A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,567
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Willow (Now with fancy schmancy modeled pictures)  (Read 5271 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mmdm
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007 03:40:56 PM »

It's really pretty and so cozy looking. If you decide to felt it, keep in mind that it will srhink much more lengthwise than widthwise. Also, your cables won't stand out nearly as well after felting. Before I felted it, I'd knit up a little swatch with the leftovers, including a cabled bit, and felt that. Include a little stripe of the contrasting yarn too, because all yarns don't felt at the same rate. See if you like it. But if it was a pretty quick knit, you'd probably be happier with a reknit. Once felted, there is no going back. Still, try felting a swatch and see what you think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fragolina_piccolina

It means "little strawberry" in Italian ;o).

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2007 10:45:58 PM »

Heh, I'm lazy! I would just pop it in a hot wash, then in the dryer and see what comes out. Since it didn't take too long to knit... but you might end up throwing everything away (this is coming from the girl that has made about 5 sweaters so far and only wears one of them occasionally).

You should probably listen to the people that are screaming "FROG!", but go with felting if you're adventurous. If so, I would knit a swatch and pop it in the wash first. Good luck with whatever you decide.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..*Melanie*
The Italian Knitter... don't insult the sticks, or you'll have to watch out for my knitting mafia!
cranberry
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007 01:16:35 AM »

FROG! It didn't take you long to knit it on the first round. Knit that jumper you deserve. Or sell it on, get some yarn and do a new one. I've done that as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nel83
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007 06:34:06 AM »

Definitely frog! Since it didn't take long to knit in the first place, a smaller version should take even less time. You can never be sure how something will turn out felted, & it would be a shame to waste all that yarn. Great job, though!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help! My Stash is trying to eat me!
darkest.artist
darkest.artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007 06:39:54 AM »

i would sell it, use the money to buy new yarn and make it again in a smaller version. that way, someone else can enjoy it, and you won't have to frog that beautiful coat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.redbubble.com/people/darkestartist
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde

nill illigitimi carborundum
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2007 06:56:29 AM »

I have to add the vote for selling it and remaking - this would be what we call the classic win-win.

You will not be changing the amount of work you would have to do because you would have to frog the entire thing, why not get paid for the work you put into it.  Felting is just so unpredictable and there is only one chance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2007 08:48:07 AM »

Take the sleeves off and shorten them, and then put them back on.  The rest of the sweater looks perfectly big and cozy to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
Jejune
Grand Vizier

Arrrrrrrrrr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007 09:21:50 AM »

Well, I foolishly tried felting it a couple of months back - such a bad idea.  I'm going to try to salvage it, but it may be impossible.  Grrr.  Well, it's a lesson for me, I suppose, and it does seem to go with my art school ideal of messing up big if I'm going to mess up at all. 

Basically, it did indeed shrink lengthwise, but remains as wide as ever.  I I cut off the collar and button bands, since they were ruined, and I've got new yarn to reknit them.  I now need to try to tailor the rest of the coat to fit me, and I'm not a seamstress, so it may not work.  I suppose I'm learning a lot, but it's an awful shock to ruin a sweater, isn't it? 

I need to do something about the shoulders, which got puffy in the felting process, and something about the width.  I may try adding a couple of stitches in the back to gather it, I'm not sure.  I may try bringing it in at the seams.  At least I can cut with impunity now, I guess.  And having ruined it already, there's not much more I can do to wreck it, so there's little risk in experimenting. 

The cables actually stayed pretty well defined, to my surprise.  It just was not a good idea to felt the poor garment.  I feel awful doing that to such nice yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knittingkninja.com/ - the inevitable blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Thanksgiving Day Pie Tips
Baking The Perfect Pie
Tell Me Why: Pies!
Gobble Up These Adorable Thanksgiving Turkey Cookies
How to Make a Lemon and Pistachio Tart
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...