A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 307,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pattern Question/Help-Hipster  (Read 547 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

angelicasongs
« on: August 01, 2007 02:40:48 PM »

First here's the link to what I'm knitting.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATTpetitchou.html

I've asked all over and so far no one can really understand exactly what to do. I'm stuck on row 6 but I'll post rows 1-7. What I really need to know is how row 6 is supposed to be started and what it might look like when I'm done. I used a circular needle(2 ends) instead of the dpn. I purled the first stitch on the left needle to the first on the right needle.I used the stitch created and repeated that step in row six. After I was done I had the stitches on the holder left but everything else was bound off so I don't think I did it right.

I also tried purling the two stitches together and repeated with every stitch which decreased the number of stitches in half. I was left with something doublesided and not enough stitches to do row 7. So I'm hoping someone can understand what exactly I'm supposed to be doing in row 6. Thanx!!!!!
With straight needles, CO 79[95, 111] sts using invisible method.
Row 1: K.
Row 2: P 38[46, 54], pm, p3, pm, p 38[46, 54].
Row 3: K4, *yo, k2tog, rep from * to last 6 sts before marker, k15, *k2tog, yo, rep from * to last 4 sts, k4.
Row 4: P.
Row 5: K.
Remove scrap yarn from CO and transfer these 78[94, 110] sts to smaller dpn or circular needle.
Row 6: Hold the needle at the top of the work in your left hand. Fold the bottom needle up towards you. The smooth stockinette side should be on the outside of the work.
P the first stitch on the the "top" needle tog with the first st on the "bottom" needle. You will end up with just one st on your right needle.
Rep 31[39, 47] times, slip the next 14 sts from the bottom needle onto a st holder or scrap yarn [you should have 32[40, 48] sts left], p the 15 sts from the top needle, p tog the rest of the sts as for the beg of this row.
Row 7 [RS]: P1, k1, yo, k2tog, ssk, k2, yo, *k1, yo, k2, vd, k2, yo, rep from * 2[3, 4] times, k1, yo, k2, k2tog, k1, ssk, yo, k2, ssk, k2, yo, k1 *yo, k2, vd, k2, yo, k1, rep from * 2[3, 4] times, yo, k2, k2tog, ssk, yo, k1, p1.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007 02:56:29 PM »

Sounds to me a lot like the 3-needle bind-off ( see Finishing Techniques on http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelicasongs
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007 03:03:08 PM »

That's what I kept getting but I'm not understanding why I'm binding off at this point in the pattern. So I figured I was doing it wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amyb444
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007 10:07:48 PM »

I believe you are making a hem. I'm guessing it's worked from the waist down, so you are making the waistband part. I think the thing that might be confusing you is when it says you will end up with one stitch on the right needle. It means you will have one stitch for each of the two you are purling together. You put the CO stitches up to the normal/live stitches, and you have x stitches on each needle. With your right needle (the folded part is in your left hand) you will purl the first stitch from the CO stitches and the first stitch from the live stitches into one stitch. You repeat this, purling the second stitch of the CO stitches and the second stitch from the live stitches, and so on. If it helps, another way you could achieve this look is to have just CO normally, and then later you could fold the CO edge up and sew it onto the sixth row. I hope that makes some sense, it's really hard to explain without pictures, and I couldn't find any. You could also search for how to do a picot edge, because it's the same idea just without the actual picot part.

Here are some decent pictures of what you will be doing...
http://cmeknit.blogspot.com/2005/11/diego-vest-part-one.html

Also I drew some crappy ms paint diagrams. I'm sorry that they suck.
This is how your two left needles will be lined up. One green stitch and one red stitch will be purled together.

Now this is supposed to be after you've purled them. Notice how there is only one new blue stitch for every red and green pair (there are less total stitches in this picture but that's just my leet art skillz). This is to show how the red and green stitches get purled together under the new stitch.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I will whip something up and take some real pics for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Holiday Bingo
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Kitty Floss Holders
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: DIY Dryer Sheets

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...