A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vertical scarf fringe?  (Read 2571 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

glccafar
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004 05:02:50 PM »

Yes. longways is definitely the way to go if you want to make a similar scarf.

Thanks for the instructions, starlings.  I think I'm going to have to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepaper
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004 06:08:59 PM »

whew, I'm glad that I will not poke an eye out LOL Wink
2 more questions....
what size needles and what type of yarn do you think I would use, it was really light and very soft, it was almost like not touching anything and the stitches were really small and close together.
thanks again for helping me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004 07:13:28 PM »

I can't get a great idea of the size, etc. from the pic you posted, and I don't go in the Aeropostale store if I can help it.  (Too many giggling, anorexic teenagers.  I just turned 28, and I my body's never been the same since my daughter was born, and frankly, I don't need to be reminded of it by a bunch of haughty little teenyboppers, which, I can assure you, are the majority of patrons in my local Aeropostale, and that generalization is not meant to pigeonhole any of YOU who may shop there.  [ / rant ])

Ah, but anyway, I think it'd be pretty easy to make.  It looks likely a lovely, soft merino, maybe, and if you got a baby or sport weight, and knitted it up on a size 5 or 6 needle, you'd probably get a pretty, soft, and fairly finely knit fabric.  And if you want to do a nice inexpensive version, you could always work it up in Red Heart baby yarn.  The TLC baby yarn is 100% acrylic, so VERY washable, but it is also VERY soft, with a very subtle sheen.  I personally think it is quite attractive, and for about $2 per 6oz skein, it's hard to beat the price.  AND, they've expanded the available colors to include some brighter colors, rather than the traditional pale pastels.  I think you could actually do a pretty close job of duplicating the Aeropostale color pallette with the TLC Baby.

As for the fringe:  Could it be I-cord?  Is it possible that they broke yarn for each stripe, leaving very long tails, and then knitting the tails up in I-cord and knotted them at the end?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
starlings
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004 07:27:37 PM »

As for the fringe:  Could it be I-cord?  Is it possible that they broke yarn for each stripe, leaving very long tails, and then knitting the tails up in I-cord and knotted them at the end?

I've seen these scarves around, and it is definitely a self-fringe.  The yarn is usually lofty and cord-like. Like this, maybe:
http://www.yarnmarket.com/product.cfm?action=show_product&product_id=665
or this, but smoother:
http://www.yarnmarket.com/product.cfm?action=show_product&product_id=502
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004 08:15:26 PM »

*sigh*  I hate being directed to yarn stores for examples...  I'm SO BROKE!  (Although my parents gave me $150 for my birthday today, but I think they intended it to help with my bills...)

I only suggested it because she said the fringe looked knitted.  So, if it is a self-fringe, but does, in fact, look knitted, then could it be a cable-constructed yarn? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004 11:55:22 PM »

that's what i was going to suggest-- that it is knitted lengthwise out of a tubular yarn rather than a worsted yarn. so the yarn is in effect a little tube of i-cord on its own, and the tails at the end of each row automatically look knitted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
ilovepaper
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004 03:19:55 AM »

starlings, it does look a lot like that second link, thanks for your help.
Lothruin- I HEAR YA SISTA. I can't shop there for myself. I gave birth to 3, plus I'm 39, so I have less business walking through thier doors than you. I'm not sure who's body I am walking around in but it ain't the one I had 12 years ago.  Cry Anyway, I did buy some really cute, soft, monkey pajamas for my neice.
Thanks for the tips, I would definitely do it with cheap yarn the first time around, these 3 daughters leave me with very little craft money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlings
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2004 07:03:58 AM »

*sigh*  I hate being directed to yarn stores for examples... 

I've tried loading bits of yarn into my CD-R drive, but that never seems to work. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2004 07:36:18 AM »

I know people have already answered your question of how to make the scarf without having to add the fringe after. But it was thinking, it would also be really easy to crochet longways, just leave a tail on each end........that way you wouldnt have to buy circs. Unless you don't know how to crochet, then this post is pointless Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
ilovepaper
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2004 09:02:20 AM »

Good thinking littleone!
I can crochet way faster than I can knit. My mom taught me when I was around 5, so I've had a few years of practice. I can already see an increase in my knitting speed as I'm becoming more comfortable juggling 2 needles. Granted, I've only made 3 scarves and 2 were on size 17 needles with real chunky yarn but after Christmastime I will actually try a pattern of some kind.... just wait for my questions then!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Landscape Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Kids/Pets Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Indoor Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Fireworks Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...