Beginners
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...