A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,735
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Roommate not crafty, but thinks she is....  (Read 1787 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

allerby

You gave me the best mix tape I have

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2007 05:44:54 PM »

So, here's the story.  My future roommate (we move in in August, she's a friend from school) is in charge of bringing our kitchen table to our apartment.  We were talking a week or so ago about how she wants to paint it.  I gave her a few suggestions, which were basically limited to a really dark blacky stain (it's a wood table), or just nice black paint.  Very simple.  I don't want to be mean, because her heart is in the right place, but when it comes to projects her execution is kind of lacking (things come out looking.... kind of..... bad).  Anyway, I thought that black would be really nice, simple, elegant, and basically foolproof.  Not to mention, it would really suit our apartment!  However.... she just sent me this email:
Hey girls! I just wanted to let you know that our kitchen table is going to be very colorful. I am going to paint my dresser a dark blue, green, and really deep purple color so I was just planning on using the leftover paint to paint the table...how does that sound to you?

Um.... so here's the question.  Besides the fact that that sounds literally hideous (why would you do that to a wooden This End Up table?), can I say anything?  It's going to be in our common area, where we entertain, etc.  Do I  say anything and let her foster her creative side (at the expense of having a "colorful" table in our living space)?  I don't want to be THAT roommate, but jeez, I don't want a green/blue/purple table.... and also I have to do the chairs (recover, paint), and I don't want to do something I think is ugly just to have it match.

What to do, craftsters??? Help a nervous roommate out! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Check out this awesome craft blog: http://deadladyyarn.wordpress.com/  (And I'm not just saying that because it's my BFF's Wink )
BeltwaySpinner

Living the Dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007 06:17:42 PM »

Move...

Ok barring that.  If you don't want to hurt her feelings, I think you may have to live with it.  (At least for a while.)  Once a few people come over and comment on your 'unique' table, she may realize it is not the masterpiece she believes it to be.  When you invite your boyfriend or family over - throw a huge tablecloth over it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trinashere
nerd and a half.

(witty comment goes here)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007 08:11:22 AM »

Sorry - I'd say tell her no. Let her know that she can be as crafty as she wants to with her own stuff in her own space, but when it comes to common area stuff, everybody needs to agree. There's no way I'd let a roommate ruin a piece of our furniture, and you shouldn't have to either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The art of losing isn't hard to master; so many things seem filled with the intent to be lost that their loss is no disaster. ~ Elizabeth Bishop
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007 08:16:12 AM »

LOl reading your post I thought "tablecloth". Is she paying for the table fully & it's technically hers? If so you can't look a gift horse in the mail. I DO NOT RECCOMEND SHARING COSTS OF FURNTITURE AT THIS POINT IN LIFE. Yes, it's caps on purpose. She's just a roomie, even if you are great freinds chances are you won't be roomies for more than a couple years at best.

Is the table going to be viewable from the couch? Get 'too much' fabric & make throw pillows then with the 'leftovers' make a tablecloth.

Hey, look at it this way, you could have a guy roommate whose idea of a table is half a sheet of Masonite thrown on top of a stack of milk crates...

The other really diplomatic way to deal with it is to simply say to everyone who gives the table a look is to say "my room mate is really excited about learning how to paint".

Better yet, get with her and teach her how to paint- gift her a nice brush or two. Bring some black to incoporate if you think you can convince her sweetly. Then, even if it's bright it will be well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
how_german
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007 08:17:02 AM »

Why don't you say something along the lines of, "Oh, and I just went out and bought all the stain for it today!".

Then she'll be pretty much obligated to stain it black.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thefloridagurl
Crafting keeps me sane.

Rockabilly with a Vintage twist

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007 12:48:53 AM »

I would simply talk to her telling that she can do HER room whichever colour she pleases, but that the shared area (I am assuming this will go in the area you both use, why else would you even bother, right?) will have a colour that you both agree to.

There is no need to be rude, offer to paint the table together, and maybe show her some techniques, so you wont come along as a "smart ass".

I am sure she only tries to be nice doing that and doesnt try to bully you into some colour that make your eyes hurt. And if she already went along and painted it, make a pretty tablecloth. IMO - a tables paint job is nothing to argue about at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ollieorange
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007 01:50:43 PM »

I was stuck in an apartment with my best friend- she has no taste and no sense of style (she's the first one to say this)- we had the ugliest tables ever- she insisted we use them - plastic laminate woodgrain table with rust on the "chromed" sides, busted up ripped orange vinyl "matching" chairs, plastic laminate coffee table, her granmother's perma-dusty kitchen items that were older than both of us combined, oh I could go on... I've got a degree in Interior Design, it was not easy for me to deal with this. I picked my battles, got over the tables. Somehow after 2 years of living together, we are still best friends.
I think you should speak up, but just remember, it's easier to live with a piece of furniture that can't talk back or get it's feelings hurt than a person that can. Pick your battles! I'm happier to have KT as a friend rather than had cool furniture for those 2 years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amber
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007 05:52:39 PM »

If its not going to kill you to look at it everyday, and have friends/family see it, then just deal with it. I personally like finding ugly things to incorporate into my designs (however, that table does sound HIDEOUS) just to add some vintage flair and see how I can get crafty and tie it in with the room.
  With that said, be prepared to deal with whatever may happen..my roomate paints to relax, and after telling her I liked her portraits (had to compliment something) I now have a 4ftx4ft portrait of this ugly pale middle aged bearded man hanging in my hall...kind of looks like coffee was spilled onto the canvas then left in the sun for 10 years. So yah, be careful to live with it but not encourage it if that is going to be your route.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allerby

You gave me the best mix tape I have

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007 06:29:57 PM »

Thanks for all the advice you guys!  I tend to agree with ollieorange and amber.  It is probably something I can live with- don't want to start picking battles too early Smiley  I have had a sharp lookout for cute table cloths, under Penlowe's very sage advice (urban outfitters has some very nice tapestries that just could work).

She's painting the table in another part of the state, and we will be coming together to habitate later this August, so any chances of visiting and "helping" her paint are kind of out, but I would have liked to go over there and just get my hands on the thing (I love to refinish furniture!)

Last year, another of my good friends, Em, went potluck in the dorms, and her roomie informed her that she had a rug that sort of looked like a "mauve bath mat".  The mauve bath mat was a huge joke for the weeks before she moved in, and she really expected to be horrified.  It turned out to not be the ugliest thing on the planet, and she was able to live with it.  So now I just keep crossing my fingers that the table is going to be a mauve bath mat situation.... not as bad as I had imagined!

Anyway, I have been proactive- I bought this great coffee table at a yard sale this weekend, to up the design appeal of our living space:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Check out this awesome craft blog: http://deadladyyarn.wordpress.com/  (And I'm not just saying that because it's my BFF's Wink )
SpottedFrog
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007 07:11:44 AM »

Nice find! Make sure you have those little clear rubber dots to keep the glass top from sliding around, drunk guys can be very clumsy.... oh c'mon it's college ; )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Braided Crown with Your Hair
Tips for Managing Gray Hairs
Tips for Taking Care of Your Hair This Winter
Top 7 Hair Myths
Top Hair Trends of 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...