A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Double stranding  (Read 794 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2007 06:25:06 PM »

I am a total newbie here and this is probably a really obvious question but I search quite a few back pages and didn't find it. I have a bag pattern that I would like to make (so fit is not essential). The pattern calls for 8 ply, mostly I have four ply yarn. Could I use two strands and have the pattern come out well?

Thanks in advance
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007 07:07:40 PM »

Sure! Just try swatching first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007 09:54:24 PM »

You COULD, however, there are a few things that are different:

Weight is essential. What is the weight of the yarn that is called for? Yes, it says 8 ply, but the strands that are plied could be thinner or thicker depending on the weight (like you can have an 8 ply sport weight, and an 8 ply bulky. theyre both 8 ply, but theyre two very different thicknesses). 8 ply doesnt necessarily mean much, its the weight of the yarn that matters. You dont necessarily have to double strand just as long as you have the weight yarn needed (worsted, lace, etc). just because it calls for 8 ply, putting two 4 ply together wont necessarily equal an 8 ply given the way the two strands will interact. It will be a lot thicker/denser/firmer than a normal 8 ply because the two strands aren't plied together (its all about loft/etc which would be a very long explanation if you don't spin). say... you put two strands of worsted weight together to make a bulky yarn. You then make the same object using an actual bulky yarn. The two will have a very, very different.

So yeah, after that rambley explanation, Ill say that it all has to do with weight. What weight does it call for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
Sansa

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007 11:53:40 PM »

The pattern calls for worsted weight. Its all very difficult. I'm in Australia but the pattern is American so the terms don't match up totally. I found a site which said worsted was 8 ply. The balls I have say they are 4 ply. There's no yarn store in my small town, its eBay or the grocery store which sells horrible acrylic.

Thanks for your advice so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007 04:30:28 AM »

Do you have a measuring tool that measures in inches? Heres what you can do: to measure the eight of the yarn, you'll measure the "wraps per inch" - in order to do this, you're going to get a tool that measures in inches. start wrapping the yarn around it consistently. not too tightly, but not too loosely, either. Make sure the wraps are right next to each other, not overlapping each other or with any space between. Dont smoosh it too tightly together, either, but let it sit comfortably. A worsted weight yarn has approximately 12 wraps per inch (measure from one inch mark to the next immediate inch mark)

This website also has a great chart, plus some "how to" pics:
http://www.woolfestival.com/articles/WPI.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
zeeblebee
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007 09:19:42 PM »

The equivalent of worsted for those who use the "ply system" (just as standardised as any other system, and nowadays not actually based on the number of plys) is 10 ply, smack in the middle of the standard 12 ply or 8 ply- go figure.

Becuase you are doubling 4 ply I think it should be fairly equivalent, but if you don't like the fabric that you are getting you could try out using three instead, though it may be a bit bulky. As always, swatching is important, sorry.

Just as a tangent, sorry, not trying to hog the thread, but is the worsted etc system used anywhere but the U.S?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sansa

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007 05:45:50 PM »

Thanks for all the info. I'm trying to learn. I found a thicker yarn and used it single stranded and the granny square cam out five inches instead of seven and I made eight of them. Then I ran out of yarn to border them and make the strap. Arrgghh. And I can't get any more.

I am making an afghan though, and I realise how much stiffer double stranding makes the fabric. It is nice, but hard to work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
Behind the Sandwich: Crispy Pork at Bark Hot Dogs
The Best Burger in New York City: The Brindle Room
Dr. Travis Makes a Healthy Deep Dish Pizza
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...