A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make a tiny horrible flat look good?  (Read 1453 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

clearhearts
« on: July 30, 2007 04:25:42 AM »

I'm considering renting this place cos it's damn cheap and literally a 30 second walk from my college, but dear lord it's cramped &it's ugly :p

I'm looking to you lot for help! I can't paint &I can think of nothing I can do about this awful red carpet.... help!!

Any ideas? The carpets my biggest gripe tbh.

Thanks in advance xo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive415

Moderation in all things, including moderation

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007 05:14:08 AM »

Area rugs and lots of them. You can usually find really fun and inexpensive ones at IKEA. And lots of art on the wall. I love fabric on the walls when you can't paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yaxbooty
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007 05:51:47 AM »

I used to have this very same problem!  I bought a truckload of books about decorating apartments & small spaces.  This was my favorite:

http://www.amazon.com/Paris-Apartment-Romantic-Flea-Market-Budget/dp/0060391693/ref=pd_bbs_1/105-4987167-9773256?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185799605&sr=8-1
I didn't love it so much for the actual style, but for all the ideas. The styles were cool enough, just not me.

Since you have good basic colored furniture, could you get a print with some red and lots of black and do a full wall curtain regardless of the size of the windows?  Personally, I would get a crazy Pucci-esque print or some other 60's repro or vintage fabric.  Then maybe you could do some coordinating pillows.  All the pattern might detract atttention from the floor you don't like.

Tom from "Dress My Nest"  should come over to your flat.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007 11:28:07 AM by yaxbooty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
templetonacidophilus

Here is this morning's story! Are you ready?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007 11:06:33 AM »

If you're willing to shell out a little money you could put down carpet tiles... They stick to each other and sit on top of your existing carpet, and if you had to move you could take them with you...

http://www.florcatalog.com/
Every time their catalog comes I totally lock myself in the bathroom so I can read the whole thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007 02:44:39 PM »

I'm considering renting this place cos it's damn cheap and literally a 30 second walk from my college, but dear lord it's cramped &it's ugly
Go for it!  Lay an inexpensive rug over the red carpet, in a neutral color, like khaki/coir or sisal type.  Toss in a pillow or two with the red color so that it appears that the red carpet is intentional. 
Kitchen area:  Go to www.ikea.com and look at the Kvartal curtain panel system.  Attach hardware to ceiling above kitchen cabinet to block off area.  The panels slide.  You can attach canvas, artpaper, fabric to Kvartal hardware.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

clearhearts
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007 03:09:31 AM »

If you're willing to shell out a little money you could put down carpet tiles... They stick to each other and sit on top of your existing carpet, and if you had to move you could take them with you...

Every time their catalog comes I totally lock myself in the bathroom so I can read the whole thing.

It says on the website that you can't lay it over existing carpeting. Is that just a word of caution in case they get sued? Have you tried &tested it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
templetonacidophilus

Here is this morning's story! Are you ready?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007 09:42:00 AM »

It says on the website that you can't lay it over existing carpeting. Is that just a word of caution in case they get sued? Have you tried &tested it?

Y'know, I haven't tested it at all... and that's really weird, because I remember them claiming at one point you could put it over anything...
That's vexing  Undecided

I imagine if the carpet is very plush it might make the stickers unstick and the tiles separate from each other, but that's pure speculation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007 10:02:57 AM »

My dad owns a carpeting company, he said it's OK to lay over carpet as long as you don't glue it down (normally it's glued to a bare floor).  I have these things in the back of my car to cover the plastic flooring, even not glued down they don't slide around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
kewlchik
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007 09:30:39 AM »

If you are on a tight budget you can make cheap floorcloths out of painters canvas dropcloths.Like a fake zebra skin rug,etc. if you are crafty and can paint,that would really detract from the carpet.I don't think it is an ugly apartment,you just need to put some color into it,and I think you will be amazed at how different it will look.You didn't say what your style was,so it is hard for me to tell you what to do with it,but I think it is a really neat place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beckles339
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007 12:32:08 PM »

There are several magazines out there dedicated to small and cramped places and how to decorate them.  I agree with the one post about investing in a couple large area rugs in a neutral tone and then using the red as your pop color.  Even better, discover what the complimentary color is to the red and use that one to help calm down the red.  I don't know your style, but there are always ways to decorate even the ugliest of places.  This one isn't really that bad, just needs that personal touch.  Fabrics, pics, some functional storage, and some great curtains/window coverings would do some amazing transformations.  I'd say, go for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Merry Marble Snickerdoodles Recipe
How to Build a Layer Cake
Foolproof Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
Cinnamon-Apple Cake Recipe
Lighter Carrot Cake Parfait Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...