A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,518
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One hour hat!  (Read 39678 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chee
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2004 10:37:05 AM »

OK, I really want to do this hat.  I made a scarf for a friend out of rowan ribbon twist and have enough left to make the hat too.  Here's the thing... I really want to knit this in the round.  I read in SNBN that to change a sweater pattern to in the round, you just cast on two less for the front and two less for the back.  Using this logic, could I take the pattern and just cast on two less and knit it on circular needles instead? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2004 11:04:00 AM »

well, actually, since this is so much smaller than a sweater, I'd advise having 1 or no less stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gertie_T
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2004 11:10:16 AM »

Oh my goodness! I'm so shocked that she pulled the pattern off the site. I mean geez, it's not like that pattern was reinventing the wheel or something! It's actually one of the more basic hat patterns I've seen. And she was offering it free in the first place!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
goodkarma
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2004 12:05:21 PM »

For a sweater, yes, you would cast on two fewer stitches for the front and two fewer stitches for the back. That's because each seam you stitch up (the side seams on a sweater) takes two stitches... kind of like the seam allowance when you're sewing.

When you are making a hat, there would only be one seam, so you could cast on two fewer stitches total.

Clear as mud?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tere
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2004 12:48:23 PM »

I know what you mean, Gertie; I was thinking the same thing, and then I figured well, maybe its different if its your pattern and you're the designer...but yeah, big deal, eh? I think most of the time if patterns are posted on boards it is for the sake of helping someone out (like a couple pages back, in this thread). And it IS free...o well, she is making a point I suppose  Smiley
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2004 01:08:07 PM »

I just think it's funny b/c it's a variation of a common pattern...  oh well.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2004 01:33:16 PM »

kategirl- i have a 22 inch head and 4 st/inch so how many stitches do i need to cast on for that hat? 88, round to 90??? i think that's right but not sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2004 07:27:01 AM »

kategirl- i have a 22 inch head and 4 st/inch so how many stitches do i need to cast on for that hat? 88, round to 90??? i think that's right but not sure.

yup, that's how the logic works!  hopefully that will work out well.....  as I've said before, hats hate me.  lol.    Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mayerlove
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2004 09:29:08 AM »

thanks i'll see how it turns out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2004 10:06:36 AM »

I found this thread right after knitting this hat

which I made holding white Lamb's Pride worsted weight, white sparkly wool-ease and Patons Divine (very white and fuzzy) together on size 19 needles...it made such a nice smooshy, soft fabric, unfortunately its a bit large for the friend for whom it was made. Fortunately, i have a big head and it fits me fabulously! I think I need I need to refine my gauge-this thread really helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Haircuts for Long Hair
How to Know When to Cut Long Hair
How to Go from Really Long Hair to Really Short Hair
The Best Long Hairstyles for Round Faces
The Best Long Haircuts With Side Bangs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...