A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Completed Spiderweb Capelet  (Read 36507 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sheila B.
« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2005 08:24:39 AM »

I am not sure if this is where I post questions, or if I should start a new topic.  Any who, I found this kick ass website when a girl in my Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater SNB group (newly started) suggested it after I encountered the infamous row 4. 

So, I frogged my capelet, finished it properly, decided I didn't like the color, frogged it again, dyed it, balled it,and am now ready to cast on again. 

Here's my problem:  Apparently I have big man shoulders because the capelet was both too short and too tight.  The too short problem is easy to fix (just add another 4 or 8 rows of pattern), but with the too tight issue I am not exactly sure how many extra stitches to add in.  I would like to make it one spider web wider.  I think I need to add 5 stitches, but am concerned I am wrong because that makes it an odd number (97).

I would love some help.  I don't really want to do any more frogging.

Thanks,
Sheila
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HelenaJane

I am Vodkasan Tobacci Tao!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2005 09:53:23 AM »

I'm not exactly sure how many st = a pattern repeat, if it is 5, then casting on an extra 5 would solve the problem. 
OR you could try moving up to size 17's
OR you could make a border by adding the extra stitches (say 6) and knitting the first and last 3 in garter stich or something..
I had the length issue too, I think I added an extra 9 rows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog! KNITTING FOR BOOZEHAGS....
www.knittingforboozehags.com
Sheila B.
« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2005 01:10:16 PM »

OK, thanks.  I hadn't thought of adding a border.  I am going to try to hold out one more day (and work on something else) and see if someone knows if one web is 5 stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crumpet
« Reply #153 on: April 05, 2005 12:42:18 AM »

One web is 5 stitches.  I made a narrower version of the capelet for my 8-year-old niece by losing four (or so) of the "web" repeats.  I also made a bigger version for my cousin by knitting the pattern as is, but changing to 12mm needles, which worked well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sheila B.
« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2005 05:08:32 AM »

Thank you very much!  I don't think I can hold out one more minute to knit this thing.  My boys are off to school and my girls are still asleep!

I love this forum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloriana
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2005 09:57:05 PM »

I finished my capelet recently and I LOVE IT!  I used one skein of the Merino Frappe in pale pink.  This pattern is so quick and cute.... here's the result:

More details can be found at my blog - click on the link in my signature.  Thanks to everyone for great advice on this pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
cassiebella84
« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2005 09:50:02 AM »

I LOVE it , i was thinking about doing it for my next project i was kinda scared, now you give me the courage to go ahead and Wink try it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloriana
« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2005 07:11:32 AM »

You can totally do it!   It's really worth it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
Sheila B.
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2005 09:44:28 AM »

OK, it's taken forever to get these photos up.  Is there a secret that I don't know about? 

Anyway, after making the spider web capelet with yarnovers in row four (and switching it to circulars so it would fit) crafster was recommended to me and I discovered the pattern mistake.  So, I frogged it and knit it up again.  Then I cast off and found it was way too small.  I put it back on the needles with the intent to lengthen it, but decided I didn't like the color.  Here is a picture of what I thought was a boring color at the time.

Then I frogged it again and dyed it.  It was my first attempt at dying.  Desire is the mother of learning new crafts...or something like that.  I like how it turned out, and dying was fun.

I lengthened the capelet by 7 rows (rows 2-8) and widened it by one spiderweb (5 sts) to fit my big man shoulders.  It fits well now.  Here it is:

I have to say that after knitting it three times, I really grew to love the pattern.  This was my first lace and I found it relaxing as knitting should be, but not too boring like stockinette stitch can be.  Also, I love the way the spider webs have a vintage look to them (although it was less evident when the yarn became variegated).  I think the lace is ingenious and I want to knit it in different yarns and different shapes.  I don't know anything about lace, so I don't know if the designer put together other types of lace or completely made up her own.  In any case, the design rocks, Erin!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005 09:50:16 AM by Sheila B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bkknits29
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2005 06:17:05 PM »

Sheila, that is awesome! I'm so glad you got it finished! It looks beautiful on you. I'm glad the forum helped you. The yarn looks shiny or is that the varigation? Did you use the frappe? I hope to see it in person some day soon.

Beth
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ham Greens Soup
Figs Delicious Wings
Crazy Canuck Maple Leaf Ribs
Breakfast Sausage
Atlas of American Artisan Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...