A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,739
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blossom: Recycled Jeans-Bag  (Read 9504 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2007 12:36:19 PM »

I'm not experienced with stencils (yet!) and whenever I try to decorate things, they end up looking cluttered and scary.  So I went for simplicity with this project:

My friends know I'm crafty, so before they head off to the thrift store to donate old things, they ask me if I want to dig through their stuff first.  This was a pair of capris, lined with some fabric my grandma gave me when I was learning to sew about 15 years ago, and an old 1970's button I swiped from my mom's sewing kit when I was little.  The strap is the leftovers from a leg that I narrowed up and sewed to the sides.

Don't mind the wet spot, I was a little impatient to take a picture after ironing on the DIY patches!

Close-up of the flower.  I cut the shape out of two pieces of fabric and sewed them together onto the bag through the button.

These bags are fun, fast, and easy to make, and most of the hard work is already done for you!  Just sew the bottom of the jeans together at the crotch, make the strap and sew it on, and then add the lining.  Viola!  You've got a recycled bag complete with pockets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Lydia the Strange
Supreme Enabler

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007 02:27:33 PM »

cute bag. you can never go wrong with denim.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jessiac_3

But you're better than normal, you're abnormal!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007 02:40:22 PM »

My Dad's coworker makes these bags as purses and sells them at craft fairs (he got me one for Christmas last year).  I like your version a bit better, though, because hers is just one leg of the jeans, so I had difficulty cramming all of my purse contents into the small opening.  I have a couple of pairs of old jeans lying around that would be great for this.

I just have a couple questions, isn't the denim super thick to use on the sewing machine?  I have a Brother machine, which is good, but I'm not sure if it could handle that much fabric.  Do you need to use a special needle?  I'm still kinda new to this whole sewing thing, so I have to ask lots of questions!

Clever idea, and since it's denim, it'll hold up to all those canned goods! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when you realize life's a b!tch, she has puppies.  - Anonymous
ACSBarbiegirl

"The person who dies with the most fabric wins!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007 03:00:36 PM »

I really liked your recycling pocket detail!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fishie
she of the sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007 11:19:08 AM »

My Dad's coworker makes these bags as purses and sells them at craft fairs (he got me one for Christmas last year).  I like your version a bit better, though, because hers is just one leg of the jeans, so I had difficulty cramming all of my purse contents into the small opening.  I have a couple of pairs of old jeans lying around that would be great for this.

I just have a couple questions, isn't the denim super thick to use on the sewing machine?  I have a Brother machine, which is good, but I'm not sure if it could handle that much fabric.  Do you need to use a special needle?  I'm still kinda new to this whole sewing thing, so I have to ask lots of questions!

Clever idea, and since it's denim, it'll hold up to all those canned goods! Cheesy

I used the old sewing machine my mom gave me in the early nineties, using the same needle I've had in it the WHOLE time.  This was stretch denim, though, so it wasn't as thick as normal jeans would be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Algol
BookFreak

The Urban Gypsie - since 1989

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007 12:59:27 PM »

At the Margaritaville store here in town, they sell one side of the top of a pr of jeans with no decoration and a handle...I think you get a Buffett button for dec. $29.99. Yep.

That looks awesome! I'm drawing plans for a denim msgr bag...widened, gussetted and with a full-over flap. I have one from J. Crew made of oilcloth and it's insanely great. The more I torment it, the better it looks. So I want another with all the pockets I could put/add to denim for art supplies on the go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Does that come in lime green?"
jmesdiylounge
That girl is crafty like ice is cold! ~Beastie Boys

Sew it up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007 11:20:52 AM »

This is so cool. I love the recycle graphic patch. I love the calico fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My shop Boatload of Craft is here!!
Boatload of Craft - My Shop/MySpace/Flickr
fishie
she of the sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007 04:13:26 PM »

I used this bag for the first time a few days ago, and it's the PERFECT size to keep me from impulse buying more than I need.  Even better, I used the pockets to keep my keys in so I didn't have to carry them around with me in the store!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
AADmna
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007 08:10:21 PM »

That is one of the coolest recycle symbols I've ever seen! Well done Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RecycleCindy

My Signature Recycled Bag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007 10:30:17 AM »

Nice recycled jean bag. I'm working on making some of these too. It's a great way to reuse old jeans and create some cool bags. Thanks for sharing yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleCindy
http://www.myrecycledbags.com
My Website dedicated to recycling & crafting
Free patterns & ideas for recycled crafts!
lil_abi
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007 06:28:08 AM »

I've made these too.  The denim ones are hard to sew on a Brother (ask me how I know) but if you are patient, take your time, and really try to flatten the bulk, AND, if you use a heavy duty needle, you should be okay.  Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Rhonda Stapleton Talks About Stupid Cupid
Brad Thor Discusses the Last Patriot
The Hollow Trilogy Book Trailer
Author Isabel Gillies Discusses Her Memoir Happens Every Day
Sneak Peek at Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...