A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vertical scarf fringe?  (Read 2622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emling
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2004 10:12:24 AM »

Yet ANOTHER possibility that hasn't been suggested yet is this--it's labor-intensive, but I can imagine it might look pretty cool:

1. Crochet several long chains with a small needle using a fairly lightweight yarn--sportweight or baby weight should do the trick. All of the chains should be the same length (I'm thinking 3 yards or so--but you'd have to experiment), and in different colors
2. Cast on using a chain as your 'yarn'. I'd use the knitted cast on method, or some other method that leaves the cast on tail at the beginning of the cast on row. The cast on tail should be as long as you want your fringe to be. Stop casting on stitches when the remaining chain is fringe length.
3. Turn your work, and join a different colored chain, again leaving a fringe-lentgh tail.  Knit to the end of the row. You'll probably want to knot the fringe 'tails' together in some way so your edges are neat, and so nothing works loose.
4. Repeat with remaining chains, until the scarf is as wide as you want it to be, bind off.

Hmmm, come to think of it, maybe I should give this a try.  I always like the idea of manufacturing your own yarn, whether it's from cut up fabric, spinning your own wool, or using left-over yarn in a creative way. I made a kick-butt bathroom rug out of some of my husband's old t-shirts once, and it was gratifying to see a project from the yarn-creation stage to the end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2004 11:22:27 AM »

Ok, guys, I was lucky (?) enough to see a scarf like this in person, where I could pull at it, touch it, and examine it closely.  And now I'm fascinated/obsessed.  I'm pretty sure I've figured out the basic idea behind it, but not all the details.  and let me tell you, you'd have to be insane to copy this by hand, but I'm probably going to try it out a little to see if I can figure out the last details.

Ok, so each fringe piece is 4 stitch icord (in tiny yarn on tiny needles.)  So you need to start by making a bunch of icords as long as you want your fringe.  You need 2 icords for each solid color verticle stripe.  It looks like the scarf here has the color sequence WYBPTYPBT
(W=white, Y= yellow, B= blue, P= pink, T= turquoise)
So you'd lay out your icords like so: WWYYBBPPTTYYPPBBTT - the first letter of each pair is in set A, and the second is in set B
Then you join these icords together in some fancy way (this is where the details get fuzzy)so that on alternate rows  (or pairs of rows?) you're working alternate sets of icords.  (here the lowercase letters represent the individual stitches of one side of each icord, so ww are both part of one W)
wwyybbppttyyppbbttww  (set A)
 wwyybbppttyyppbbttww  (set B)

and do something like Beppycat's double sided stockinette (but making sure that the two sides are locked together all the way across somehow) for the body of the scarf.  The key, however, is that you're kind of alternating which half of the icords you're working on.  So for the first 2 rows you work set A, the second 2 rows you work set B, you continue alternating in this manner until you get to the end of the scarf, and then you switch back to individual icords)

This will make the verticle stripes - the really interesting thing about the stripes is that they're not solid.  They go *solid, interleaved, repeat from *.  Where "interleaved" means the stitches in the column alternate colors. 

I'm going to be looking into this problem more (probably after christmas) later.  I may have to break down and buy the scarf as a reference!  I just find this so interesting in a 'theoretical knitting' kind of way.  My grip on sanity is definitely getting more tenuous Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
couturekitten

I pity the fool!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2004 11:30:56 AM »

I was going to say, couldn't you just knit each row as its own entity, leaving the tail on each end and the sew them together?  I know that would be a lot more work than crochet but it gives you the nice knit texture.  Just a thought  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
svava
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2004 11:47:05 AM »

I made my bf's mom a vertical stripe with knitted fringe for x-mas.  Each stripe starts as its own entity then joins for the body of the scarf (intarsia color work) and separates into separate little strips for the fringe on the opposite end.  I used a pattern from Interweave Knits (don't remember which issue).  It was rather tedious being fingering weight yarns and on #2 needles... but the finished product was well worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepaper
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2004 04:34:49 AM »

and let me tell you, you'd have to be insane to copy this by hand,
'nuff said... maybe I'll just buy one. I've been questioning my sanity lately anyway.
I'd love to see how it comes out if anyone tries it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2004 07:07:30 AM »

I was going to say, couldn't you just knit each row as its own entity, leaving the tail on each end and the sew them together?  I know that would be a lot more work than crochet but it gives you the nice knit texture.  Just a thought  Grin
thus defeating the purpose of not buying circular needles.......unless you just did it like...4 stitches across on straights, but that would take FOREVER too much turning! That's a good idea though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
gretchen28
Live, Craft, Share!

Kitt, Let's Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2004 11:57:56 AM »

i own this scarf... there's no way it's knitted. it's machine-made all the way, probably in china.

i think it was $28 or something... you should just buy it.  and save yourself the insanity Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Banquet and Most Poor Suckers are Starving to Death
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2004 09:18:12 AM »

i own this scarf... there's no way it's knitted. it's machine-made all the way, probably in china.

i think it was $28 or something... you should just buy it. and save yourself the insanity Smiley
I think it's kind of fun trying to figure it out, you feel very proud when you finally get it done. Plus, I would personally never pay close to thirty bucks on a scarf, especially if I knew there was a way I could figure out how to make it...but, I'm cheap, soooo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2004 11:47:17 AM »

The one I saw, my friend said she got for $7, so I may buy one if I can find it at that price, just so that I can have a reference when figuring it out.  I am insane enough to want to really figure it out, so stay tuned.  I may get to this sometime after christmas and post a tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gretchen28
Live, Craft, Share!

Kitt, Let's Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2004 12:30:18 PM »

i think it was $28 or something... you should just buy it. and save yourself the insanity Smiley
I think it's kind of fun trying to figure it out, you feel very proud when you finally get it done. Plus, I would personally never pay close to thirty bucks on a scarf, especially if I knew there was a way I could figure out how to make it...but, I'm cheap, soooo

my point is, it is not knitted.  it is machine woven. you can spin your wheels all you like trying to figure it out... but you can't turn an apple into an orange.   it also has 15 different colors in it... even if you buy the cheap stuff (like i do cause i have no money either) there's no way you're going to spend less than $28.   

if you want to make a vertically-striped scarf that is self fringing... that's another story.   i have made them before and they do turn out wonderfully...  my friend kyra in fact just finished a huge menswear scarf using this same method... http://kyra.typepad.com/knitmeister/2004/12/the_scarf_in_ny.html

get some really long circs (40" or so) and cast on somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 stitches.  when you come to the end of a row, leave a 7" tail and cut it.  begin each row with a 7" tail as well.  once the scarf is the length you want, tie every other tail together and voila-- fringe. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Banquet and Most Poor Suckers are Starving to Death
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sour Cream Waffle Recipe
Cheese-Stuffed Doritos Recipe
Jacques Pepin’s Easy Mayo Recipe
How to Make a Bacon and Mozzarella Omelete
How to Make Apple Pancakes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...