A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,866
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress for my 4-year-old: pattern is Farbenmix "Muriel"  (Read 2320 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarantha
« on: July 31, 2007 06:36:09 AM »

This was my first attempt at sewing clothes: A dress for my daughter. Since it was my first time reading a pattern I messed it up a little - the neckline is too low, because I didn't realise the pattern wanted me to cut an additional piece just like the shape of the neckline to use as a "background" (no idea what it's called in English, the piece of fabric you use for strengthening the armholes and stuff..).. so I accidentally cut that part off the dress itself.. I figured out what I had done wrong, but I didn't have enough fabric to start all over again. All in all I'm pretty pleased, though. It has a hidden zipper at the back, and that worked out really well.

The dress:

Silly action shot:

What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hallo aus Deutschland! Hi from Germany!
I'm interested in personal swaps - and if you live in Europe, we could swap some fabrics - PM me!

http://www.wists.com/sarantha
ColorfulGreyscale

Who needs Valentine's Day? HAPPY VAMPIRE'S DAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007 06:39:32 AM »

Aww, that's real cute! I bet your daughter loves it. I like the shape of the dress and the fabric you used (and who cares about a few missing pieces, anyway? She's rocking that t-shirt Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi, I'm ColorfulGreyscale. I'm new to Craftster, and I'm interested in ATC swaps and making crafty friends! Cheesy
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007 07:59:46 AM »

This was my first attempt at sewing clothes: A dress for my daughter. Since it was my first time reading a pattern I messed it up a little - the neckline is too low, because I didn't realise the pattern wanted me to cut an additional piece just like the shape of the neckline to use as a "background" (no idea what it's called in English, the piece of fabric you use for strengthening the armholes and stuff..)..

Your FIRST attempt? Wow!

BTW, the English word is "facing". But background makes more sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
yogagirl
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007 08:08:41 AM »

I love it!! Your daughter wears it so well. I love these farenbix patterns. They look so European and style-y (like your daughter!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Charfish
Ever have a 24 hour hangover and feel like you just got off the tilt-a-whirl? Welcome to Pregnancy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007 10:22:24 AM »

That is adorable!  So is your dress! Smiley  Great Job!  Now I'm off googling Farbenmix...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007 04:54:02 PM »

I think its great!  As far as making mistakes go, if you don't tell, no one would know - it looks very well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheytown
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007 09:44:38 PM »

it looks fabulous! i would have had no idea you made any mistakes, let alone that it was your first attempt at clothes. wow! i really like the shape of the dress and the contrasting piece really adds to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarantha
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007 10:37:19 AM »

This was my first attempt at sewing clothes: A dress for my daughter. Since it was my first time reading a pattern I messed it up a little - the neckline is too low, because I didn't realise the pattern wanted me to cut an additional piece just like the shape of the neckline to use as a "background" (no idea what it's called in English, the piece of fabric you use for strengthening the armholes and stuff..)..

Your FIRST attempt? Wow!

BTW, the English word is "facing". But background makes more sense.

Facing! I knew I had heard the word somewhere, but since it really doesn't make that much sense, I forgot it again Smiley

Thanks for all the nice comments! Before that all I had sewn was purses - so I'm not a complete novice with a sewing machine (I made about three totes before attempting this), only a complete novice at reading patterns  Roll Eyes - well, not anymore, now I recognise facing when I see it in a pattern Grin

I love the shape of the dress, too - although the front seams were a bit of a nightmare, because I fretted I'd mess them up and the dress would end up looking asymmetrical. So I'm pretty chuffed I got that right. Lots of pins helped me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hallo aus Deutschland! Hi from Germany!
I'm interested in personal swaps - and if you live in Europe, we could swap some fabrics - PM me!

http://www.wists.com/sarantha
missmonkeymae
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007 06:35:14 PM »

I love the Farbenmix patterns!  I have the Anna wrap dress pattern (but haven't used it yet!).  Hoping to break out the fall fabric and take a stab at it!  The dress looks fabulous.  You could change the look of "muriel" so easy depending on what fabrics you choose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sambag
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007 07:59:54 PM »

That looks great! I didn't notice any mistakes....I think it looks wonderful, of course I'm new to sewing.. P.S. - love your username!

-_-Samantha-_-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-_- Samantha -_-

"You don't need fancy highbrow traditions or money to really learn. You just need people with the desire to better themselves." Adam Cooper and Bill Collage, Accepted, 2006
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Sun Star Image Effect Part 1/2
How to Create a Sun Star Image Effect Part 2/2
How to Choose a Wardrobe for an Outdoor Portrait Part 1/2
How to Choose a Wardrobe for an Outdoor Portrait Part 2/2
How to Understand what is Important in a Portrait
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...