A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One hour hat!  (Read 39268 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2004 03:50:19 PM »

snow - tell us what you don;t understand and we'll help.  If I see k3tog, I would knit three together and not give it a second thought.   I think that was your question.........the point is that we are here to help. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

snowwhitesuicide
Thrash&Burn

Another twenty-something knitter with an attitude.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2004 04:34:00 PM »

You guys are swell

Okay let me know how I do here...

12/30/04 -- THIS PATTERN HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS THREAD BECAUSE IT WAS SOMEONE'S COPYRIGHTED PATTERN AND IT CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION. -- LEAH (THE CRAFTSTER ADMIN)

So pretty much the wrong side thing and the gauge is confusing me! I'm kinda learning as I go here!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004 02:08:59 PM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gertie_T
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2004 04:53:16 PM »

Hmmm, let me see if I can help.

The gauge is pretty simple. It just means that you will have 2 stitches per inch, and 4 and 1/2 rows (lengthwise) per inch of knitting. I don't generally worry about the rows, but I definitely check how many stitches I'm getting across per inch. I recommend making a swatch before you start. Cast on maybe 8 stitches and knit maybe 3 inches in stockinette. Then just measure to see how many stitches you have per inch. It should, hopefully be two. If not, adjust your needle size. Or, if you're a tight knitter, relax and have a glass of wine. (Though that might do more harm than good in the long run)

The wrong side is the side that people won't see while you're wearing it--the inside, if you will. The pattern is basically saying that you should designate your first row after your cast-on as the "wrong side." You will always purl on the wrong side EXCEPT for the third row when you will knit to make the cute little ridge on the brim of the hat (see my picture if you don't know what I mean).

The K3tog is exactly what is sounds like--just knit three stitches at once with one fell swoop.

I tied the hat off this way: break your yarn, leaving a really long tail. Thread it through the remaining stitches with a tapestry needle. You can make a small knot here to secure the stitches by picking up a knit loop on the inside of the hat with the needle, put the needle through, and then make a knot through the yarn (does that make sense at all?!) Now just start sewing down the hat with mattress stitch to close up your seam.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2004 04:54:16 PM »

for the gauge think algebra, across (x) is 2 stitches and up (y) is 4 1/2 rows per inch. so basically, measure 2 stitches across, and it should be an inch, and measure 4 1/2 rows up and THAT should be an inch, make sense?

GEEZE! Lately I have been posting at the exact same time as other people, so here's your double reply.......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2004 04:58:50 PM »

did anyone else have the problem that the bottom ridge didn't want to stay flipped up?  it looks fine as it, kind of like a little band around the bottom, I was just wondering if I was the only one.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snowwhitesuicide
Thrash&Burn

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2004 05:43:46 PM »

Hmmm, let me see if I can help.

The gauge is pretty simple. It just means that you will have 2 stitches per inch, and 4 and 1/2 rows (lengthwise) per inch of knitting. I don't generally worry about the rows, but I definitely check how many stitches I'm getting across per inch. I recommend making a swatch before you start. Cast on maybe 8 stitches and knit maybe 3 inches in stockinette. Then just measure to see how many stitches you have per inch. It should, hopefully be two. If not, adjust your needle size. Or, if you're a tight knitter, relax and have a glass of wine. (Though that might do more harm than good in the long run)

The wrong side is the side that people won't see while you're wearing it--the inside, if you will. The pattern is basically saying that you should designate your first row after your cast-on as the "wrong side." You will always purl on the wrong side EXCEPT for the third row when you will knit to make the cute little ridge on the brim of the hat (see my picture if you don't know what I mean).

The K3tog is exactly what is sounds like--just knit three stitches at once with one fell swoop.

I tied the hat off this way: break your yarn, leaving a really long tail. Thread it through the remaining stitches with a tapestry needle. You can make a small knot here to secure the stitches by picking up a knit loop on the inside of the hat with the needle, put the needle through, and then make a knot through the yarn (does that make sense at all?!) Now just start sewing down the hat with mattress stitch to close up your seam.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions!

That was extremely helpful Gertie, thank you. I'm gonna give this bad mamma a shot when I'm done butchering my moms scarf [anyone else find that knitting with that Homespun yarn is a pain in the ass? You knit even a tiny bit looser or tighter than the last stick and it looks like crap. Maybe it's just me.]

I'll post the hat when I do it, or pictures of me sobbing into a tangle of yarn when I screw it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2004 07:39:55 PM »

snow to quote Rob Schneider in Waterboy........"you can do it!"

THIS ROCKS   Logged

artistrachelmarie
Rachel Marie

Knitty Dirty Girl

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2004 05:53:47 AM »

grrrl that's hot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snowwhitesuicide
Thrash&Burn

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2004 10:33:53 AM »

I was gonna try this today, I'm too sad to knit I think...RIP Dimebag Darrell
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2004 01:22:26 PM »

It certainly is a senseless tragedy.  I have the same reaction when a member of The Ramones dies.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cheddar Bacon Waffles
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Waffles
Toasted Turkey Sandwich
Super Bowl Sunday Bites: Buffalo Chicken Dip
Truffle Mac and Cheese Is Comfort Food at Its Finest
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...