A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 301,516
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felting only part of a knit  (Read 760 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eyeloveit
« on: August 01, 2007 10:40:40 AM »

Hello fellow knitters!  I am working on a really cute little handbag right now, made from Lion Brand wool and Noro Silk Garden.  The Lion Brand wool is on top, and I'd like to felt only that part for stability and texture.  But, I don't want to turn the beautiful Silk Garden yarn into a complete disaster. Huh  I think washing it would be the wrong thing to do.

Any ideas??
Thanks guys.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog (in it's infancy!)
http://eyeloveit.blogspot.com
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007 10:51:10 AM »

You could knit the Lion Brand part, felt it, then pick up and knit the remainder.  If you're already into the Silk Garden section you could possibly hand-felt, but needle felting would probably be more accurate. 

Just be sure you don't over-felt.  I just ruined 3 oven mitts (didn't watch the felting time close enough) and now they won't even go on my hand.  waaah!  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
dancinmslacey
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007 01:32:14 PM »

This may sound completely dumb, but I see it mentioned on here a lot hehe.  What is felting?HuhHuh  Can somebody please help me out.  Thanks in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dbh2ppa
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007 02:11:27 PM »

This may sound completely dumb, but I see it mentioned on here a lot hehe.  What is felting?HuhHuh  Can somebody please help me out.  Thanks in advance.

I have exactly the same question... what's felting?Huh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Made a cross from knitting needles,
made a grave from hoover bags
specially for the woman in the wall"
(The beautiful south - The woman in the wall)
dancinmslacey
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007 02:19:25 PM »

I don't feel so alone now dbh2ppa.  Thanks for speaking up with me. Smiley hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007 02:21:15 PM »

Essentially, agitating and shrinking wool or other natural fibers to become a solid fabric - felt. Remember using it in elementary school? This is the grown-up version. To do it normally, you throw something in the washer on hot, let it spin a bit and it will shrink. There's tons of tutorials out there - just look up "how to felt" and you'll have plenty of options  Cheesy

I agree with Calysa - needle felting would be most accurate, or I've heard of some crazy people felting in a bowl of hot water and hand-agitating stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
dbh2ppa
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007 02:51:43 PM »

Essentially, agitating and shrinking wool or other natural fibers to become a solid fabric - felt. Remember using it in elementary school? This is the grown-up version. To do it normally, you throw something in the washer on hot, let it spin a bit and it will shrink. There's tons of tutorials out there - just look up "how to felt" and you'll have plenty of options  Cheesy

Thank you ^^...

I don't feel so alone now dbh2ppa.  Thanks for speaking up with me. Smiley hehe
We begginers need to stick together ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Made a cross from knitting needles,
made a grave from hoover bags
specially for the woman in the wall"
(The beautiful south - The woman in the wall)
eyeloveit
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007 05:56:46 PM »

Essentially, agitating and shrinking wool or other natural fibers to become a solid fabric - felt. Remember using it in elementary school? This is the grown-up version. To do it normally, you throw something in the washer on hot, let it spin a bit and it will shrink. There's tons of tutorials out there - just look up "how to felt" and you'll have plenty of options  Cheesy

I agree with Calysa - needle felting would be most accurate, or I've heard of some crazy people felting in a bowl of hot water and hand-agitating stuff.

LOL!  Grin
I thought about the needle felting option. And then I thought, I'll have to order a (needle felting) kit....and wait for it to get here....and then finish my project.  I'm not good at waiting.

So what did I decide to do?  I filled a shallow dish with hot water and a little detergent, and I felted the top of my purse with my fingertips!  And ya know, it worked like a charm!  It turned out exactly how I wanted it to.

Then I put the purse in the washing machine and let it go through spin cycle only to spin the water out.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog (in it's infancy!)
http://eyeloveit.blogspot.com
cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007 10:38:43 PM »

Essentially, agitating and shrinking wool or other natural fibers to become a solid fabric - felt. Remember using it in elementary school? This is the grown-up version. To do it normally, you throw something in the washer on hot, let it spin a bit and it will shrink. There's tons of tutorials out there - just look up "how to felt" and you'll have plenty of options  Cheesy

Well, then let it be said - some craftsters try some crazy things...

and they WORK!  Grin

LOL!  Grin
I thought about the needle felting option. And then I thought, I'll have to order a (needle felting) kit....and wait for it to get here....and then finish my project.  I'm not good at waiting.

So what did I decide to do?  I filled a shallow dish with hot water and a little detergent, and I felted the top of my purse with my fingertips!  And ya know, it worked like a charm!  It turned out exactly how I wanted it to.

Then I put the purse in the washing machine and let it go through spin cycle only to spin the water out.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Star Shape Part 5/8
How to Crochet a Star Shape Part 1/8
How to Crochet a Star Shape Part 2/8
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 7/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 8/28
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...