A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
354 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Would you buy these?  (Read 1184 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pipkin2020
« on: July 31, 2007 01:43:17 PM »

Hi, I've just started trying to hawk my lovely sock monsters on the web, and wondered if you trusty craftsters could let me know what you think of a) my monsters and b) my site.  I don't sell through this site, but I do link to another online shop where you can buy them (my aunt's, she's giving me free shop space, the star).

I'm being ambitious with the pricing, as I figure I can always lower it, but not really raise it.  I've already done one craft fair with the sock monsters at slightly lower prices, and people bought them, so...

Please please, I value your opinions, so if you think there's owt I've missed or could do better, let me know. This is the first time I've tried to sell anything I've made, even though I've been running with scissors for many a year now Cheesy  This is also my first attempt at a webpage, and even though it's an out-of-the-box blog, personally I'm bloody impressed! Took a long time and plenty of swear words, but I did it all on my own - lol

www.oddsocks.wordpress.com

[I still have a load more monsters to add, but don't have much time, so the site's going up in dribs and drabs at the mo]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not enough is being done for the apathetic

http://www.pickymiss.com
gilowyn
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007 02:36:52 PM »

It's easier to raise prices when demand increases, so that the people who bought at the beginning do not feel short-changed.

Other than that, you might want to work a little more carefully when sculpting the mouth as well when aligning the color breaks at the ears.

Are you actually using old socks? A lot of people will have hygienic concerns with that. And be careful how closely you work with John Murphy's patterns and ideas...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007 06:52:12 AM »

I always wondered where this deformed animal craze came from. I'm not terribly hip to such trends, so it seemed to spring from nowhere. I thought it was some sort of take on Tim Burton or something.

On the pinkish one the sock is stretched so thin you can see the stuffing. The sock might look cool with the pattern, but I wouldn't want to see the stuffing. Might want to go with thicker or denser socks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gilowyn
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007 10:07:16 AM »

This "craze" as you call it comes from the book Stupid Sock Creatures:

It's fun, I took some pointers from it as well - but I still think that cute just sells better than weird. I already did my lips his way before getting the book, but i.e. appreciated an idea on how to attach the arms in a decent way. This is my result:

The thing is, the author John Murphy is selling his creatures as well, and I am not big on copying stuff. Which is why I do own a couple of books, but only ever read them - I have never used any of the patterns, but just take my sock critters the way they come.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007 10:08:37 AM by gilowyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pipkin2020
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007 12:32:16 AM »

"The thing is, the author John Murphy is selling his creatures as well, and I am not big on copying stuff. Which is why I do own a couple of books, but only ever read them - I have never used any of the patterns, but just take my sock critters the way they come."

Agreed. I was given this book for my birthday, and it's what started me off. But yes, I got a couple of techniques but have never copied any of his creatures. I have fun with my monsters, and where's the fun is just copying? Hence I make fish and frogs and other stuff too. I dropped John Murphy an email, but never heard back, I guess he's a busy guy.

Thanks for the stuffing tip - duly noted and investigated Smiley

Any thoughts on the site itself?

Oh and Gilowyn? I think your creatures are soooo adorable!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007 12:33:39 AM by pipkin2020 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not enough is being done for the apathetic

http://www.pickymiss.com
gilowyn
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007 01:24:05 AM »

I like the general feel of the blog, but there isn't that much to evaluate yet... and I personally don't like the WordPress pop-ups.

As for the creatures, try to come up with a personal signature or style.  Right now, they still look like the book's creatures to me. I go for "cute" in general, my critters have my label attached, and their faces and belly buttons are my "signature", so to speak. Plus, some of them are sold with individual paintings, which no one else is doing.

Again, I would avoid using old socks. It might seem a charming idea, but people will not buy them... I wouldn't. John Murphy offers sending in your own socks, which is a whole different story. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gilowyn
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007 02:08:06 AM »

How about adding your own banner?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

chinareddest
China red porcelain

china red porcelain----Lucky egg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007 07:04:34 PM »

I have to admire your design, cute, suitable and attractive, are you a professional graphic designer? 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007 12:01:21 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Quoted image change to link. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gilowyn
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007 01:08:05 AM »

Nope, no education whatsoever - but I work in marketing, so I actually have to do this kind of stuff occasionally... and I like playing with Macromedia software.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fuzzymonkey
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007 05:39:16 AM »

Your monsters are charming and your text and stories are spot on. I think that they definitely sell the product. Do you enclose the monster's story when it leaves for its new home? So clever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

well, i ain't often right, but i've never been wrong, seldom turns out the way it does in the song;
once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Twist on French Manicure
Smokey Eye Tutorial
The Monday Makeover - The Fresh Face
How to Do Skeleton Makeup for Halloween
FDA Approves First Facial Filler in US
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...