A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My new antique wheel! Anyone know where I can find more about her?  (Read 1289 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2007 12:03:10 PM »

This will probably be a long story, but it just shows how we were meant to be.  Otherwise just skip down to the pictures.

Every year my mom, sister and I go to Wisconsin to visit my mom's side of the family.  It's a bit boring up there if you're not on a lake, which leads to us going unusual places for the sake of doing something.  There's an old farmhouse / antique store behind my grandparents' house, which we used to go to, but it was never worth it.  The only item ever purchased was soap, so we haven't been in 5 years or so.  (Though the ruins of the stone barn and silo are pretty spiffy.)  This year, my mom wanted to go just to see if it had changed, and I immediately thought, "spinning wheel!"  Of course I didn't say anything, because that would ruin my chances.  A quick trot across the road (including being whistled at by a truck driver), and the same old same old.  Piles of ugly wool cloth and the fat orange tabby.  But there, in the second room, sat a glorious spinning wheel, backlit by the afternoon sun!  Like she was waiting for me.  I ran over to her and gave my mom my best puppy face.  She gave me her "you really should have been born in the olden days" look.  I explained to her that she NEEDED to come home with me, otherwise someone would buy her for decoration, and she would sit unused and sad forever.  (I actually got to write a short story about a very sad and angry wheel who never got used for one of my upper division classes.  Hurrah college!)  A quick inspection revealed all the parts were there and original (and stuck together with grime and bits of wool), minus the drive band and possibly two bobbins.  But it still had two, so that was mighty fine with me.  I was then dragged off to look at the rest of the house.  After being convinced that I couldn't run back across one of the busiest roads in the county with it, we agreed to leave it and come back in a few days after hitting up other antique shops. 
I did find 2 other wheels, but both weren't nearly as pretty or in as good shape.  My grandpa (an amazing woodworker) said he would make me a wheel, but after researching that route, it proved to be the most expensive option.  He is making me some more bobbins though!
Tuesday, the magic day arrived.  We took the car this time, and after a very short discussion and much caressing of the wheel, she was in the car for a mere $225.  Quite a bargain, I think.  (Never mind how much it cost to ship her home to Dallas...)

On to the pictures!

A very pleased me treadling away.  Never mind that I didn't have anything to spin.  She is a bit wobbly with the wheel and flyer off, but very sturdy together.  She also runs completely silent, and I didn't have any problems with keeping the wheel going in the right direction.  She's very broken in.  I've named her Estelle, because I got a very very strong vibe of that name when I first saw her at the shop.  The owner told us the ghost of the "spinster" (as in never married) daughter of the original German couple who built the farm tends to hang out downstairs, as she died in the parlor.  So maybe she knows something and told me Estelle.

side.  The horizontal bar in the middle is a metal rod that goes through one of the wheel supports and into the bottom of the maiden.  It hold the extra bobbins, which aren't shown.

head on

small parts: flyer, pulley (both are threaded), bobbin, pins that hold the wheel on.

Underside, showing the cap on the end of the screw for the maiden.  The whole maiden/tension system works via a large wooden screw.  Also, the most accurate shot of the blue color.

Tiny woodburned design on the tension nob, and best shot of the red-orange color.

The footman.  I love it especially.  It was starting to split at the top, so someone cut a little groove around it and fit in some wire.  The very tidy wrapping  between the keyhole like bit and and stick bit is also wire.

The only sad parts are I can't have her until xmas (nooo!) and I know nothing about her history.  Which is where I'm hoping you lovely spinners will come in. 

Here's what else I know:
--26" wheel
--most likely made out of maple
--originally died a red-orange, then a navy blue.  It's not anything like today's paint.
--I bought her in Waukesha, WI, but before me she was bought at auction.
--Orifice is about the size of a pencil.
--Whoever had her first treadled with her left foot.

I'd just like to know what country or area she was made in, and about how old she is.  At auction she was reported to be at least 200.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007 12:06:41 PM by determinedimprovisation » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nikobee
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007 07:11:27 PM »

Beautiful!!!  Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!  Amazing find...I am sad that you can't have it until Christmas. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahbird
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007 08:41:56 PM »

wow!  i don't know anything about wheels, but that one is gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog - random crafty musings:
sarahbird.wordpress .com
the etsy - handspun yarn and more:
sarahbirdspins.etsy .com
ivycircle
Spinstress Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007 07:46:35 PM »

great wheel! I love the look of a saxony. Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007 09:42:49 AM »

Oh, how gorgeous.  Words fail!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
mollystanek
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007 10:08:52 PM »

Hey... congrats on the Christmas present... only 3 months and 23 days to go, right? 

I am the proud owner of two antique wheels, and I love spinning on both of them.  I love the feeling of history!  It looks like you found a beautiful wheel, and I would love to help you find out more.

The main way that I have found out more information about my wheels was to contact the people on Yahoo's Spin-list.  I posted a picture on my blog, linked to it in a message, and asked for help.  I got more responses than I ever expected, from people who have amazing libraries of books that catalog the various wheel makers and styles and periods and such.  Plus, they are a neat group of people to talk to if you ever have a problem with the wheel, there are a lot of experienced spinners who spin with antique wheels who are really awesome with helping us newbies.

Good luck!  (and happy spinning - give her lots of oil, she probably will drink a ton after being out of use for so long...)

Molly Marie

P.S.  Feel free to contact me if you need more info...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ceramic Artist, Waitress, Bunny Mom (to four adorable furry angoras), Business Partner... where's the time for the crafts?!?!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Amazing 1990s Hair Will Give You A Heaping Helping Of Nostalgia
How to Do a Waterfall Braid
How to Fake a Thick Bun Hairstyle
How to Shampoo Your Hair Correctly
Jennifer Aniston Wants Supermodel Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...