A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recommend yarn for baby booties! Pls help  (Read 816 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Legerdemain

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2007 11:22:00 AM »

Hey all you smart 'n' savvy craftsters!

I have to make a pair of baby booties asap.  Like I have tonite and possibly tomorrow to make them, but I work FT....so, yeah.  Quick is best.

What sorts of yarn should I use?  I have plenty of cotton at home (sugar and cream variety) but I don't know if that's a good call or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Wist

Ravelry ID: Legerdemain
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007 11:24:23 AM »

Cotton is used for a lot of baby stuff. Sugar n' cream is rough, but if you have the time to run it through the washer and dryer a time or two (maybe with some fabric softener?) it would work, I think. Otherwise, mom might get the booties and think they are too rough and never try and wash them, or think they need to be handwashed or minimally washed, which wouldn't soften them up much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hainangel2000
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007 01:41:18 PM »

baby yarn (simply soft,and baby yarn from lion brand, bernet has lots of baby yarn) then if you want yarn that is wonderful baby yarn from a yarn shop I recommend debbie bliss yarns. Oh it is awesome stuff!

Anyway hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Legerdemain

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007 02:55:36 PM »

Thanks girls for the suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Wist

ebullientemily
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007 03:08:02 PM »

If you're on that much of a deadline, I would say just use the cotton and hope for the best. If you know the recipient very well, you can find out more about their preferences (color and fiber) and perhaps promise another pair of booties later on. But I think Sugar and Cream would work just fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AWynkoop
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007 11:36:41 AM »

I vote for cashmere. It is supersoft and booties only take a small amount of yarn.  I would say no on the cotton, I just think it would be too rough for little baby tootsies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
Legerdemain

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007 12:08:33 PM »

Phew, I've bought myself a few more days to do these.  I'm not one for doing a crappy job, so I'm glad I have more time---until next tues.  So that's good!

Ok, so "no" to the cotton then.... I kinda figured it might be a bit on the rough side anyways.

So I guess I'll go out and buy some fresh yarn to make them.  Do you gals know if Michaels carries something suitable?  My LYS tends to be a bit...well...unfrie ndly. So I'll go there but as a last resort.

Thanks for all your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Wist

Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007 01:34:20 PM »

Michael's has a TON of baby yarn (at least the one by me does).  It takes up a whole half an aisle.

The Bernat Baby Boucle always looks cute to me, and it's considered bulky so it would probably knit up fast.  It seems to be nice and soft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007 01:40:48 PM »

I concur. You will have several options to choose from at Michaels. Check out what weights you need for a couple of different patterns you're considering, because I bet they'll have more than one weight of baby yarn, even.

I think the cotton would have passed if you washed it before giving, so if you ever have an emergency bootie situation again, go ahead and do it. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JennBabe
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007 02:05:40 PM »

Bernat CottonTots is a nice soft cotton for babies, if you want to go the cotton route.  Also, Bernat makes an organic cotton, which is a whole lot softer than the kitchen cotton.  If you want acrylic, there are a bunch of choices at Michaels... I like Lion brand babysoft, and cotton-ease a whole lot.  Bernat Satin Sport is also a good DK weight acrylic, which is a nice weight for baby booties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brown Rice: The Ultimate Good-For-You Grain
Kylie and Kendall Share Their Fave Red Carpet Looks
Kylie and Kendall Share Their Best Makeup Tips
Watch Little Mix on Seventeen Style Diaries!
Stay Pretty All Summer With This Waterproof Makeup!
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...