A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Organic Coffee Dyed Shopping Bag- WAY image heavy! ***link to tutorial***  (Read 13430 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftyhandbags
« on: August 01, 2007 12:43:47 PM »

I had SO much fun with this one.  I went with the whole ocean theme, because plastic shopping bags are a huge danger to sea life.  And I just had to do something different, so I made my own organic (and fair traded) coffee dye.  I wanted to do a design, though, so I had to do a little experimenting.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it!

I used 100% unbleached cotton muslin.  I couldn't find organic, though.   Sad Following queenofdiy's tutorial, I made a pattern on Christmas wrapping paper.  That was what I had available, okay!

I started by dip dyeing the lining, using the coffee that was boiling.  Then I hung it up to dry.

Then, I made the coffee dye/paint.  It's kind of involved, so I won't get into all the steps here.  Please ignore the cruddy pot and spatula, it's my craft pot and spatula.

Then, I painted the images on.  The whale went on the front.

The shell was for the pocket.

There's a whole process for setting the dye, but once again, it's involoved.  I also won't bore you with more pictures of the assembling process, because queenofdiy has plenty of pictures of that on her tutorial.

Here's a closeup of the lining after I assembled the bag.  You can also see the pocket design.

Here's the whale design on the front.

The finished project!

And finally the action shot!  My lovely monkey was helping.  It's either let him model or let him take the pictures, and I love my camera too much for that!

Once again, I'm so happy!  This was my first contest, and I'm in love with the bag.  The ladies at JoAnn's were laughing when I brought it in and told them if it didn't fit in the bag, I couldn't bring it home!  Good thing it holds a lot!

*** I've moved the tutorial here with pics!!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=188530.0
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007 08:14:54 AM by craftyhandbags - Reason: Updated tutorial! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

I have an etsy!!!  http://craftybagsetc.etsy.com
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007 01:24:37 PM »

Looks great!  Coffee dyeing is so fun, plus it smells much better than chemical dyes  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
skibum1207
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007 01:38:42 PM »

How do you make the coffee paint? It looks really cool to try! How does it hold up to washing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jellybones
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007 01:55:06 PM »

love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

is this it?
instantk4rma

Junior mycologists have questionable morels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007 02:08:11 PM »

I'd definitely be interested in a tutorial on how to make and set the dye! If you're comfortable with posting one, I'd be happy to learn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lydia the Strange
Supreme Enabler

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007 02:10:32 PM »

Your bag is lovely. I have been wanting to try my hand at tea staining for some now and you have just lit a fire under my butt to do so...thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyhandbags
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007 02:14:28 PM »

Looks great!  Coffee dyeing is so fun, plus it smells much better than chemical dyes  Cheesy

Well, the way I made the dye/paint, it made my house stink like burnt coffee!  That smell doesn't go away that easily.
But yeah, it still smells way better than some chemical dyes I've used.

How do you make the coffee paint? It looks really cool to try! How does it hold up to washing?
I've washed it twice already with regular detergent and put it through the dryer, and it looks great still.  I wouldn't bleach it.

I'd definitely be interested in a tutorial on how to make and set the dye! If you're comfortable with posting one, I'd be happy to learn!
I'm going out of town this weekend (and I'm taking my bag!), so I'll try to have one done next week some time.  I took enough pictures to explain it!

Thanks so much for your compliments!  I'm hoping to make more really soon, so maybe I'll have more examples when I post the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

craftyhandbags
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007 02:16:47 PM »

Your bag is lovely. I have been wanting to try my hand at tea staining for some now and you have just lit a fire under my butt to do so...thanks!

Thanks!  I have gone staining crazy.  I have turmeric dye, and curry dye sitting in my fridge right now.  I'm just waiting for the chance to use them! 
I prefer coffee to tea- it holds up better in the wash, I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jessiac_3

But you're better than normal, you're abnormal!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007 02:35:15 PM »

Very interesting!  I love how simple/elegant the design looks against the natural color of the bag.  I, too, am interested in a tutorial on how to make/set the dye.

What is the consistency of the dye?  Would it work with large stamps (like the ones you use to decorate a wall?)  I have some big fish stamps that would look awesome with that dye (if it'll work).

Thanks for the idea!  I look forward to the tut for the dye... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when you realize life's a b!tch, she has puppies.  - Anonymous
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007 05:02:02 PM »

What I great idea, I love how many of these entries include eco-friendly construction methods!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
C&C Try: Apple Cider Vinegar Treatments
How to Get Christmas Tree Nails
Self Magazine’s Perfect Stocking Stuffers
Day to Night Hairstyle Tutorials
Ciaté Puts the Polish on Last Minute Christmas Gifts
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...