A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vertical scarf fringe?  (Read 2587 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ilovepaper
« on: December 02, 2004 03:38:08 AM »

I was  shopping yesterday and saw this cute scarf-

http://www.aeropostale.com/images/Holiday04/medium/female/accessories/w_accessories_8a930.jpg

Anyway, it looks really simple to knit except for the fringe. It isn't just just strands of yarn hanging off the ends, it looks knitted somehow. This isn't any kind of emergency, I'm just curious because I would like to make one for myself in the near future. I am really new at knitting and can handle basic stuff... do you think this is too difficult for a novice?
thanks knitters.
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004 03:58:17 AM »

It looks as though the scarf may be woven.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog, fingers and toes
bfkirsch
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004 04:04:56 AM »

twisted fringe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepaper
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004 04:23:04 AM »

thanks for the quick replies.

It looks as though the scarf may be woven.
I examined it pretty closely and am pretty sure they were knit stitches... but then again, I am no expert. How would I know if it were woven?
twisted fringe?
ya know... it did look almost braid-like. How would one go about that look?

I'm sorry for all these lamo questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lesleycayton

deedle deedle dee. wubba wubba wubba.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004 04:52:30 AM »

alas, it does look woven.

if it is knitted, then they must have knit it "longways" and found a way to let the yarn dangle from the edges but neatly tied so that it won't unravel....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mojo
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004 05:02:38 AM »

if it is knitted, then they must have knit it "longways" and found a way to let the yarn dangle from the edges but neatly tied so that it won't unravel....

I second this.  It might be knitted horizontally with the yarn ends left long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlings
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004 05:11:17 AM »

Yes. longways is definitely the way to go if you want to make a similar scarf. A scarf knitted this way goes really quickly, too, which is a bonus. You wouldn't believe how much of the time spent knitting a scarf in the usual way is actually spent turning the work!

You may think that all that casting on and binding off is a chore, but since it's a scarf with no real stitch pattern the number of cast-on stitches doesn't need to be precise.

This type of scarf is also a great way to use up odd yarns.

Do a garter stitch gauge swatch to calculate your gauge. If you're going to use a few different weights of yarn in your scarf, knit your swatch in the one you'll use the most or the "average" weight. Determine your stitches-per-inch and multiply this by the number of inches of desired scarf length.

Cast that number of stitches onto a long circular needle, leaving a long tail (9 inches or so) at the beginning of the work. At the end of the cast on row, cut the yarn, leaving a long tail there too.
Knit the next row in either the same yarn or another one. Leave a long tail at the beginning of your row, knit to the end and cut the yarn, leaving a long tail.  

If you want wide stripes, you still need to break the yarn at the end of every row.

Continue until the scarf is as wide as you want it and bind off loosely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emling
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004 06:37:49 AM »

As for the fringes--I have seen these scarves, and they look to me like they're made of knitted strands.  One way to get a fringe that looks similar is to make a crocheted fringe--just do a long single crochet strand for each bit of fringe.  That way you won't have that raw yarn look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepaper
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004 06:52:21 AM »

thank you starlings, that sounds like i could do it once i get some circular needles. Please don't laugh, this is probably a reeeeeaaaallllllllly  dumb question.... say if the scarf was 60 inches long, how on earth can all of that fit on any needle? do they make needles that long? wouldn't i poke my eye out?

As for the fringes--I have seen these scarves, and they look to me like they're made of knitted strands. One way to get a fringe that looks similar is to make a crocheted fringe--just do a long single crochet strand for each bit of fringe. That way you won't have that raw yarn look.
I think you are right emling, i could use a teeny crochet hook and it would probably look like that.

ok, i'm going to practice on this before the January portion of our craftalong un-swap calls for knitting.
thanks everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlings
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004 07:05:06 AM »

say if the scarf was 60 inches long, how on earth can all of that fit on any needle? do they make needles that long? wouldn't i poke my eye out?

You'd be surprised. A 40 inch needle would be a safe bet. I don't own anything longer than 32 inches, so I guess I must have used one of those (haven't made one of these scarves for a few years, and I'm SO bad at keeping project notes).

You will not poke your eye out if you're very very careful. No, just kidding.
Remember: the needles are the same length, it's the cord that's longer! The project just sits nicely in your lap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 6 Problem Solving Winter Beauty Products
Top Picks for Teeth Whiteners
How to Apply Winter Makeup
How to Create Smokey Eyes in 5 Easy Steps
How to Use Your Lipstick in Different Ways
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...